Subject: 1st edition owner with a question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am an owner of the 1st edition of City of Iron. I have read about the new second edition and that it helps balance the 2 player game. If I am mostly going to be playing with more than 2 players, is there a reason to go with the second edition? I am just wondering to what degree the second edition is better balanced than the first edition, both with 2 players and with higher player counts. Any feedback is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I believe all of the "weaknesses" of 1st ed were adressed in City of Iron: Experts and Engines (which is one of the best boardgame expansions of all time, by the way!)
That being said, if you're not able to acquire the expansion, it probably would be worth getting 2nd ed.
As it stands, though I haven't played 2nd ed., from everything I've seen about the differences, I'm much happier to have 1st ed. + Experts and Engines than I would be to have 2nd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply! I have the expansion actually. I usually don't play with an expansion for a first game but might here. For instance I will always play Village now with Port because I think it is much more balanced than the base game. Does Experts and Engines add a lot of complexity to the point of being a detriment to a first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's four parts to the expansion:
1- Steambot tokens- they're an addition that adds a little extra incentive to take less desirable buildings. I really like them but they're really not THAT big a deal, so I'd skip using them for your first game.

2- E Buildings- give more building options right at the start. I really like them (especially if you also have the two promo E buildings that you can get from the BGG store). You'll definitely want to skip these for your first game, just so you don't have to deal with them and instead just focus on figuring out the general flow of the game.

3- Kraxian Pirate- a nice little bonus for going last. It maybe makes the game a little more balanced, but it's a pretty minor thing, so just skip it for your first game. That being said, it's a really simple addition (although really, each of these things are. But I'd still recommend not using it for the first game.)

4- New (and a few updated) Citizen and Military cards- This is what you want to use right off the bat. Each faction gets a few unique cards that helps define it. While each faction already starts with a (minor) special ability, this really helps define them more (plus the new cards defend against the oft mentioned military problem (which was everybody's main complaint about 1st ed.))

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy the game!
If you have any more questions, I'll gladly answer them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parliament wrote:
Does Experts and Engines add a lot of complexity to the point of being a detriment to a first game?

As I said, each part of the expansion is quite simple, but for a first game (at least for me), I didn't even figure out how to play competently till the second time I played (months later). I ran the game fine (we didn't make any rules mistakes), but I didn't understand the flow and how to not completely suck. So for that reason, I'd recommend only using the new cards, and not the other aspects of the expansion for your first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.