Le Havre» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anyone ever tried Speed Le Havre? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Like 10 minutes/player... I don't know if it's an actual thing, but seems like it could be pretty hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baronholbach wrote:
Like 10 minutes/player... I don't know if it's an actual thing, but seems like it could be pretty hilarious.

I tried it but I ran out of speed halfway through. Ha ha... ahem....

We have played games fast, using the timing cube. Formula d with 10 secs turns is amazing. 7 wonders works well with short timed turns. I think these games play as different games, better games, this way.

Not tried Le havre but I've never experienced it slow to the point I feel it needs to be sped up. And playing this one fast I reckon would just feel like Le havre fast. Not an improved game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Slim Chalkey wrote:
And playing this one fast I reckon would just feel like Le havre fast. Not an improved game.

Well personally I love this game just how it is, but the reason I thought of it for a speed variant is because the AP in this game is primarily due to the temptation of optimizing the system, 5-10 turns out or more. So if you were to play at a pace where getting the optimization right was understood to be out of the question, it might be very dynamic and unpredictable. To me, it seems like it would become a very different game. I'll let you know once I've tried it.

I have not played Formula D but I thought it was mostly a roll-the-dice and race game? So for that one, I don't know it well enough to know what decisions you have to ponder each turn. 7 Wonders sounds pretty funny though, although you're always kind of rushed in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to play gut feel rather than optimisation. People put pressure on themselves not to let it drag. I'm not sure I'd want to play any game where people spend ages on an optimisation analysis.thats just not fun for me.

Re F De, the decisions are gear selection, where you end the turn on the track (left/right) and whether to scrub off tyres/brakes to change end position (forward/back). It's not complex but condensed into 10'secs,...? Feels like racing. People stay engaged throughout. And mistakes are made. So it's funny.

We did a similar thing with Terra Mystica. From the outset we agreed we'd have to play fast and loose. It was so much fun. For everyone. Because everyone was playing that way. It wasn't SPEED as such. Just no messing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.