Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought the Fourth Edition not too long ago, and we now have played it only two times: once with three specials and the second with two.

I have a very strong feeling that the game is too much based on luck. I like luck-based game, but usually when they are short and quick.

I take this one more seriously (I read here it is "a thinking-man race game") and really try to do the best accelerations and decelerations, to take the smartest path, etc. But my first impression is: if you make a couple of very bad "time attacks", like rolling three exclamation marks on four dice, you are almost automatically out of the competition, and I find it very frustrating.

In the games we played (we play only two-player games), I had three flat tyres, while my SO had none, and I rolled many more exclamation marks than him, so I lost control more, and that placed me in an impossible position for a win.

If you lost control and, with it, lost a precious amount of seconds, why would you not make more "time attacks" to try and recuperate this lost time?

I feel that, in this game, when you lose control a couple of times, you are finished and your only wish is for the other to lose control too.

This annoys me because I like all the fine tuning of the path of the race, but I find that the luck factor ruins it...

But, seeing how much this game is (still) appreciated, I tell myself my first impressions are wrong. So could you please help me understand what I am missing, please?

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With dice in a game it's always about luck.
But Rallyman is more than just about your lucky dice roll.
You need to plan your moves too.
Do you go for an extra dice or do you skip a gear?
Do you chance to take a short cut (and get a puncture) or do you slide through the corners?
And much more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Use the SISU card. (It is a one time "ignore the !" card).
- Don't drive recklessly - especially once your SISU is used up. Use extra seconds to buy safe rolls.
- Shortcuts are risky, think about which ones you really need. You can't win with a puncture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to adjust you thinking and strategy. Yes, there can a big push your luck element to this game, but as you have found out, when it coes wrong you are screwed.

As Andreas said, remember you have a SISU card (although more often than not, I end up using mine straight off the start).

The big strategy is when you push your luck. Yes, you get time bonuses for pushing on but a lot of the time it is more beneficial to roll the dice individually, that way you can either stop or choose to spend seconds to ensure a favourable die result. I've pulled out wins playing cautiously when the other players have pushed too hard.

The 'thinking man's racing game' tag comes from this. It's much more than just a dice chucker - it's about timing and strategy, reading the track ahead and deciding when to push on as much as it is about luck and that appeals to a lot of us.

Also, a lot of the buzz for this game comes from the 1 Player Guild as we have a series of challenges each month where we can compete against each other and compare results and standings at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your interesting replies! You have convinced me to try again. I will try a more prudent strategy and see if my feelings change.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife bounced off the game for the same reason: she wants to attack every turn! She wants to be McRae, but you need to be more of an Ogier—I don't mean complain about the road order (unless you're using Dirt), but be really judicious about when to push and when to be conservative.

I love that about the game, and it's one of the many things it captures so well about rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right.

I tried the game again, just on one race track (not a complete three-track rally) and I have played with more prudence. It was more fun that way and I even won!

In fact, I realize that it was some sort of panic that took me, in the first plays, when I lost control for the first time in a race. Being really conscious that I was behind the time of my adversary, I became reckless and took too much chances, and that lead to other losses of control. Even if I lose time in a loss of control, I should stay prudent: maybe I will not be able to gain on my adversary again, but, at least, I will end my race with more satisfaction.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camdin wrote:
You are right.

I tried the game again, just on one race track (not a complete three-track rally) and I have played with more prudence. It was more fun that way and I even won!

In fact, I realize that it was some sort of panic that took me, in the first plays, when I lost control for the first time in a race. Being really conscious that I was behind the time of my adversary, I became reckless and took too much chances, and that lead to other losses of control. Even if I lose time in a loss of control, I should stay prudent: maybe I will not be able to gain on my adversary again, but, at least, I will end my race with more satisfaction.

Thanks again!

And there lies the skill of a real racer You need to be able to keep calm and not let emotions or panic take over.

I'm glad you've managed to find the heart of this game, now you can enjoy the challenge of trying to get the best out of it

If you look on the 1 Player Guild for the SGOYT Monthly Challenge thread, you will find a load of pre-designed courses to try out and compare times tosee how well you compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for these good advices! It really helps to have you, fellow gamers, to help appreciate the game better. Now I am eager to play the game again!

I will certainly go take a look at the guild, as you suggest, and will be curious to see how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.