Subject: Interesting article putting KDM world in new perspective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not my find, it was posted on facebook KDM group

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-di...

Now, what if Survivors are the fallen ants? What if the whole Kingdom Death world is underground (that explains the darkness). Of course that brings the traditional concepts of hell to mind.

I'm currently finishing reading Alan Campbell's Deepgate Codex trilogy, a dark fantasy centered around religious themes with some steampunk elements.
Hell as it is portrayed there is a place (or places) below our world where the souls (and blood as it is life's essence ) of the dead go. But their existence doesn't end - they can be hunted, killed and devoured by greater beings and gods.
I don't say there are any big similarities between KDM and Campbell's work, but articles like that above and some other fiction plus a little imagination can really bring some interesting concepts as for what Kingdom Drath is.

Just wanted to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great share! Very interesting and I agree very indicative of KDM and Poots' fascination for the natural world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Interesting. I always figured the KD:M world was a future postapocalyptic setting, where a genetic experiment has gone awry, creating mishappen human-animal-something hybrids. The action takes place several hundred/thousand years after the event, where the 'alternate ecosystem' has taken hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting.

I always thought this was a hell type place where people went for one last place of redemption- should they survive the horrors least they become one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured kdm was some hell type place, that when the minsters eat you, they consume your soul, and absorb you into their body. Hence all the hands of past victims push and trying to get out back out of the various animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Well whatever theories people put in place, just remember that survivors are not humans and as such that shouldn't be a part of the theory.

Never heard that one before, but it makes sense. Suppose they are slightly human-like to relate to the player, but they are always called "survivors" rather than humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Styfen wrote:
Well whatever theories people put in place, just remember that survivors are not humans and as such that shouldn't be a part of the theory.

Why do you say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He "Embraced the Darkness"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also don't know why being a "survivor" negates being a human. This only means they survived "something".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LRA MOSBA
Mexico
flag msg tools
I figured it was some kind of "Purgatory", or in DnD planes, the Boneyard
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Boneyard

The Boneyard is a neutral Plane in which the souls of dead mortals are judged by the goddess Pharasma. It lies "above" Axis and "below" Groetus. At the center of the Boneyard is Pharasma's palace, where she sits on her throne and judges each of the dead souls that pass before her; an endless line of them winds out of her throne room through the surrounding graveyard. In many ways, the Boneyard is like purgatory; a place for you to come to terms with your death (or in some cases attempt to escape)

The Scribe is a "God" who "judges" the survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Styfen wrote:
Mockerre wrote:
Styfen wrote:

Why do you say that?

I'll leave you with the truth behind where the survivors come from and you can pick up the rest of the clues yourself.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Meet their creator.

http://shop.kingdomdeath.com/products/the-scribe

The Scribe is the power behind the Kings and their armies. To men, he is a god made flesh, appearing in repose atop his throne with his tome hoisted by a grotesque tableau of slaves. In his book his words are writ into reality, sewing the seeds of small human settlements into existence with the stroke of his quill. Once the humans grow and reproduce the Scribe will return to harvest his crop.

That is where the ink on the eyes of the first generation of settlers comes from, that's why it's pointed out that 'the child's eyes are free of the ink that stained the founder's faces.'

There are a lot of other clues scattered about as well.

But it still says 'humans' in the spoiler I mean, in vitro conceived babies are still human; a clone of a human grown in a lab would also be a human But this info really backs up my theory about a post-apocalypse setting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mockerre wrote:

But it still says 'humans' in the spoiler I mean, in vitro conceived babies are still human; a clone of a human grown in a lab would also be a human But this info really backs up my theory about a post-apocalypse setting

I also believe this to be a post-apocalypse setting, but the pre-apoc setting was not a "modern" one, but rather a classic high-fantasy one. I have a fan-fic thread on here where I go into that. Perhaps I will return to it one day....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely don't feel it as an post-apoc setting and from the very beginning i leaned towards purgatory/afterlife concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.