Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Do you find the "pot lid/plank of wood" stuff endearing or annoying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer starting out with equipment which, regardless of die pool or ability is pictured and described as "pot lid" or "plank of wood" or would you prefer the same exact stats but with more normal pictures/descriptions as "shield" or "sword" etc?

From a stat perspective, the starting equipment is often not too great, but I'm just curious what you think about the presentation. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
I like the fact that the heroes are so impoverished that they can't even afford weapons in the beginning.

But there's nothing stopping you from starting with swords and shields if that's what you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Do you prefer starting out with equipment which, regardless of die pool or ability is pictured and described as "pot lid" or "plank of wood" or would you prefer the same exact stats but with more normal pictures/descriptions as "shield" or "sword" etc?

From a stat perspective, the starting equipment is often not too great, but I'm just curious what you think about the presentation. Thanks.

I would have liked it if the novice hero minis were modeled with the items, but it has always thrown me off that the soldier starts with a fireplace poker and a pot lid, but the model has a sword.

I like the idea that this isn't the story of just one hero but rather every young man who dreams of standing up against the darkness and heads off with whatever weapon he can find to hand... but since none of the artwork or minis support this, it ends up just being kinda jarring, honestly.

I would have liked the soldier sculpture to have a shield but I was okay that the sculpture didn't have a fireplace poker and a pot lid as equipment because you get new equipment at a decent pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the minis are modelled with the LAST weapon they would be likely to use -- or rather maybe the best weapon for them in the box? The Acolyte hammer for instance is a great weapon for him and Is suspect there is a sword the soldier would like best. Not sure what the staff of the female acolyte is though.

I would like to play a game where the mini's look matched the gear one of these days.

That said, it would be interesting if there were 3-4 versions of each character at varying "levels" of advancement but that is probably too much to ask for. With 9 current characters and 2 sexes, there are 18 figures for just 1 version of them.

I guess for myself, having a "battered" or "well used" sword or shield or mace etc. would seem to have more dignity than a pot lid or plank of wood, even if the stats were the same. One could imagine inheriting old but serviceable gear from one's training or parents where the same couldn't be said for most of the starting gear. The "worn prayer book" might qualify in that respect. One would presume that any trainers would give some sort of gear to their students, even if the gear wasn't that great. But then we don't know because we know so little about the world. Are there trainers? Did our heroes pick up their skills on their own? Are they all paupers living on the street, or students? Hard to know what is reasonable.

I wonder if we should ask for a "starting gear" pack with lots of brown gear with low level quality but with different looks? Or maybe you would equip your character as part of a pre-game selection process, based on X points where you could end up with a green and some Browns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
whiskemuscles wrote:
js379 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I would have liked it if the novice hero minis were modeled with the items, but it has always thrown me off that the soldier starts with a fireplace poker and a pot lid, but the model has a sword.

I like the idea that this isn't the story of just one hero but rather every young man who dreams of standing up against the darkness and heads off with whatever weapon he can find to hand... but since none of the artwork or minis support this, it ends up just being kinda jarring, honestly.

I would have liked the soldier sculpture to have a shield but I was okay that the sculpture didn't have a fireplace poker and a pot lid as equipment because you get new equipment at a decent pace.

I just would have preferred the minis to more closely reflect their impoverished, "newbie" status.. would have made the move to JM, and the corresponding minis, feel even more epic.

I also found it offputting that the artwork for the soldier often shows him duel wielding when that wasn't even an option at all in first edition.

The dual wielding artwork for the soldier drove me crazy too. I never got the acoloyte with the hammer when there wasn't, if I remember correctly, one in the base game. But I imagine the cool look sculptures help secure more kickstarter backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's kind of silly and would have preferred they started with 'real', if basic, weapons and equipment.

Not a deal-breaker, but not my ideal either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group loves joking about the crappiness of our starting gear. Gives us extra motivation to find better loot.

I'm glad the minis don't have the crappy gear though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is creative and gives incentive to level up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Like others, I enjoy having the poor starting gear because it adds to the excitement when finding treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stats of the starting gear are fine.

And thematically some of the stuff - particularly the magical stuff, like 'Enchanted Twig' and 'Lucky Cup' - doesn't bother me.

But 'Pot Lid', 'Fire Poker' and 'Plank' annoy me.

I'm playing for a thematic tactical combat experience. And while I'm all for starting out as an underdog, thematically, I'd like to feel like my characters aren't comically pathetic.

Another thing that really irks me, I don't see the Acolyte's giant hammer anywhere in the advanced gear decks. It's arguably the most striking element of any of the hero minis, and yet I can't actually find or use the thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
The stats of the starting gear are fine.

And thematically some of the stuff - particularly the magical stuff, like 'Enchanted Twig' and 'Lucky Cup' - doesn't bother me.

But 'Pot Lid', 'Fire Poker' and 'Plank' annoy me.

I'm playing for a thematic tactical combat experience. And while I'm all for starting out as an underdog, thematically, I'd like to feel like my characters aren't comically pathetic.

Another thing that really irks me, I don't see the Acolyte's giant hammer anywhere in the advanced gear decks. It's arguably the most striking element of any of the hero minis, and yet I can't actually find or use the thing.

I think the Acolyte's hammer is "Judgement." and it's a blue card. Since I got the whole KS lot at once from eBay I don't know specifically where it comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Hammer justice is from the item expansion.

I like the starting gear. Sets everyone in the mood that we are playing around.
If I want seriousness I turn on the news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
It's stupid, especially considering the amount of time required to grind to get anything better.

Another mis-step in a game full of bad design choices.

Thankfully the 'rules', such as they are, are easily ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, I think it's funny.

I still look at MYTH in a "tales around a campfire" concept that was talked about at the very beginning. The way I see it, each session is a Baron Munchausen-esque tale, so the starting equipment is basically one of the heroes going "There I was, with nothing but a pot lid and fireplace poker - facing off against a horde of Grubbers!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This isn't a place I have a problem with Design. I am glad they chose the sculpts they did and didn't make them appear like raw adventurers.

This way my painted hereos from v1 will fit in just fine in Journeyman. I don't know if i have it in me to paint these hereos again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
I think the Hammer justice is from the item expansion.

I like the starting gear. Sets everyone in the mood that we are playing around.
If I want seriousness I turn on the news.

Yes I have justice too but that is a print and play item I think. I think Judgement is a regular card, though I can't be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like it. In fact I find it an expression of creativity to NOT go with a "standard" weapon, that you will ditch anyway as soon as you can.
IMHO the starting gear gives some much needed personality to the heroes. Whenever I have new players at my table, the fireplace poker / wooden plank / lucky cup etc. are usually worth a comment and a laugh and more often than not, even people with NO rpg-background start to reference their starting gear when something goes wrong or make fun of another hero. That's EXACTLY the stuff you need at the table to get players engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo the sentiment that as the game revolves around playing out a story the pot lid and poker are, in my re-telling digs and jibes by fellow adventures... "And Arthur calls himself a warrior but he wields that sword like a fireplace poker and that "pot-lid" of a shield would be better served back in the kitchen it came from!" As far as WYSIWYG you'd have to have a fair few minis to cover all potential options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me there is a disconnect between a group of adventurers with the skills (even at the beginning) of buzz-sawing through hordes of minions and starting kids with pot lids and sticks.

Traditionally, D&D characters started out with not great weapons, but with serviceable ones and maybe some primitive armor. It was nice to be able to pick where your money went too. In Myth this amounts to maybe picking a green (as I've heard Megacon has advised players they can do if they wish without breaking any guidelines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
To me there is a disconnect between a group of adventurers with the skills (even at the beginning) of buzz-sawing through hordes of minions and starting kids with pot lids and sticks.

Traditionally, D&D characters started out with not great weapons, but with serviceable ones and maybe some primitive armor. It was nice to be able to pick where your money went too. In Myth this amounts to maybe picking a green (as I've heard Megacon has advised players they can do if they wish without breaking any guidelines).

TBH I find it more than refreshing that this game ISN'T like any other D&D clone out there. The whole MYTH-world is like a delicious dish: It tastes familiar, yet there are some exocitc - even odd - flavors in it, that either keep you eating or - well - spit it out.

Walking the thin line between using what most of the player base has in rpg / videogame experience and remodeling it into something new and unique, is, what keeps me engaged with this game. Togather with the artwork and the core mechanics it has a way of setting my imagination going, that no other game out there has yet achieved.

I like the quirks or the game in respect to the enemies, the equip, the overall feel. IMHO trying to make this game more D&D-like already has hurt it - badly. The "we need to keep equipment"-bs introduced during the first KS has unbalanced the whole game system, rendered the hero progression that was there more or less useless, forcing the community to "fix" a problem, they had created themselves, just because they couldn't accept that MYTH worked different than what they were used to.

While I mod the hell out of this game, I never tinker with its core. IMHO you'll have the most fun with MYTH, if you accept it for what it is
and don't try to turn it something it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So you don't think a couple of kids with pot lids and fireplace pokers clearing a tile full of crawlers and grubbers are a little implausible? If that happened in a book, that would seem reasonable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
So you don't think a couple of kids with pot lids and fireplace pokers clearing a tile full of crawlers and grubbers are a little implausible? If that happened in a book, that would seem reasonable?

When told/experienced from the perspective of "sitting around a campfire telling adventure stories", no. I once caught a fish that was "thiiisss" big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

They are not necessarily kids. That is a take that you are imagining. See this session report of mine for a different take on it:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1523157/adventures-intrepid-...

EDIT: Honestly, in reading most of your posts and comments, it seems to me like you are trying to suck all the fun out of the game. That's probably not your intention, but as I've said before, it's wearying... Try a little suspension of disbelief and just enjoy the game for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judy have you tried Shadows of Malice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
Judy have you tried Shadows of Malice?

No, I don't own it and haven't played it. (In order to not derail the thread, you can send me a PM about the game, John, or start a new thread and post the link to it here for anyone who is interested.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.