Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So rule 94.0 says:
Quote:
An unused MG WT may choose to use Sustained Fire when firing. If it does so...

Here are some questions this raised for us:

1. Does this mean that you add SF markers in addition to or instead of firing?

2. May SF markers be placed regardless of the type of fire (normal, op, final op)?

Regarding Conceal counters, rule 6.0:
Quote:
...Fire at a hex always affects all infantry and guns in that hex.
Adjust the unit's FP by the modifiers... Roll a d10... This one die roll is used individually against each unit in the hex...
and rule 15.0:
Quote:
...FP is reduced by one when firing at a Concealed unit...

3. What happens when firing at a hex that has one unit with a concealment marker and one without?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattes wrote:
1. Does this mean that you add SF markers in addition to or instead of firing?
We played our first game (actually 2 games) last night and used this optional rule. Our interpretation of 94.0 is that it is an augmentation of both designated fire and Op Fire (but not Final Op Fire). At the time the actual fire takes place the firer is marked with both a Used and Sustained Fire counter (which I wouldn't bother with in the future; the SF counter seems sufficient to identify that the firer is also used). The target hex and one eligible adjacent hex is also marked with an SF counter) and for the remainder of that turn that unit's Final Op Fire can only occur in the designated hexes.

Hattes wrote:
2. May SF markers be placed regardless of the type of fire (normal, op, final op)?
I don't believe it would be placed for Final Op Fire and in most cases wouldn't really be beneficial. After all, there is no limit to the number of times a unit can Final Op Fire. The only case I can think of where it might be useful is if the firer had paid 1CP to Final Op Fire at a range of 2 instead of at an adjacent unit.

Hattes wrote:
3. What happens when firing at a hex that has one unit with a concealment marker and one without?
I would apply the one die-roll rule and simply apply different modifiers to each result. After all, even with one die roll the target units might have different Casualty numbers and would have to be evaluated separately. Similar situations would occur if firing at a hex with infantry units or guns that are both in and out of a foxhole, a hex that contains both a mounted and unmounted infantry unit, firing with an intrinsic SATW at a hex with both an infantry unit and a gun/WT, or at a hex with both an infantry unit and a vehicle with a rear vulnerability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you put down sustained fire on two hexes that have units in them at the time (hitting them with Op Fire) you place the SF markers and then retain all the benefits of sustained fire on those two hexes for the rest of the turn? Or does sustained fire have to be placed on hexes which are empty of units at the time of placement? This optional rule seems to make MGs very powerful, if they are able to fire at two hexes with their Proficient FP and then maintain fire on those hexes for the rest of the turn if any other new units enter the hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
cillmhor wrote:
Can you put down sustained fire on two hexes that have units in them at the time (hitting them with Op Fire) you place the SF markers and then retain all the benefits of sustained fire on those two hexes for the rest of the turn? Or does sustained fire have to be placed on hexes which are empty of units at the time of placement? This optional rule seems to make MGs very powerful, if they are able to fire at two hexes with their Proficient FP and then maintain fire on those hexes for the rest of the turn if any other new units enter the hexes.

Again, I'm interpreting the rules as we played them last night (and I'm brand new to this system):

Sustained Fire is simply an extension of Op Fire, allowing MG WTs to do what they are best at: lay down a bunch of lead at a distance and keep the enemy's heads down. The SF counters would be placed after the attacker uses designated fire during the attacking player's turn or after Op Fire at a moving target during the opposing player's turn. The initial attack only affects that target and other units in the same hex. Any units that subsequently move into either hex would then be subject to Sustained Fire with the usual Final Op Fire -2 modifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Quote:
The SF counters would be placed after the attacker uses designated fire during the attacking player's turn or after Op Fire at a moving target during the opposing player's turn. The initial attack only affects that target and other units in the same hex. Any units that subsequently move into either hex would then be subject to Sustained Fire with the usual Final Op Fire -2 modifier.

This is correct.

And just to be clear - Sustained Fire can only be done with an UNUSED MG, so it can't be done during Final Op Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for both of your answers, it certainly makes MGs more of a potent weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.