$15.00
$20.00
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really appreciate anyone who has the game advising how how many of the scenarios use hidden set-up? Really tempted to buy, fired up by reading the Leckie and Sledge memoirs on the Pacific, but trying to stay calm and rational and, realistically it will mostly get solo play, as my FtF opponents prefer euros/lighter strategy. I'm guessing there might be a fair few assault scenarios where one side is dug in and/or in jungle and so hidden initially?... I have AtB 2nd edition and IMO it plays ok solo, with the variable APs variant rule, but not where a scenario has a lot of hidden set-up. (I know you can randomise hidden units eg with dummy chits in a cup, but its just not quite the same.)

I do also have the AtB solo variant, yet to unbox it, but have seen the threads here which confirm you can pretty easily use the cards (or the downloadable chits available here on the geek) from it in Guadalcanal to vary when a unit goes 'spent'. This should make solo games even better, but still doesn't really solve the hidden set up issue. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samwise46 wrote:
I'd really appreciate anyone who has the game advising how how many of the scenarios use hidden set-up? Really tempted to buy, fired up by reading the Leckie and Sledge memoirs on the Pacific, but trying to stay calm and rational and, realistically it will mostly get solo play, as my FtF opponents prefer euros/lighter strategy. I'm guessing there might be a fair few assault scenarios where one side is dug in and/or in jungle and so hidden initially?... I have AtB 2nd edition and IMO it plays ok solo, with the variable APs variant rule, but not where a scenario has a lot of hidden set-up. (I know you can randomise hidden units eg with dummy chits in a cup, but its just not quite the same.)

I do also have the AtB solo variant, yet to unbox it, but have seen the threads here which confirm you can pretty easily use the cards (or the downloadable chits available here on the geek) from it in Guadalcanal to vary when a unit goes 'spent'. This should make solo games even better, but still doesn't really solve the hidden set up issue. Thanks in advance.

I am curious how you play solo? Do you just play back and forth or are you using the solo expansion?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Schmalzried
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo expansion isn't due out till next year Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just back and forth, no real fancy tips I'm afraid, I haven't got into the AtB solo variant yet, let alone adapting it for Guadalcanal, so may be missing a whole new world there :) (Though opinion seems divided about how well the solo variant translates to Gl.)The variable APs rule and the card play do definitely spice things up for solo. Also, where possible, I avoid looking at the 'other' side's fresh card draw or any new hit markers before deciding what to do next (and if its a KIA marker and I just shot at it again then the shot is still spent). I have toyed with the idea of turning cards each turn for solo, but to be honest just playing the hand as it comes for each side and imagining what you'd have done if you didn't know the oppo's hand works pretty well. Other than that I just try to play each side to the best, but find some scenarios much better than others solo, hence my post.

For example, I think AtB Ff 5 (Red Ice) is a blast solo, very atmospheric with the night rules, as the desperate defending Germans can guess more or less what the Russians are up to, trying to bluff, rush or outflank them, or some combination of those, but maybe the bluff will suddenly turn into an actual charge, what do they prioritise and do their MGs jam in the freezing cold at the critical moment... Im not claiming a great deal of game-time with CoH, so v intrested in others views, but from quite limited experience perhaps scenarios with a clear attacker and defender but no initial hidden deployment work best solo? (when playing without the more programmed solo AI).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I found the answer to my own question, as I had not realised the firefight booklet was downloadable on Academy's site (how splendid of them) In case anyone else is interested, fully half of the 12 scenarios involve hidden initial placement: in 3 of the 6 all of one side starts hidden and in the other 3 part of one side starts hidden.

Not sure the answer has helped me much in deciding which side of the fence to jump! So I would still be interested if anyone has any views on whether those 6 scenarios could work pretty well without using the hidden set up, or even clever ideas for dealing with hidden set-up generally in solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam French
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mb
Are you meaning by hidden setup, units that haven't come onto the board yet, such as in FF 1 and 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hekking
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same question.
I love the game, and play it mostly solo. I've played most of the scenarios against an opponent, and have found that where you place your hidden units and how you manage them can make a huge difference to the outcome and 'story'.
One thought I had about hidden placement is to pre-determine the most likely hexes an opponent would use, and then to randomly determine if a unit is hidden there when you move into the hex...I haven't done anything more than think about it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the CoH rule books described a method for soloing with hidden units (I think). Essentially, drop the chits for the units to be hidden into a cup and a also include a like number of blank chits of same size/shape. Mark twice as many hexes on the map as hidden units using coins etc. When a hidden unit (coin hex) is to be revealed, draw from the the cup to see if a unit is pulled.

This is the same mechanic as with rumored enemy units, so if you have the AtB solo expansion, use the rumored enemy chits in place of coins and the No Enemy chits in the cup with the units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hekking
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, I'll give that a try.

A friend and I recently played 'Firefight 4 - Edson’s Lucky Raid', which allows the Japanese to set up hidden anywhere on the map.

Of course, my friend placed a hidden Japanese unit right next to one of my starting hexes...needless to say, the Marines got quite a surprise that day.

It's the sort of 'irrational' behavior that I feel solo play just doesn't capture well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.