Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

I review all my games when they reach 100 plays. In the case of Dominion it had reached that already when I started this review series, so I waited for it to hit the next milestone, which in this case was 300 plays. For my full list of 100 play reviews see My 100 Plays Reviews.

First Impressions:

Dominion was an instant hit when we first discovered it. 34 plays in the first month - we just couldn't play just one game at a single sitting, and it came out over and over again. At the time, back when it was first released in 2008, there just wasn't anything else like it out there, and it felt so fresh and new and totally different. And with its short playtime, it was very easy to get it to the table.

Getting to 100 plays:

2008: 59
2009: 92
2010: 32
2011: 23
2012: 8
2013: 18
2014: 10
2015: 10
2016: 44

As you can see Dominion was hugely popular when we first got it, and buying the first expansion, Intrigue, just made us more keen and it saw regular play through its first year or so of owning. Then other games came along that competed with it - Ascension and 7 Wonders in particular - and it stopped seeing so much regular tabletime. Plus although I still enjoyed it, some of my regular opponents, my husband in particular, started objecting to it, so it stopped coming out, and I was reduced to playing it against AI on the computer mostly. Most of the physical plays in 2011 were actually with my children, as my then 4 and 6 year olds really enjoyed it, as long as I kept attack cards out of the mix. In fact in 2012 my husband refused to play it at all, so I was limited to only plays I could get when I was at games groups without him, or the odd play with my children. Then we bought a couple of expansions, and they brought it back into rotation a bit. However, if it hadn't been for my children I wouldn't have been writing this review so soon - they rediscovered this game this summer holidays, and it has been a huge hit, and almost all those 44 plays this year have been with them over the holidays - twice a year nearly every day!

Current Impressions:

Dominion when it was released was a completely new idea - now there are hundreds of deckbuilders, and hence it has too much competition to ever be a real favourite again. However, it is a great family game, and a game I am always happy to play, both with adults (I regularly suggest it when gaming with gamers I know enjoy it) and with my children - especially since they've branched out into the various expansions we own. It has so many cards that every game does feel very different, giving it huge replayability - even with just the base game we got to 100 plays, and once we started adding expansions in that has just increased the card combinations and hence replayability further. I foresee quite a few more plays with them before the current craze starts to wane, and I'm happy with that! And when it does, I'm sure I'll still play it most months somewhere.

Will there be another 100 plays?

I think that's a definite for Dominion, it's just how many years it takes - given past crazes with my children I suspect it won't get all the way to 400 plays with them, but might get close. If not, even before they rediscovered it I was still playing it 10 times a year (and still regularly against AI), so it'll get there eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got our copy in March 2013 and have 366 plays. Most of them are just my husband and me though we do have a few friends who enjoy it, too. It's my husband's forever favorite. Same things happens here as you describe with cult of the new pushing it to the shelf but then we remember it again and it gets a lot of plays again for awhile.

I'll bet your kids will keep it coming to the table pretty often for quite awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dominion Empires is superb. It has events, landmarks, castles, gathering piles, debt, all sorts of new exciting cool stuff that refreshes Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Empires, too. In fact, we are liking it more than we like Adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
If we ever had a fire, I would grab my box of Dominion and Marvel Legendary as I head out the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one play shy of 500 recorded plays of Dominion and/or expansions. It's my wife's favorite. I started recording plays in 2013, and top 100 plays of this per year since recording plays.

Edit: I had my 500th play today, 9/26/16. It was with my wife. She won 56 to 52.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.