8 Posts

Normandy '44» Forums » Rules

Subject: What is the use of the General Records Track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hi wargamers,

I have watched some youtubes recently to learn the game - but sadly enough the tubers all play just before turn 2. As a beginner in wargaming I do not understand the use of the General Records Track in this game. Is this for recruiting new units in the following turn ? Where do I find the best explanation in the rule book. I have it as pdf and a word search came out with no result ?!?

Any help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
The General Records track is used to keep track of Supply Points which can be accumulated from turn to turn. Also, to keep track of Replacement Points and Cadres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx for the info.

Given that and the fact that most people write that the rules are one of the easier ones in the field of wargaming show me that I will never become a wargamer. I fought for days to get a slice of understanding of the whole system in the end - but without success.

Okay, I´ve learnt and stick to my eurogames. Maybe other thought patterns in my brain as a medical scientist - who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, don't give up. A lot is just getting rid of preconceived ideas or thoughts how rules should be. Start with an empty canvass, anxiety time the same or similar principles cone back again and again.
I am a doctor, and love and play war games due decades :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfen2000 wrote:
Thanx for the info.

Given that and the fact that most people write that the rules are one of the easier ones in the field of wargaming show me that I will never become a wargamer. I fought for days to get a slice of understanding of the whole system in the end - but without success.

Okay, I´ve learnt and stick to my eurogames. Maybe other thought patterns in my brain as a medical scientist - who knows.

'Easier' for wargamers not for beginners. It is a pretty involved game system with a lot to remember and assimilate. It's a brilliant game but I'm not sure if it is the best one to start with as a beginner. If you play some simpler ones first then when you come back to it you will find it bpmore understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Read this and be inspired.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42654/wargames-yes-you-ca...

I'm in my 3rd year of wargaming, and it's definitely gotten easier. Don't give up. Check out the myriad of Introductory wargames geeklists as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx for all your help.

I am just within another try on a long weekend getting into Normandy 44. Seems getting now a better grip on this and that.

Just aout of interest: How do you guys get into rules of new wargames ? Do you play simultaniously while reading the rules ? Or do you read the rules beforehand maybe more than once to get a first picture ? What is the best approach ?

In my special case with Normandy I just become little by little familiar by playing while reading the rules and looking some youtubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
wolfen2000 wrote:
Thanx for all your help.

I am just within another try on a long weekend getting into Normandy 44. Seems getting now a better grip on this and that.

It usually takes me several sessions to really dig into a new wargame.

wolfen2000 wrote:
Just aout of interest: How do you guys get into rules of new wargames ? Do you play simultaniously while reading the rules ? Or do you read the rules beforehand maybe more than once to get a first picture ? What is the best approach ?

Both. There is no one best approach for me. Lately, I'm inclined to reading the rules over the course of several evenings, but not in really great detail. The notion is to get an idea of how the game is set up and played.

However, quite often I'll just lay out the map and throw some units down for some move-and-shoot.

It's the difference between top down and bottom up, both are helpful.

wolfen2000 wrote:
In my special case with Normandy I just become little by little familiar by playing while reading the rules and looking some youtubes.

Any first play through for me is rules-in-hand, so that sounds about right.

Have fun! The Normandy '44 system will open up a vast number of wargames with similar mechanics. Learning this one well will make learning the other much, much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.