Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding the actual gameplay unnecessarily long and rather boring towards the end.

I thought about scraping 2 game rounds (ie 2 pages from Book).
What would be the best compensation for this? 2 Madness cards in each draw deck?

For a good solution see this below:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23613181#23613181

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to shorten the game?
I have thought of doing the same, but I would call it the little book of madness, or mini book of madness. The madness novella if you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to shorten the game?
After several test plays I have come to conclusion that in fact you only need 3 Monsters at all. And here is the variant:

The Small Book of Madness
1) when preparing the Grimoire / Book of Madness, add only 3 monster sheets (1 starting + 2 in the middle + the final page)
2) new page may be turned over only if all curses have been broken (i.e. via success condition)
3) if there is at least one curse remaining at Invocation (1), remove all of them and the actual Monster reappears (i.e. remains undefeated): add new curses + execute Monster's arrival effect
4) if the 3rd / final Monster is not revealed at the start of round 6, all players will automatically lose (in addition to the Madness or final page loss condition)
5) for experienced players: add 1 or 2 Madness cards to each player's deck at the setup

In this way, the game should become quite quick, less repetitive and with stronger feel of battle/progress. In addition, it should remain similarly challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I am considering further is whether the Madness deck should not be thinned as well - like say by minus 5 cards. So far it seemed like that we either had abundance of it anyway or were losing in the end regardless. Less cards will surely increase the press and it seems as for shorter games the original numbers are more than enough.

On the other hand - with any starting Madness it is much harder and with less cards in Madness deck it might become imposible. I had to run more tests on it.. definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
I'm finding the actual gameplay unnecessarily long and rather boring towards the end.
I wouldn't say it gets boring, but the game does take longer than I expected.

I've also been wondering if I should use fewer monsters. I'll give your variant a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.