Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not clear on exactly how pillboxes work.

1. Do pillboxes create a second location in a hex?

2. Does a unit that is moving through a hex with a pillbox have to pay the -3 cost of movement if the pillbox is in open ground and it elects not to use it? How about the -2 penalty for Foxholes?

3. Section 54.1 of the rulebook states that "When moving into and out of a hex with a Foxhole, units do not get the benefit of the Foxhole and may
be considered moving in Open Ground."
The only situation I can think of where a unit "moves out of" a hex is if it starts its movement already in a Pillbox adjacent to an enemy unit and attempts to move into the enemy's hex, at which point it is subject to Op Fire/FOF in its original hex. Are there other situations where a unit actually "moves out of" a Foxhole where this would apply?

4. Are there any restrictions as to where a Foxhole or Pillbox may be placed?

[edit: added Q4]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Quote:
1. Do pillboxes create a second location in a hex?

No

Quote:
2. Does a unit that is moving through a hex with a pillbox have to pay the -3 cost of movement if the pillbox is in open ground and it elects not to use it? How about the -2 penalty for Foxholes?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. What penalty for movement?

Quote:
3. Section 54.1 of the rulebook states that "When moving into and out of a hex with a Foxhole, units do not get the benefit of the Foxhole and maybe considered moving in Open Ground."

What this is saying is that when moving into the hex, you are not yet considered in the foxhole, so you do not get the terrain benefit of the foxhole until you end your move.

Quote:
The only situation I can think of where a unit "moves out of" a hex is if it starts its movement already in a Pillbox adjacent to an enemy unit and attempts to move into the enemy's hex, at which point it is subject to Op Fire/FOF in its original hex.

That is correct.

Quote:
4. Are there any restrictions as to where a Foxhole or Pillbox may be placed?

Not in buildings, bridges, or water. Sometimes other spots by scenario rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I didn't mean -2 penalty, I meant 2 cost of movement (as opposed to 1 for open terrain). But you answered the question anyway. I misread the PAC; I'm a bit surprised it is less costly to move into a Pillbox than a foxhole or building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no cost to move 'into' a Foxhole other than the normal cost of the hexes' terrain. You are getting confused with other games.

A Foxhole is just a marker which confers defensive benefits to non-moving infantry or Guns within its hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to confirm, when moving through a hex with a pillbox, foxhole or trench the movement cost is based on the terrain in the hex. What happens if you move from a trench hex to a trench hex, for argument's sake in a hex with a movement cost greater than 1? Would the trench movement negate the 2MP for woods for example and count as 1MP per hex? I know roads represent trenches in the game and so this is a moot point as the roads are in open/clear hexes, I'm just wondering if there were a case in the future where trenches could be in woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cillmhor wrote:
So just to confirm, when moving through a hex with a pillbox, foxhole or trench the movement cost is based on the terrain in the hex. What happens if you move from a trench hex to a trench hex, for argument's sake in a hex with a movement cost greater than 1? Would the trench movement negate the 2MP for woods for example and count as 1MP per hex? I know roads represent trenches in the game and so this is a moot point as the roads are in open/clear hexes, I'm just wondering if there were a case in the future where trenches could be in woods.

Well the existing rules say that Trenches don't affect movement in any way. I suspect that it was pulled from an SSR into the main rulebook without considering general applicability and will have to be re-visited. You would think that it would cost 1 MP to move along a Trench or 1+1 if you go up a level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
I agree with Beresford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.