6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you camp on a gate with an activity marker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mr mr
msg tools
Hello,
Just before I came out of the other world an environment card stopped us from sealing gates. So I just camped on the place and waited for the environment to change and skipped my movement phases. A monster also appeared (due to monster surge) so I just fought it and stayed there.

Is this allowed as all it says is for the arkham encounter phase you must perform either the text if there's a gate or no gate, but you 'may close/seal', and doesn't explicitly say you have to leave?

and I was really unsure whether I was supposed to draw an encounter card or not?

btw, a Dhole has just appeared and we're a bit scared. How do you kill them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly OK to stay on the Gate waiting for the right time to Close/Seal (but as it's not permissible to Trade Clues, there's a limited number of circumstances where it's useful - and you found one).

There is a Variant (IIRC it's a Designer's house rule) that allows you to have Encountered while on a Gate, but RAW it's not permitted.

Regarding the Dhole... have you considered the power of prayer? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
Thanks. I guess with a game that is not perfectly linear there will always be gaps in the rules to figure out.

Is it usually easier to seal 6 gates or go for the 3 trophies and all closed gates route (we're on 3 player)?

btw, we're about half way through and we hand picked Yig, Darryl, Caroline and Mandy. Reading all the rules took a toll at the start and we've done about 4 hours so far (longer than expected). So far it seems quite easy going and I'm sure the game knows where we are as things just happen where we are

I can't believe how much my sons are enjoying this as usually with the complicated games they get bored and give up (like Civilisation)

[edit]Ah, you lose half for resistance, I thought it was all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
Is it usually easier to seal 6 gates or go for the 3 trophies and all closed gates route (we're on 3 player)?

I'd say that sealing 6 gates is usually easier. I think in all my games I only managed twice to win by closing all gates. But then again, you never know when the opportunity for the latter arises. So, if you can afford it, it might not be a bad idea to save some gate trophies just in case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
Thanks. I guess with a game that is not perfectly linear there will always be gaps in the rules to figure out.

You should go for 6 Seals as your main strategy, backed up with Plan B of winning the Final Battle but keeping a weather eye on the chance of closing all the Gates

Quote:
btw, we're about half way through and we hand picked Yig, Darryl, Caroline and Mandy. Reading all the rules took a toll at the start and we've done about 4 hours so far (longer than expected). So far it seems quite easy going and I'm sure the game knows where we are as things just happen where we are
all co-op games are sentient, this one more than most

Quote:
I can't believe how much my sons are enjoying this as usually with the complicated games they get bored and give up (like Civilisation)

[edit]Ah, you lose half for resistance, I thought it was all!
that's half of each bonus, not half of the total. This makes two +3 weapons better than a +6 in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Quote:
Ah, you lose half for resistance, I thought it was all!
that's half of each bonus, not half of the total. This makes two +3 weapons better than a +6 in this regard.

Gah! I’ve been playing that bit wrong (taking half the total.) Thanks for pointing that out.
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.