$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Adrenaline» Forums » General

Subject: My questions (concerns?) before getting really pumped for this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this game leapt into my watchlist thanks to the contest here on BGG, so thanks to CGE (one of my favorite publishers, by the way) for the contest, putting this game on my radar, and making great games in general.

In reading what little I can find about this game I have a few questions before it shoots up near the top of my wishlist. The biggest one is how many players it really will support. The BGG listing says 2-5, but the videos I watched with CGE's PaulGrogan giving the overview said it was for 3-5, and the gameplay seems geared towards having at least 3 players on the board. One other video mentioned the possible inclusion of bots to make fewer players possible, which I very much hope is doable. If they add a bot or 2 for 2 players will there be a solo variant? Will there always be 5 players on the board then? I'm just gonna have to wait and see what really shakes out in the final version to find out if this is a game for my collection or to hope I can play at a local game day, because it is a family rule that a game must play well with 2 to make it on our shelf.

My second question is about the different methods of scoring. I know you will score points in various ways for doing damage to opponents, but I also heard in one of the videos that you will track kills and earn points for most kills, with decreasing rewards for killing the same person. Something like that. This made me wonder if there is any chance to have some kind of hidden scoring or if all scoring will be open, or if there are any other methods to earn points. And (not knowing what end game conditions are) will you score points for damage done to a living player at game end or is that damage for naught? I think this kind of game lends itself well to hidden goals, end game rewards, or achievements (like implemented in Super Motherload. I LOVE they way they implemented those and it would really be in the "video game" flavor of the theme).
I think having these alternate methods of scoring would be great to prevent the sinking feeling of seeing someone in the lead and feeling that the lead is insurmountable. You may just get that achievement or have an end game bonus you know is locked up. It could be that you have some goals like the agenda cards in Alien Frontiers: Factions that you can reveal when you accomplish something or at end game when meeting another requirement. Great for sneaking up on someone who triggered end game thinking they had it in the bag. Keeps everyone in the game, engaged, and guessing until the end.

Finally, I wonder about replayability, variety, and possible expansions. It seems like the map is static by number of players. I would be interested to hear if there are plans for other maps, or how much of an effect the shape or size of the map has. The only variability I have heard about is in the weapons so far. Any thoughts on replay value? I think the use of randomly dealt player powers to change the feel of the "characters" each play would be great for some replay value, as well as the use of the goals/achievements referenced above. Maybe some of these could be considered if not included in the base.

Anyway, obviously I'm very interested in this game, and eagerly await reviews and full rules explanations. Any thoughts on player count, variable scoring methods, or replay value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Grogan's sneak preview will be out 2 weeks before Essen, stay tuned
Did u already see first official card in the gallery? cool.
Also watch video where he talks about BOTS with 2 players and the cool weapon that burn everyone on the map, a big flambé
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
Also watch video where he talks about BOTS with 2 players and the cool weapon that burn everyone on the map, a big flambé

There was one video I hadn't watched on here yet, just went to watch it and he did say that they were working on bots for 2 players. I will be interested to see if they end up recommending bots for just 2 player games, or if it will be beneficial to use them to always have 5 characters. It will be interesting to see if it will still be fun solo.

I'd seriously love to see cards like the agenda cards in alien frontiers factions or achievements like in super motherload, though. I think they would be perfect for a video game-y game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
Paul Grogan's sneak preview will be out 2 weeks before Essen, stay tuned :)
Also watch video where he talks about BOTS with 2 players and the cool weapon that burn everyone on the map, a big flambé :)

Where can I find this video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Little
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
UtterMarcus wrote:

Where can I find this video?

It is here https://goo.gl/KWmQO2 although there are plenty of other reviews and play throughs out now. Rodney Smith of Watch It Played released his video today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.