Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We're just putting the finishing touches on the rulebook now. (In fact, Mary just finished this set-up example for the rulebook

Then, we need to get our proof copy and give it a thorough going-over before we pull the lever so to speak. Expect to see some articles about the game over the next couple of weeks at the Hollandspiele company blog, to which I'll link in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really interesting! A Solitaire game design over Roman Britain is definitely an exciting prospect. Looking forward to hearing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will the rulebook available for perusal? I am always open to a fine solitaire game but still very much in the dark about this one.

I hope this game gets the same treatment by Tom as the previous two games, meaning that a lot of background information is released before the publishing.

It is really great to read the essays Tom writes. His love for publishing boardgames shines through in every sentence. Please keep sharing background info and thoughts about your future releases Tom!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
When will the rulebook available for perusal? I am always open to a fine solitaire game but still very much in the dark about this one.

Hi Gerit,

We've just put the finishing touches on the rulebook (we think), and are now waiting on our proof copy. Once we've got the proof copy, we'll give the rulebook one more once-over before releasing it to the public.

To give you a few more details to tide you over until then:

1 On most of the game's 8 Game Turns, you have five Legion Actions at your disposal. You can suppress rebellion, establish garrisons to keep the peace, calm things down by exerting your presence, and wage open battle against the enemy. The presence of your Agricola counter will make all of these easier or more efficient.

2 Before each Legion action, you can use your Agricola counter to take any number of Leader Actions. These include reorganizing your forces, attach your leader to another Legion, and bribery negotiation with the various tribes.

3 Each Legion Action is going to trigger one or more cup adjustments-- this is the cool bit that changes how the natives feel about your rule-- and one or more Hostile Tribe Reactions. This is very simple and priority-based: if condition one applies, do this thing, if not and condition two applies, do that thing, etc. If tribal units and/or their leaders get too noisy, they'll conduct hit-and-run raids on your Legions, or they'll attack other tribes. This internecine war helps you in the short-term in that it neutralizes threats, but it hurts you long-term in that if you're not able to keep the peace, it's going to erode trust in your rule-- in game terms, more units lean toward a hostile stance against Rome.

4 Set piece battles are handled via a separate battle display. You get a lot of say in how you deploy your units, but once the battle starts, it runs somewhat automatically (though there are a few tactical decisions that you get to make when Agricola is present at the battle). Because of this, one of your big strategic concerns is building up your forces. There are three "levels" of Legionary Battle Units, indicated by the number of aquila symbols on their counter. If you win a battle, you get to "promote"/"level-up" one of those units, gradually (or not-so-gradually, though you want to be careful, because overuse of military force can quickly turn the island against you, and a single lost battle will lose you the game) building an elite force. But you'll need a fair amount of frontline fodder, and this is where auxiliary units recruited from friendly tribes come in handy. Of course, you need to nudge those tribes towards "Friendly" to do so, and that requires some planning, some work, and some luck.

5 There is some die-rolling and chit-pulling, which gives the game some randomness, but I don't think it's as random or as frustrating as many other solitaire games. While the game is trying to give you a different experience, with different challenges and solutions, every time, it's not a case where you just sit there rolling the die and hoping to hit the right hard-to-roll number.

6 Lots of ways to lose the game-- not scoring enough VP, depleting your treasury, losing a battle, Calgacus still on the map at the end of Turn 8-- and one way to win: make it to the end of the last turn.

Quote:
I hope this game gets the same treatment by Tom as the previous two games, meaning that a lot of background information is released before the publishing.

It is really great to read the essays Tom writes. His love for publishing boardgames shines through in every sentence. Please keep sharing background info and thoughts about your future releases Tom!

thumbsup

Aw, thanks. blush

We're planning on running some pieces on Agricola before its release-- the first one drops tomorrow, actually, and is about the Saul Bass inspired cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the overview!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the "Cover Story" over at our blog:

https://hollandspiele.com/blogs/hollandazed-thoughts-ideas-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks asked for articles, and we're always happy to oblige. Here's the first of two pieces about the long, long, long process of designing the game.

We're supposed to be getting our proof copy soon (fingers crossed, it might arrive today), and if so, we'll have plenty of pictures soon so y'all can see what it looks like in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very interesting read. Thanks Tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Got our proof copy today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
And here's the "Cover Story" over at our blog:

Oh man! Such reminiscent of those movie posters. I was wondering why it looked so familiar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
Folks asked for articles, and we're always happy to oblige. Here's the first of two pieces about the long, long, long process of designing the game.

We're supposed to be getting our proof copy soon (fingers crossed, it might arrive today), and if so, we'll have plenty of pictures soon so y'all can see what it looks like in action.

Wow. The three cup mechanic is really interesting. I like how you put the tight knit random element in Irish Gauge. I, too, feel that too many solo games rely on randomness to gain replayability. So I'm intrigued to see how this system plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
So lovely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 2 of the designer's notes for AGRICOLA, MASTER OF BRITAIN focuses on the battle and army-building system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Parka
msg tools
mbmb
I've not heard of this game before, but the solo wargamer in me is definitely interested.

Shipping is $21 to the UK, which isn't too bad considering how much shipping can cost.

Going to have a read through the rules later tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks neat! Always interested in trying out different solitaire systems! Ordered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpolish wrote:
Ordered!

Same here. The cup system looks rather ingenious. Could be a good "lite" way to implement games on other COINish conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke34 wrote:
lordpolish wrote:
Ordered!

Same here. The cup system looks rather ingenious. Could be a good "lite" way to implement games on other COINish conflicts.

I'll admit that the thought had occurred to me. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.