skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Paratrooper, scenario 13. This was my first experience into "adult" ASL. I have previously tried ASL: Starter Kit 1, scenarios 1 and 2. Tonight, with the help of Neil, I ventured into new rules and situations. Tonight I tackled my first experience with both mortars and HIP (hidden initial placement). I chose scenario 13 due to that fact that it had HIP, hills, grain fields, and mortars. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection of the scenario rules, there are no hills and no grain fields in this scenario.

I setup within 3 hexes to T3 as per rules and my German opponent set up completely hidden. My objective was to take 2 buildings at the far end of the map by the end of turn 8. If I could do so, I gain instant victory. The first move was mine. I created 4 stacks of troops, each with some type of SW with them. In hindsight, I wish I had spread them out more (as was my first initial thought upon setup). My first move was to move my mortars up into the trees. No contact. Second I moved my second stack, and took fire immediately from Germans sitting in a foxhole 1 hex away from one of my two objectives. I survived unscathed. Third move, I moved my second stack to the left. I then found another bunch of Germans to the left of my objective with a heavy machine gun. I now knew where most of my opponent was--Neil was being nice to me this is my only third game of ASL. What lay before me now was an objective straight in front of me with an open field with no cover.

We exchanged shots, mortar fire, and German and American slurs for a few turns. On turn 4, I realized, I needed to move or I was never going to take my objective. I was getting good hits with my mortar fire, but no deaths. The Germans were able to take out 1 squad of paratroopers, and the two mortar squads were getting pelted consistently. So, time to make my move. I fired up some white phosphorus, and made my move. 6 or so squads broke off the right and headed two stone building relatively close to my objective and in LOS of the main German force. Another couple of squads and leader broke off the left to take out the heavy machine gun.

The squad on the left was able to situate itself in a good forest hex, and started pounding the heavy machine gun. It wasn't great cover, but it was decent. That kept the left flank busy for a bit. The right flank had one squad and machine gun move up into the front house and with the help of the mortar fire in the back was able to finally drive the Germans off their gun in the foxhole. I was then able to fire some smoke and charge the house on T3. Three squads charged the house covered by smoke and mortar fire. The left flank was able to finally take out the heavy machine gun. The rolls were not with the Germans tonight. I broke 4 of their squads, and pressed on. My last move (courtesy of the ASL guru), was to move next to three of remaining squads, which caused to go DM, and caused them to route. However, with no where to go, the troops were elimated on turn 7. The buildings in S2 and T3 were secured by the American Paratroopers. The objective was obtained with negligible losses.

I am slowly getting this game. Each play, more rules are making more sense. I really like this game. I will pursue to play it whenever I get the chance. There is still a whole lot I don’t know, but in time, it will come. ASL is a good game with a heavy learning curve. It is too bad that it is so hard to learn, because anyone who likes squad level combat will like this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, infantry smoke. Isn't it great? Thanks for the AAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Horner
United Kingdom
Forres
Moray
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, thanks for sharing, I am just about to dip my toes into ASL starter kit 1. Have read the rules and am just waiting to tie a game up with my friend who already plays ASL. Am really looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orjan Pettersson
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good replay!

I remember this scenario very well. The mortars can turn this scenario very deadly. I think it was one of the best scenarios to get the feel for the new game system without having to constantly go through the massive, and enormously heavy, rule binder.

Looking forward to more sessions...maybe one of my own if I can get somebody to take time to play!

Orjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.