Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think my first post went through, so I'll try it again. Sorry if it is a repeat message. I just purchased the city, and I read the rules about 10 times during Jury Duty yesturday. When I was released I went home and tried to put the rules to use. I understand how to complete a road. I aslo get how to complete a market, by closing off all sides. However, I am confuesed because some tiles have two seperate markets on them and I don't know if they count as two different markets, or a continued market. Also, Some tiles have a single market that covers two or more sides of the tile, and I would guess that I would have to border all sides to complete the market. I am new to tile laying games, but I want to really learn. Some games I need someone to teach me how to play for the visual. This might be one of them. If anyone lives in the West Palm Beach, Florida area any would like to help, I would really apreciated it. Until then, I'll keep on given it a try. I hope something will spark and I just say oh, that was easy enough.

Thanks

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Each individual market on a given tile is independent from the others. They can end up becoming the same market if other tiles end up connecting them together. A market is any amount of connected green-space on the board. It is only completed when there are no open sides remaining - either due to being cut off by roads, residences, or city walls.

Carc. the City is a great game, but there are a lot of little things to it so it is easy to be confused until you've played a couple times. Hope you enjoy it!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Matthew. I am looking forward to this game. Your response has hepled me. I agree, there are a lot of little things to do. just to make sure, but this also means that only two tiles can make up a market, and if they are two different markets it is 4 points correct.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
A market can consist of a great number of tiles. Here is an example from the gallery:

The green meeple is in a market that is currently six-tiles large and still has an open end at the bottom so can potentially grow further. If it were to be closed off by a wall it would be worth 18 pts - six tiles X all 3 market stand colors present.

The wall and residences have closed off a number of single tile markets in the lower right. They would all have been worth only a single point apiece if a player had a meeple on them.

The yellow meeple on a road is next to a finished market three tiles large with two market stands, meaning it scored 6 points for whomever had a meeple in it before it was completed.

Hope that helps.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew,

That helps out a lot. I was playing last night and it also helped me to figure thins out. The second time going over the game helped greatly, I am sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again for your help.

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew, I am sorry to bother you again but I am confused again: I think. Scoring the residential area is at game end. I underdtand that part of it. The rules state that you get 2 points for each market that is adjacent to it. In the picture that you sent me for a different example, the red meeple scores 4 points I believe, or is it 5 points.

Second, and I am sorry that I don't have the rules right in front of me, but there is something in the rules that threw me for a loop. If you get confused I will get the right information when I get home from work. It does explain in the rules somewhere and shows an example of it, but it says that you may put a blue meeple on a small house on the tile if there is already a meeple on a big house on a different tile in the connecting residential area. Your are most likly thiking to yourself right now that Huh! If you can make heads or tails of this for me I would really appreciate it. If you are confused by this I'll take it right out of the rule book when I get home.

Thanks for the help.

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
edmondella wrote:
Hi Matthew, I am sorry to bother you again but I am confused again: I think. Scoring the residential area is at game end. I underdtand that part of it. The rules state that you get 2 points for each market (contiguous green space) that is adjacent to it. In the picture that you sent me for a different example, the red meeple scores 4 points I believe, or is it 5 points.

At the end of the game each residence scores 2pts for each separate market that any part of that residence touches. The red meeple in the picture is in a residence that stretches through the peninsula of tiles in the lower right, thus it touches a total of eight separate markets (the big one to the left, the one tile market touching the big one at the top, the two tile market also at the top, and five little markets in the peninsula. This earns him a total of 16 points at game's end.

Quote:

If you are confused by this I'll take it right out of the rule book when I get home.

Please do...I'm not sure what rule you are referencing just yet.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mattew, I am really getting fustrated now. I am sure your examlpe is fine, but I still don't see it. Let me see If I could tell wich tiles you are discribing here (the big one to the left, the one tile market touching the big one at the top, the two tile market also at the top, and five little markets in the peninsula.

the big one to the left: This is the one with the green meeple on it correct?

the one tile market touching the big one at the top: This is the one with the blue meeple on it I think.

the two tile market also at the top: These are the two just right of the blue meeple?

five little markets in the peninsula
: Are 3 of the tiles the ones right below the red meeple, And the other two; one is below the green meeple, and the last one is just to the right of the one below the green meeple?

Would that be nine markets for 18 points? I know that you said eight, but in your example of what tiles, there are nine.

I am sorry to go over this again, but I just want to be sure that I am playing right.

Another thought that just came to mind looking at the picture, is the tile below the red meeple, the residential area stops at that road, and is considered closed right. Or am I just really confused now.

Maybe I'll get it when I can tell which tiles are actually the correct tiles to score.

I'll get you the other info when I get home.

Thanks again for all your help, and your patience with a rookie.

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Oops...I actually made an error...you are correct that the residence does NOT extend all the way down the peninsula because there is a road that cuts it short. The red meeple in the residence will score 8 points for touching 4 separate market districts, as illustrated below:

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthew,

I get get it now. Thanks for illustration, it really helped. And as for that other rule that I mentioned, I took a look at it and figured it out on my own. It was that I just looked at it wrong. On page 2, all the way at the bottom, the middle illustration it says Blue may play a follower as a seller or a citizen, but as a steward only on the small residential area (red arrow), as he already has a steward on the larger residential area.

When I took a good look at it when I got home, that is when I notice that the two residential were two separate areas.

Thanks again for all your help. I might need some more guidance when I get to the towers.

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew,

Now I am trying to find out the points for the blue meeple in the residential area. Is it 12 points?

Thanks

Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.