Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Thanks_Hillary [+] [View All]
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You all feel the earth quake this morning, it could be felt several states away. Whats the odds it was fraking related? I am sure glad to see natural gass is supposedly more environmental friendly than other sources.
Hopefully it did no damage down there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Hillary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Gods Wrath on murika you have pissed him off with all the constant whinning you do to him asking for your football team to win etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odds are pretty low. The USGS has said that waste water injection wells, not fracking, is a more probable cause of the uptick in Oklahoma earthquakes. The majority of those east of I-35 are centered around Jones where there are a lot of wells. Other west of I-35 are located around several waste water injection sites as well. This is the first one in the Pawnee area to my recollection.

https://www.usgs.gov/news/magnitude-56-earthquake-oklahoma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Odds are pretty low. The USGS has said that waste water injection wells, not fracking, is a more probable cause of the uptick in Oklahoma earthquakes. The majority of those east of I-35 are centered around Jones where there are a lot of wells. Other west of I-35 are located around several waste water injection sites as well. This is the first one in the Pawnee area to my recollection.

Well, right, but many of those waste water injection wells are used to hold frack waste water....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for Natural Selection working exactly as designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It woke me up in Dallas this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I live about 100 miles from the epicenter. It was the strongest quake I've ever felt. It was like an explosion when it hit.

Is it related to fraking? I think so, I've lived here for many years and we never had a single earthquake until fraking started and since then we have several a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euen McMurry
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Apparently my parents in Missouri felt it as well. Woke them up and got the dogs barking. I probably would've felt it too if I hadn't been in the depths of hungover sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I slept through it loke I do for every earth quake we have felt. For some reason they always happen in the morning while I am still in bed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steven1mac wrote:
You all feel the earth quake this morning, it could be felt several states away. Whats the odds it was fraking related? I am sure glad to see natural gass is supposedly more environmental friendly than other sources.
Hopefully it did no damage down there.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-great-midwe...

The entire area is at risk for a catastrophic earthquake. The last time it changed the course of the mississippi and laid waste to entire forests.

Quote:
The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that the risk of another New Madrid-scale catastrophe in the next 50 years is about 7 to 10 percent. The risk of a smaller, though still devastating, 6.0 earthquake in the next 50 years is 25 to 40 percent. Ongoing research should help identify which areas are most in danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From wikipedia, which I know is not an end all be all source, but it's a start

"A July 2013 study by US Geological Survey scientist William Ellsworth links earthquakes to wastewater injection sites. In the four years from 2010-2013 the number of earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater in the central and eastern United States increased dramatically. After decades of a steady earthquake rate (average of 21 events/year), activity increased starting in 2001 and peaked at 188 earthquakes in 2011. USGS scientists have found that at some locations the increase in seismicity coincides with the injection of wastewater in deep disposal wells. Injection-induced earthquakes are thought to be caused by pressure changes due to excess fluid injected deep below the surface and are being dubbed “man-made” earthquakes.[11]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Apparently my parents in Missouri felt it as well. Woke them up and got the dogs barking. I probably would've felt it too if I hadn't been in the depths of hungover sleep.

I didn't feel it, but about that time my dog started acting all clingy getting up in my face, so I think she did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't feel it but we were all in the car at that time, which I think must have insulated us. We feel smaller ones frequently. Earthquakes are really freaky because the force is so three dimensional

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was up at 7, but we live near a bunch of railroad tracks that we can feel some vibrations from, so I didn't notice anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

Ummm...Fracking is short for hydraulic fracturing, fracturing with liquids--as in, "...waste water injection wells...."

When a bitty state like Oklahoma has more earthquakes than California,* on the Pacific Ring of Fire....

*Oklahoma recorded more than three times as many earthquakes as California in 2014 and remains well ahead in 2015. Data from the U.S. Geological Survey shows that Oklahoma had 562 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater in 2014; California had 180.

--Google

(Mac: New Madrid ≠ Oklahoma quakes)

__

mdp4828 wrote:
I live about 100 miles from the epicenter. It was the strongest quake I've ever felt. It was like an explosion when it hit.

I do realize it's frightening...but...yawn:

The 1994 Northridge earthquake occurred on January 17, at 4:30:55 a.m. PST... It had a duration of approximately 10–20 seconds. The blind thrust earthquake...produced ground acceleration that was the highest ever instrumentally recorded in an urban area in North America, measuring 1.8g (16.7 m/s²) with strong ground motion felt as far away as Las Vegas, Nevada, about 220 miles (360 km) from the epicenter.

I was about 50 miles away from it--yawn. A cousin was one (1) mile away: no serious damage. I didn't sleep through it, but it wasn't dangerous. Of course, if my home (not to mention my cousin's!) was built to non-West Coast standard--lots of brick and stone--it could have been deadly.

mdp4828 wrote:
Is it related to fraking? I think so, I've lived here for many years and we never had a single earthquake until fraking started and since then we have several a year.

That's the logical conclusion. USGS won't say that directly, because Our Beloved Congress, but no other explanation fits.
__

You know the whole earthquake/nuclear war duck-and-cover bit? Useless. If the quake is strong enough you need to duck and cover, I beg to doubt you'll be able to. But: The thing you can think out ahead of time is how tall your chimney, or any other brickwork, is and where it can fall. If you or someone you love is in that radius, you can fix it by either rearranging things (move your bed to a different place, keep your sofa away from the chimney) or taking steps to prevent or control your chimney falling. (Out here, we have metal chimneys with light faux stone façades.)

If you live in a structure with a "soft" bottom floor, that floor can collapse. "Soft" means "untriangulated", pillars with no diagonal bracing. Three and four story buildings are especially vulnerable since their resonant frequencies match those of earthquakes--think of a glass shattering from a singer's voice. One complex in Northridge had its soft, bottom, parking garage story collapse totally; even police and firefighters passed it by, not realizing the first floor had entirely collapsed. This may be it:

If you're in your car, never stop under a bridge with square pillars. They collapse. A round or octagonal piller may mean the rebar is designed to capture the concrete in an earthquake, meaning the crushed concrete will support the bridge for a while. I have no idea if earthquake-resistant construction even exists in the Midwest.

If you're driving after a major quake, don't get complacent. A CHP cruiser was inspecting the seams in a freeway. Okay. Okay. Okay. Okay. Eight foot drop. Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All types of oil drilling result in water coming to the surface. That water is loaded with metals and other not so fun stuff. It has to be disposed of and that is what goes into waste water injection sites, along with water from fracking sites.

One location in OK had three sites with a half mile of each other. The companies voluntarily reduced the amount of water going in and the frequency that they injected it. Tremors in the area decreased.

The areas hardest hit are usually near these waste water injection sites, not by locations where they are drilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
All types of oil drilling result in water coming to the surface. ...

I do not think that water is a high amount proportionally for pressurized oil deposits, aka "a gusher". However, for practical purposes, at this point in oil exploration, yes.

(References, please, if you disagree.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Ummm...Fracking is short for hydraulic fracturing, fracturing with liquids--as in, "...waste water injection wells...."

When a bitty state like Oklahoma has more earthquakes than California,* on the Pacific Ring of Fire....

*Oklahoma recorded more than three times as many earthquakes as California in 2014 and remains well ahead in 2015. Data from the U.S. Geological Survey shows that Oklahoma had 562 earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater in 2014; California had 180.

--Google

(Mac: New Madrid ≠ Oklahoma quakes)

__

mdp4828 wrote:

I do realize it's frightening...but...yawn:

The 1994 Northridge earthquake occurred on January 17, at 4:30:55 a.m. PST... It had a duration of approximately 10–20 seconds. The blind thrust earthquake...produced ground acceleration that was the highest ever instrumentally recorded in an urban area in North America, measuring 1.8g (16.7 m/s²) with strong ground motion felt as far away as Las Vegas, Nevada, about 220 miles (360 km) from the epicenter.

I was about 50 miles away from it--yawn. A cousin was one (1) mile away: no serious damage. I didn't sleep through it, but it wasn't dangerous. Of course, if my home (not to mention my cousin's!) was built to non-West Coast standard--lots of brick and stone--it could have been deadly.

mdp4828 wrote:

That's the logical conclusion. USGS won't say that directly, because Our Beloved Congress, but no other explanation fits.
__

You know the whole earthquake/nuclear war duck-and-cover bit? Useless. If the quake is strong enough you need to duck and cover, I beg to doubt you'll be able to. But: The thing you can think out ahead of time is how tall your chimney, or any other brickwork, is and where it can fall. If you or someone you love is in that radius, you can fix it by either rearranging things (move your bed to a different place, keep your sofa away from the chimney) or taking steps to prevent or control your chimney falling. (Out here, we have metal chimneys with light faux stone façades.)

If you live in a structure with a "soft" bottom floor, that floor can collapse. "Soft" means "untriangulated", pillars with no diagonal bracing. Three and four story buildings are especially vulnerable since their resonant frequencies match those of earthquakes--think of a glass shattering from a singer's voice. One complex in Northridge had its soft, bottom, parking garage story collapse totally; even police and firefighters passed it by, not realizing the first floor had entirely collapsed. This may be it:

If you're in your car, never stop under a bridge with square pillars. They collapse. A round or octagonal piller may mean the rebar is designed to capture the concrete in an earthquake, meaning the crushed concrete will support the bridge for a while. I have no idea if earthquake-resistant construction even exists in the Midwest.

If you're driving after a major quake, don't get complacent. A CHP cruiser was inspecting the seams in a freeway. Okay. Okay. Okay. Okay. Eight foot drop. Oops.

I wasn't saying it was the same, but that new madrid covered parts of oklahoma.
http://dutchsinse.com/1232016-anniversary-of-the-great-midwe...

This is the extent of a later smaller madrid earthquake in 1895.

Ah.. here's an 1811 madrid.

I agree that oklahoma appears to have it's own hot spot west of the madrid earthquake extent (more towards the middle of oklahoma)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fellow gamer and Geology professor posted this:

"Public Service Announcement for everyone in Oklahoma:

Fracking is not the direct culprit for OK earthquakes. Wastewater disposal via injection wells appears to be the culprit, based on studies that the Oklahoma Geological Survey has been doing for the last few years. In particular, the volume of wastewater injection seems to be associated with producing earthquakes.

The water that is being disposed is primarily formation water, not fracking water. It's the water that comes up out of the ground after the well is drilled. It's loaded with heavy metals and other nasty stuff, so it has to be disposed of. This happens whether the well was fracked or not.

The solution is not to stop fracking, since that really has nothing to do with the earthquakes. The solution is to limit the volume of wastewater disposal and otherwise regulate how and where the wastewater is disposed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Meh. Slept through the whole thing. Down in Hickville, OK where I live, we've been having smaller earthquakes since the early 1990s. And before you ask, no, we have no rigs in the county and no, we have no waste water injection wells.

My wife had to wake me up to tell me about the earthquake. Can't believe I was laying next to her and never felt a thing. She told me she has the same experience every time we have sex.

"Rim Shot"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Thanks Hillary.

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Thanks Hillary.

Don't get ahead of yourself.
Ewwwww, head from Hillary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Down in Hickville, OK where I live, we've been having smaller earthquakes since the early 1990s. And before you ask, no, we have no rigs in the county and no, we have no waste water injection wells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.