$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Theobaldt Bursche
msg tools
Learning that Greenbrier Games will be at the Essen SPIEL fair this year got me really excited, as the company has put out many games over the years which have caught my eye and had me intrigued again and again. But living outside the US both without a venue to aquire them locally as well as wary of international orders because of shipping costs, double taxes, customs duties and so on, I never had the opportunity to get my hands on any of those wonderful games.

But with my hopes now skyrocketing, I'd like to know if there was a way to learn what games* will be on sale by Greenbrier at Essen and especially, if Yashima will be among them. Is an entry in W. Eric Martin's well-established SPIEL preview to be expected, for instance? Or has anyone reading this forum any information what games from Greenbrier will be available?

I would also be highly interested in any pre-order or order/pick-up option because, after pining for some of those games for such a long time, I could not bear missing out on them because the whole stock might be sold out 15 minutes into the fair.

Any response / information would be highly appreciated.

- Sincerely, T.Bursche

* besides Grimslingers, which is a must-buy for me, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Testbursche wrote:
Learning that Greenbrier Games will be at the Essen SPIEL fair this year got me really excited, as the company has put out many games over the years which have caught my eye and had me intrigued again and again. But living outside the US both without a venue to aquire them locally as well as wary of international orders because of shipping costs, double taxes, customs duties and so on, I never had the opportunity to get my hands on any of those wonderful games.

But with my hopes now skyrocketing, I'd like to know if there was a way to learn what games* will be on sale by Greenbrier at Essen and especially, if Yashima will be among them. Is an entry in W. Eric Martin's well-established SPIEL preview to be expected, for instance? Or has anyone reading this forum any information what games from Greenbrier will be available?

I would also be highly interested in any pre-order or order/pick-up option because, after pining for some of those games for such a long time, I could not bear missing out on them because the whole stock might be sold out 15 minutes into the fair.

Any response / information would be highly appreciated.

- Sincerely, T.Bursche

* besides Grimslingers, which is a must-buy for me, too.

Hey! Greenbrier Art Director here

I will ask them and get back to you! But yeah, Grimslingers will be there in VERY limited quantities (I think about 200).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theobaldt Bursche
msg tools
Thank you very much for investigating this issue on my behalf. That, dear ssgibson, is very kind of you indeed!

Learning that Grimslingers will be available, but only in limited quantities, makes me hope even more for some sort of pre-order or buy and pick-up option. The same goes for other Greenbrier games, of course.

Eager to learn of your findings and very grateful,

T.Bursche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Got some info back.

There won't be a pre-order/pickup option.

There will be:

Grimslingers
Grimslingers: Duels (microgame)
Grimslingers Collector's Card Pack
Grimslingers Retro Card Pack
Grimslingers Play Mats

Heavy Steam Core Game
Heavy Steam wooden box
Heavy Steam armament Pack
Heavy Steam Pilot Expansion
Heavy Steam Exclusive Pack

Ninja Dice
Ninja Dice Team Location Card Expansion
Ninja Dice Location Card Expansion

Yashima Legend of the Kami Masters
Yashima Legend of the Deep Woods
Yashima Legend of the Icy Peaks
Yashima Legends of Fairytale
Yashima Token Pack Seed Plant
Yashima Token Pack Frost and Trap

Zpocalypse Core Game
and some other zpoc stuff. I didn't get a full list of inventory, but this is some of it.

Looks like they only have 18 copies of each Yashima thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theobaldt Bursche
msg tools
First of all, let me thank you again for taking it upon you to gather all this valuable information solely upon my behalf, hopefully it might be of use to other gamers, too.

But speaking of other gamers, it seems one must really get his priorities in order, optimize routes and be quick of feet as well to get his hands on a copy of Yashima at SPIEL. Only 18 copies on a fair visited by 150.000 people (give or take 10.000)? And I thought Grimslingers was in short supply! But I have no intention of arguing Greenbrier's decision, of course, which was surely a reasonable one, especially from an economic standpoint. I’m just a little disappointed, as my chances of getting a copy seem pretty slim.

Nonetheless, I will make sure to visit Greenbrier’s booth as early as possible to see what games from their portfolio are still available. And if there are no copies of game X or Y left … well, at SPIEL there are always more interesting games to be had than one person could possibly buy (or carry), anyways. A wise man, who visits SPIEL with a list of fall-back options handy!

Thanks again for your kind efforts, ssgibson, you’ve been of great help to me!

- Sincerely, T.Bursche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help

I think the reason they aren't bringing a lot of things is because it costs a lot of money to get the product over there, and they've never been to SPIEL before. They don't really know what to expect in terms of demand and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theobaldt Bursche
msg tools
Yeah, the economic risk is something I can truly relate to, considering I mentioned my own reluctance to order anything internationally because of the additional costs of shipping, taxes and such things. But the issue with the unpredictable demand for an individual game had me imagining a pre-order option, or even more so a solution with pay up front and pick up at the booth could be quite beneficiary to all parties involved. As many publishers, especially smaller ones with long distances to cover (Asian publishers come to mind) employ such methods year after year, I’d estimate their experiences with those must be good.

But again, I am not arguing the decision to not offer such an option, nor do I seek further explanation or justification. I merely try to explain my own train of thought.

Once more, I owe you my thanks for your kindness and will gladly keep my fingers crossed to find the games I crave still available early Thursday morning. And if not, then it probably means that the games are flying of the shelves and maybe Greenbrier will consider coming back to SPIEL in 2017 with a larger supply. So one could say, it's a win-win situation for me.

- Sincerely, T.Bursche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.