Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dalivus Morgan
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group had a game of this last night and once it was done we started marveling at how well this game was crafted and balanced. Normally we often come up with a number of 'improvements' or House Rules but SOA didn't seem to need any of them. But then the topic came up about how one-sided a throwdown could become, especially in the face of overwhelming force, and we started thinking about that die roll.

This is the only House Rule that we feel SOA needs. I'll put it here for you guys to try out and offer feedback.

Heroic Effort: During a throwdown, if you roll a 6 on the die you may roll again and add the result. Example: Sally rolls in to Piney's Cabin determined to take it over; she brings 2 Members and 2 Prospects, outnumbering John's lone Prospect. But John, not to be forced out, decides to call for a Throwdown. He calls for backup but the best he can muster is 1 Member and 2 more Prospects bringing his total bonus to +5. Sally calls backup too, bringing in one more Member just to be sure. Her bonus is +8. Neither side decides to Pull Guns. Time to Get Bloody: Sally rolls a 4 on her die, making her total 12, but John rolls a 6 giving him a total of 11. Normally John would lose, but with this variant John gets to roll his die again and add that result to his initial 6. He rolls a 3. Now his total is 14. His guys put up a hell of a fight and pulled off the win 14-12. If the second roll is a 6 you may roll a third time and add to the score. This may be done indefinitely until your luck runs out.

Misfire: On the flip side if you roll a 1 on your die then one of your guns misfires and you cannot count it towards your total. Example: Sally wants revenge for her narrow defeat at Piney's Cabin. She comes back with 3 Members and 2 Prospects and challenges John's 2 Members and 3 Prospects. They call for backup; Sally calls in 1 more Member and 1 Prospect bringing her total bonus to +11. John calls in 2 more Members bringing his total to +12. This time they both Pull Guns. Sally pulls 4 guns and John pulls 3. Now Sally's total bonus is +23. John's is +21. They roll: Sally rolls a 1; one of her guns misfires! Now her bonus is only +20! This makes her total 21; the 1 she rolled plus her 20 bonus score. John rolls a 3; giving him a total of 24. John wins again but he loses one Member and two Prospects to Sally's 3 functioning guns while Sally's chooses her 3 Prospects for the ER due to John's 3 guns. Note: When using Heroic Effort a second roll of a 1 after the initial roll of a 6 will NOT trigger a misfire.

So We're gonna try this next time. If you guys get a chance to try it let me know what you think; does it work for you? Does it add a little more excitement and tension to a throwdown? Do you think it's unnecessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Sometimes there's not even any point to rolling for a throwdown as one side dominates so completely- I reckon this could add some tension to those moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalivus Morgan
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Exactly! That's what we thought. Several times that game the outcome was already predetermined. This adds a little more chance and chaos... or Anarchy, if you will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're downplaying the importance in this game of managing your dudes and order tokens effectively with these suggestions.

If I had a few of my dudes in a location and somebody moved one prospect there, then I threw down and brought all of my people as backup and my opponent didn't bring any but won the combat because of being able to re-roll sixes I'd be pretty annoyed.

The point of the game is to make more money than anybody else, not to do as much combat as possible. In fact it's generally accepted (at least in my group) that getting involved in combat generally never works out well for anybody and so should really be avoided and viewed as a last resort only.

Also these variants significantly reduce the usefulness of the One Niners, Grim Bastards and Calaveras' special abilities to the point that they would be almost pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with Gazbowski here, but someone else posted recently suggesting that rolling a 6 seemed a little underwhelming given the cool club insignia on the dice.

It was suggested that if you roll a 6 (the symbol) it is an automatic wound on a dude (ie send them ER) in addition to any guns you may have.

Sort of like a surprise attack like pulling a knife, or an enemy dude catching friendly fire or a ricochet, or a lucky break if outnumbered or whatever...

Can't remember who posted it, but I thought it sounded thematic and a pretty cool idea and not quite as overpowered as rolling it again.

Plus it makes those cool dice even cooler lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.