France
flag msg tools
mb
I mean :
best Torpedo card ?
best Missile card ?
best Modification card ?
etc..
and best overall upgrade card (Push the limit, perhaps...)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What the best upgrades cards ?
all cards have their uses, it really depends which ships/pilots are in your squadron, which strategy you plan to use, how many points you have left etc. so there is no clearcut answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Push the Limit is widely regarded as one of the best upgrades period. Anything that allows you to take more actions is a huge advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it depends on the ship and what your list is trying to do.

You can certainly make a list of "staple" cards that are often useful. Push the Limit and Veteran Instincts for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
And what about the "Accuracy Corrector" card ?
This is a powerful card, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
And what about the "Accuracy Corrector" card ?
This is a powerful card, imho.

Again, it it depends on your setup. Putting it on, say, Keyan Farlander's B-Wing where you can push the limit and get a target lock, another action, stress and then use the stress as a focus on your attack, accuracy corrector isn't a great upgrade. You're already attacking with a target lock and focus.

On a basic B-Wing with Accuracy Corrector as the only upgrade... it's pretty powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Accuracy Corrector is only really good on a few ships I feel - not a contender for a top card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends entirely on the ship you're flying. PtL is almost universally useful, but there are some ships you just don't want taking stress all the time.

On the other hand, Tycho in an A-Wing? Give him Prototype Pilot, Push the Limit, Rage and Experimental Interface, and you'll be doing three Actions per round, one of which (Rage) gives you a Focus token and three attack rerolls. Load up any other ship like that and it'll be a useless mess because it can't ignore stress like he can.

Plasma Torpedoes are terrific if you're fighting ships with lots of shields, since they knock off an extra one when they hit. Not as useful against a TIE swarm.

Advanced Sensors is great for any ship where it gives you the flexibility to take stress before your maneuver so you can clear it during the maneuver, or where you know you're going to be taking a red maneuver but want to take an action first. For example, on an IG-88 ship, where you can PtL, then take a green maneuver and clear it right away.

Autothrusters is a good bet for any ship with Boost, especially if you're playing against turrets.

Accuracy Corrector is useful in some circumstances. Flying a Ghost with an Autoblaster Turret? Guaranteed two uncancelable hits every time. Not so useful for its primary weapon.

Veteran Instincts is useful on a lot of ships if you're going to be facing another high-initiative list. Especially good when you only have a couple ships and want to make sure they shoot first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For ordnance, some of the best cards are Plasma Torps, Proton Torps, and Homing Missiles. Also, Guidance Chips to go with them.

If you're flying a 3 agility ship, then Proton Rockets (aka Prockets) are good, otherwise you wouldn't use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are designed to be situational, and as such, there really can't be (in my opinion) any single "best" card. If there were, everyone would be using it all the time. Palpatine gets a lot of use, and it's powerful, but is it the best card? It's limited to Imperial, takes two crew slots so can only be used on a limited number of ships, and takes a high percentage of your 100 point squad. Push the Limit is more generic, can be used on lots of different pilots, but it doesn't benefit all of them equally. Flechette torpedoes give out stress, which doesn't do much to an opponent that doesn't care about stress. Homing missiles prevent the target from using evade tokens, which doesn't do anything to targets that can't (or don't) take evade tokens!

Part of what makes this game great is there are so many options, each attractive in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There's almost nothing that's absolutely universally good, but based on some screwing around with data from top 32s at major tournaments, the best cards include but are not limited to:

Push the Limit
Autothrusters
Crack Shot
Plasma Torpedoes
Guidance Chips
Engine Upgrade

But it's always worth noting that some cards aren't open to all ships, and some cards are terrible on one ship but amazing on another (Countermeasures, being the most recent example of something that's found a niche nobody was expecting, but also Deadeye before it) or which become amazing when comboed with a new release.

By slot probably:
EPT: Push The Limit
Crew: Palpatine
Mod: Autothrusters if you have Boost, Engine Upgrade if not, but this slot is often left empty as not spending points often > any other option in it. Unless you're a TIE Phantom in which case ACD.
Title: too ship dependent for there to be a best one, but in a vaccuum, A Wing Test Pilot is probably the best one available.
Turret: TLT
Cannon: HLC or Tractor Beam depending on which ship you're flying.
Missile: Homing probably
Torpedo: Plasma or Extra Munitions pretty much equally.
System: Fire Control System
Tech: Comm Relay, but Sensor Cluster once it comes out.
Illicit: Glitterstim
Bomb: Conner Net

But as notted for Mod, there are several slots where the best otpion is nothing a lot of the time, particularly missile and torpedo.

Have I missed any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:

I'd probably go with Advanced Sensors here. Yes, FCS gives you a target lock without having to take the action (or even without having the target lock action), but Advanced Sensors is great insurance in case you're facing a maneuver that's suddenly blocked by another ship or one you're not sure will clear an obstacle. It's also good for using before a red maneuver; it's a staple on my Brobots builds, where I'll use it to boost, get my free evade action, then whip around with an S-loop. Unless you're stressed going into your activation, it basically guarantees your action for that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DailyRich wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:

I'd probably go with Advanced Sensors here. Yes, FCS gives you a target lock without having to take the action (or even without having the target lock action), but Advanced Sensors is great insurance in case you're facing a maneuver that's suddenly blocked by another ship or one you're not sure will clear an obstacle. It's also good for using before a red maneuver; it's a staple on my Brobots builds, where I'll use it to boost, get my free evade action, then whip around with an S-loop. Unless you're stressed going into your activation, it basically guarantees your action for that turn.

As noted it really depends on the ship. Personally, I think the line between glittercrack and AS Brobots is pretty fine and depends a lot on the skill of the player with one or the other. I'd argue that FCS is more useful more often in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.