Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Barber
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've completed a couple plays of Islebound, and I found it curious that your towns that you Conquer or take by Diplomacy are not counted towards renown for your final victory point tally. Am I simply missing something, or was this an intentional choice?

We counted our towns owned anyway (just by using the Diplomacy/Conquer score for equivalent VP) and didn't seem to notice any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do count, indirectly: When you conquer or diplomatically ally with a city, you receive spoils, i.e. money.
Money = points (unless you spend it again, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Barber
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
While that's true, it also seemingly reduces the benefit to capturing a town. While the waiving of the visit cost is not insignificant, you can still claim victory without it.

Furthermore it raises the questions of why would you desire to conquer towns held by other players, aside from removing the visit benefit from them. If towns were counted towards your final renown score, it would add a clearer strategic benefit to claiming towns and stealing towns from other players, would it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeCaffinatedPlease wrote:
While that's true, it also seemingly reduces the benefit to capturing a town. While the waiving of the visit cost is not insignificant, you can still claim victory without it.

Furthermore it raises the questions of why would you desire to conquer towns held by other players, aside from removing the visit benefit from them. If towns were counted towards your final renown score, it would add a clearer strategic benefit to claiming towns and stealing towns from other players, would it not?

It's not intended to be an aggressive sort of game, so it doesn't hugely reward taking over another's town - it even makes it trickier as you need 2 extra attack or diplomacy.

However towards the end of the game we often do take over each other's town - just because we're looking for any town to convert our current attack or diplomacy into points. Towns that have quite a high cost for use (one where you have to exhaust someone as well as pay a coin) are also ripe for taking over earlier.

I'm very glad it plays the way it does - it doesn't feel too sad if someone steals your island, and equally it's not hugely important to try and take over your opponents islands.

There are many aggressive games where it's all about taking over each others land (like Cyclades for instance), but this isn't one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Barber
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fair enough, haha. It was more just a point of curiosity as we had a player who played very aggressively towards the endgame. Definitely still a fun game either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are buildings that reward you for taking over towns and allying with them so that increases the desire to acquire towns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.