The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability & Custom scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you think the game will be in terms of replay value?

Is anyone possibly planning on making custom scenarios?

I've asked Cryptozooic about custom scenarios and their reply was the following:

"Hi,

Custom Scenarios is something we are planning on doing in the future and I'm sure many backers will post some exciting ones as well. We love the game and want to support it any way we can

The Cryptozoic Team"

I've made a list that might help think about this topic

Base game scenarios (6 double sided tiles):

Scavenging Run
Search Party
A new threat
Vatos
Shallow Graves
Knock Knock

Subtotal - 6 scenarios

Expansion - What Lies Ahead (4 double sided tiles):

Traffic Jam
Bloodletting
Nebraska
Beside the dying fire

Subtotal - 4 scenarios

Expansion - Enemy Within (4 double sided tiles):

Seed
Sick
Killer within
Infected

Subtotal - 4 scenarios

Kickstarter exclusive scenarios:

Made to suffer (4 double tiles)

Fort benning (two part scenario)

Woodbury Arena (4 double tiles)

Ride

Subtotal - 5 scenarios

Total number of scenarios: 19

Total number of tiles/sides : 22/44

If we add the add-on scenarios:

Better angels (1 double sided tile)

Days gone by (4 double sided tiles)

Walk with me & Clear (1 double sided tile)

Total number of scenarios: 23

Total number of tiles/sides : 28/56

I'm worried about replayability.. Although there is a considerable number of scenarios, and then characters to choose to play them with, I'm worried that for what we pay there's few scenarios to play. I might be wrong... And thus the question about the custom scenarios too. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You said it all:

- 23 scenarios
- A bunch of characters you can play through each scenario.

You have hundreds of potential unique sessions in front of you (and they don't have to be unique for you to replay them and still have fun).

Being worried about replay ability here is beyond me.

Look at it that way: if you had to play this game every night for three months, you wouldn't have tried all the combinations, even if you won each one of them on your first attempt.
Not sure how this kind of game would suffer from any replayability then.

Who plays a game that often in a short period of time?
And even if I did, I would probably be willing to try something else anyway way before I exhausted the game.
Even my most preferred game never hit the table more than 50 times.
With that many sessions, you would only have played each session of TWD 2 times which is really not enough to figure this game out.

- A game like "Ambush" with linear scenarios that can only be played once (or until you forgot everything about them) is an issue.
- Legacy type of games where your board and components are ruined after your campaign might be an issue
- A game with only 4 available characters and only 3 scenarios you can play is an issue.

But this?

I don't think you have to be worried about that. At all.
But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I agree with you! I'm not questioning the absolute number of scenarios but rather the racio "nr of scenarios"/"money invested". Because there's also a opportunity cost involved. You'll always have other games you can buy with the same amount of money you're going to invest.

This said, what I'm asking is if for the money you have to invest, the game has enough replayability, compared to a possible investment of the same amount on other great games out there.

And don't get me wrong, I really think this game is going to be awesome! I'm loving it, and I want it! I just wanted to know your opinion on this topic so that I and others can do wise/weighted thought out investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because each character has his/her own character card set with their own unique actions and abilities of which the designers have said each plays very differently, the large pool of available characters adds a lot to the replayability.

Your ROI formula needs to take in the the combination of characters:
ROI = (# of scenarios x # of characters) / $$$

HOWEVER, that (# of scenarios x # of characters) combination of replayability really depends on how strict to the story canon and characters you want to play your games.

For example, are you willing to play early scenarios with characters that didn't appear until later in the show, or play later scenarios that are already dead by that point in the story, or play characters that weren't part of that scene in the story especially if it's against that character's nature to be part of that scenario.

If you're willing to play that What if? game to try out all characters in all scenarios, then there could be a lot of replayability.
But if you're going to be strict to the story canon, then I'd say the ROI ratio would have to be cut in half.

Numbers aside, the high number of possible scenario & character combinations doesn't matter if the gameplay becomes tired and stale after repeated play. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell at this time and we can't tell how the subjective gameplay will endure with your play group through repeated play. I'm hoping it does considering the hefty by-in cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! I totally agree with what you said!

That's why the second part of the topic is about the custom scenarios.

I probably won't play with characters out of context. I won't play a character in a scenario based on the series where he/she wouldn't fit. But what I would play is a custom scenario. It would add even more replayability. This custom scenario could be an alternative scenario to the series (in this case for example, every character would be as it is but the story could be alternative, meaning different occurrences and thus new scenarios) , could be a (created) hidden scenario coherent with the series but that it hasn't been showed up (totally coherent with the state of the characters and the story, but about an occurrence not shown on the tv show, created for the game) , or could even be something totally created from scratch (both the scenario and the characters states) and in this case, because the story would be completely different wouldn't be a big deal having two characters on the game that wouldn't happen otherwise...

Anyone think on creating any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not having played the game and all kinda limits my appreciation of the actual gameplay, BUT it doesn't limit my imagination.....Shane decides to kidnap Lori and Carl. He ties them up in the RV and makes a get away. He's all, "I'm only doing this to protect y'all." Of course, there are several stops they make for supplies and zombie fighting. Lori and Carl make several escape attempts and there's more zombie fighting. On one such attempt, they make it into a town and encounter several villagers who try to help them and, of course, more zombies. Each time Shane recaptures them. ("I'm the one that really loves y'all"). Rick, who's been tracking them, catches up with them and....

It could end with several possible outcomes:
1. Fight between Rick and Shane with either winning
2. Lori and/ or Carl get involved in the fight
3. A different character comes along and gets involved (Morgan, Daryl?)

I don't know if any of this is possible, but I had fun thinking about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think when creating new custom scenarios you should always try to add something that changes the base game rules somehow, as it already happens with some scenarios (as far as I know). This would be on the scenario special rules. An example would be that on a custom scenario, because there's a building on fire, there's smoke everywhere and the line of sight is reduced around that building and walkers are drawn to it. Or something like that. And then, add some scenario objectives, like you have to help someone on the building that's on fire (there could be a custom search card that when draw it would mean you would have found that person and you can then help him/her out of the building). And then you would write some flavor text to the scenario, explaining why is the fire going on, who's trapped in there, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, never mind.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:
I'm not questioning the absolute number of scenarios but rather the racio "nr of scenarios"/"money invested". Because there's also a opportunity cost involved. You'll always have other games you can buy with the same amount of money you're going to invest.

This said, what I'm asking is if for the money you have to invest, the game has enough replayability, compared to a possible investment of the same amount on other great games out there.

First, if you'd rather spend your money on other/multiple games, you should, as variety of titles is always going to win out over variety of scenarios. However, for the game I play most often, I rarely play the official scenarios, so counting the number of official scenarios available is irrelevant. Also, for this game, I have no idea how the scenaros will create any meaningful difference in terms of replayability. They may turn out to be very much the same! However, hope springs eternal. I'm hpoing the figures give a good representation of the Walking Dead characters and the tiles are different and evocative. If they are, then the included scenarios should be ok and my imagination can do the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
First, if you'd rather spend your money on other/multiple games, you should, as variety of titles is always going to win out over variety of scenarios. However, for the game I play most often, I rarely play the official scenarios, so counting the number of official scenarios available is irrelevant. Also, for this game, I have no idea how the scenaros will create any meaningful difference in terms of replayability. They may turn out to be very much the same! However, hope springs eternal. I'm hpoing the figures give a good representation of the Walking Dead characters and the tiles are different and evocative. If they are, then the included scenarios should be ok and my imagination can do the rest.

Actually I already pledge for the game I do believe that custom scenarios will be created. And I do believe they are going to add replayability, depending on the special rules, objectives, and theme (adventure?) of those custom scenarios. Please, if you ever come up with new scenarios yourself, share them with us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.