Hide
6 Posts

Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » Rules

Subject: NVL Commitment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Starr
msg tools
I'm completely new to this game and this has to be a simple solution, but it has evaded me thus far. I don't understand NVL commitment at all. Spending U.S. commitment lowers the U.S. morale; what is the downside or limiting factor of spending NLF commitment? There has to be rule that I skipped when I read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such rule. The NVN morale/commitment will just increase, with no downside, feeding from itself and US commitment.

The game for the US is a race against the clock. NVN would eventually win it, but the US will win the game if NVN has not managed to capture Saigon at the end of the first season of 1975.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Starr
msg tools
so why keep track of it? I think I'm really misunderstanding something. Surely that doesn't mean the NLF player can buy any NVN unit he wants, and send as much supplies as he desires every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Both players have "morale", and "commitment".

The US morale starts high, and will usually just go down. The US player can purchase stuff, increasing commitment, but can no longer purchase once the commitment is as high (or higher) as the morale. In practice, there are lots of reasons to limit the purchases instead of purchasing as much as it is possible, as fast as it is possible.

The NVN morale starts low, but will increase each turn, almost never going down. The NVN player can use the difference between morale and commitment each season to purchase more stuff, or save the difference or part of it for a few turns to purchase a lot of stuff at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Starr
msg tools
"The NVN player can use the difference between morale and commitment each season to purchase more stuff,"

Yes! Thank you! That was the part I somehow missed.
Now I understand :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game Bryon. Check out the extended FAQ in the files section. It will help you as you get into some of the trickier questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.