Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after first game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game, and two questions came up:

- During an Evade action, does the monsters action count as an actual monster attack? One of us had the Elder Ward item which grants n extra die during a monster attack. So does it grant the die during an Evade action as well?

- The app has you remove explore tokens on connecting doors that haven't actually been explored when an ajacent room is placed. Do these doors count as open after the token is removed even though you haven't actually moved through that particular door?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Vargen666 wrote:
The app has you remove explore tokens on connecting doors that haven't actually been explored when an ajacent room is placed. Do these doors count as open after the token is removed even though you haven't actually moved through that particular door?

The game has no concept of an "open" door. A door is a door and blocks Range.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An Evade check does not result in a Combat Action so there is no Monster Attack Action.

A door is simply a door - open or closed.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Vargen666 wrote:
During an Evade action, does the monsters action count as an actual monster attack? One of us had the Elder Ward item which grants n extra die during a monster attack. So does it grant the die during an Evade action as well?

The RR on page 8, Evade Check, says
Quote:
Any effects generated from this selection are part of the
investigator’s evade check.

This to me suggests that the damage generated by the monster is part of the Evade Check and not an Attack.

On the other hand, what did the App say? If it mentions you took damage from the attack, that would suggest you could use the Elder Ward.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster attacks only happen during the Mythos Phase, and only then when the monster activates. Evade checks and Horror checks are not attacks.

So the only time you would add the dice for the Elder Ward is during a test that followed a button that states "The monster attacks".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, this makes things a bit clearer. If I understood correctly:

About doors: So basically there is no such concept in the game. Doors are just passages to ajacent tiles. They block Range. So if for example a monster activates and moves toward an investigator "withing range" it'd be blocked by a door. If however it were to move "toward the nearest investigator" it'd pass freely through doors. Am I correct?

Monster attacks: seems clear now. I don't remember the actual wording on the Horror check, though it did mention that the monster grabbed the investigator or some such and that the investigator suffered damage. So that's why I wondered whether or not I could use the Elder Ward.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:
Thanks guys, this makes things a bit clearer. If I understood correctly:

About doors: So basically there is no such concept in the game. Doors are just passages to ajacent tiles. They block Range. So if for example a monster activates and moves toward an investigator "withing range" it'd be blocked by a door. If however it were to move "toward the nearest investigator" it'd pass freely through doors. Am I correct?

You've got it!

Quote:
Monster attacks: seems clear now. I don't remember the actual wording on the Horror check, though it did mention that the monster grabbed the investigator or some such and that the investigator suffered damage. So that's why I wondered whether or not I could use the Elder Ward.

Yeah, it's not exactly defined in the rules, and probably should have been, but the only way to consistently rule Elder Ward given the rules we have is that only "the monster attacks" instructions count.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Jorgen! I think the next game will go a lot smoother now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.