Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

During my preparation for a massive Battle Cry scenario depicting the 1904 battle at Liaoyang I acquired this antique map...



...published in the 1920s as part of a military atlas. This kind of stuff brings out the history nerd in me. Looking at maps on the internet is great, but to hold this fascinating document in my hands was something else entirely.
26 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's cool. I'm a sucker for maps. I was into maps before I even knew what a wargame was.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Moi aussi. I often find the depiction of topography particularly appealing on older maps. And the lettering fonts.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Of course now we're going to have to endlessly debate what qualifies as an "antique" map.

But yeah, mapz rool.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes. This is from a Swedish military handbook 1882 that I bought a few years ago:



Also, how about... old wargame maps, like these ones from 1884?




(source)

EDIT: Actually they are photographs, 2 of 8, of the actual 3D terrain boards used to play the game, to be used as reference by players when playing. Not quite maps, but close.

Going to the library Monday (hopefully) to have a look at a German wargame rulebook+map/board from late 1830's. But it is not a very map-like board I suspect. Still I look forward to it. Expect photos.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have two volumes from the Schlachten des Weltkrieges series, printed in 1927 and 1929. Nice maps included at the end of each book that can be taken out and unfolded. Had to take them down from the shelf how and have a quick look. Aah. Much better than looking at scans online, yes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who was that (in)famous antique map dealer who would get his supply by razoring individual maps out of antique atlases from rare book libraries?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This map looks like it was carefully removed from the original binding. There are several thread holes along the left side of the sheet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Who was that (in)famous antique map dealer who would get his supply by razoring individual maps out of antique atlases from rare book libraries?


I think it was this guy: E. Forbes Smiley III. And no, I am not making that name up. Ordered to pay $1.9M in restitution, sentenced to six years in prison, stole maps from various libraries over an eight year period.
6 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
This map looks like it was carefully removed from the original binding. There are several thread holes along the left side of the sheet.


It's from volume 3 of "STORIA DELL'ARTE MILITARE MODERNA." The maps are oversized and fold out of the text, at least in the set I've seen, so you're right it could have been removed. Could be there was an edition with folding maps in the back or a map box.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hedererp wrote:
pete belli wrote:
This map looks like it was carefully removed from the original binding. There are several thread holes along the left side of the sheet.


It's from volume 3 of "STORIA DELL'ARTE MILITARE MODERNA." The maps are oversized and fold out of the text, at least in the set I've seen, so you're right it could have been removed. Could be there was an edition with folding maps in the back or a map box.

Now it's not only possible to get lone counters identified in the forums, but also to get books identified by posting pictures of maps? Impressive!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now it's not only possible to get lone counters identified in the forums, but also to get books identified by posting pictures of maps? Impressive!


Old military maps are a passion of mine. modest

I would like to post some of the most beautiful I've ever seen if I get a chance today--it's just been a very busy weekend.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.