Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find a thread on this, so I've decided to post here a couple of great illustrations from John Howe that for some reason or another didn't make into the game (or, perhaps, weren't even considered).

DISCLAIMER: Some of these illustrations may be used in the Battles of the Third Age expansion for the 1st edition of the War of the Ring; I have no idea which.

This is Gothmog, Mordor's military commander during the advance on The White City:



Here Howe led the interpretation that he may be some human, possibly a Black Numenorean.

One portrait of Aragorn:



This portrait of Aragorn resembles the game's version of Strider more than the official version of Aragorn:



Strider, I think I like this one more than the one in the game:



A more human-like version of Treebeard:



Were there ever plans to include Tom Bombadil as a character?



King Theoden:



A Boromir after a hairdresser treatment:



Would be cool to see the last of the three great Elven Lords, Celeborn:



Denethor, the Steward of Gondor:



Two versions of Eomer:


Eowyn:



Farmir:



Gandalf:




Ghân-buri-Ghân!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the above images appear in Lord of the Rings sauron and its expansions.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Most of the above images appear in Lord of the Rings sauron and its expansions.


Oh, I've had no idea he did also for that game, too.

Yeah, I've always wondered about that game. I didn't decide to jump in because it appears that after the 2010 "silver" edition they've decided to end with there and not reprint the expansions, which bring quite a lot into the game. And also the game's BGG rating (which, after seeing what the game's like through some YouTube playthroughs, am not quite sure I understand - with it being relatively low for a good game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
nickbolton wrote:
Most of the above images appear in Lord of the Rings sauron and its expansions.


Oh, I've had no idea he did also for that game, too.

Yeah, I've always wondered about that game. I didn't decide to jump in because it appears that after the 2010 "silver" edition they've decided to end with there and not reprint the expansions, which bring quite a lot into the game. And also the game's BGG rating (which, after seeing what the game's like through some YouTube playthroughs, am not quite sure I understand - with it being relatively low for a good game).


I think it's still a good game, although it's one of the early coops. If you're a Lord of the Rings fan, it's definitely worth getting. It also plays well solo, like most coops.

Don't get the current silverline edition (smaller, bad design choices and not compatible with the great expansions), but go for a second hand version of the original release along with the Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes expansion.

The original game, from 2000, can still be found quite cheaply and will give you a sense of how the game plays - although the expansions definitely improve it.

If you like it you can look for the rest of the expansions (now quite expensive), which are fun but make the game practically impossible to win (which is actually quite thematic).

As there is also a points system, which allows you to score each game, winning isn't essential.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:

Don't get the current silverline edition (smaller, bad design choices and not compatible with the great expansions),


Is it incompatible? Why?

I have the silverline edition and was looking for the Friends&Foes expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
John Howe's website is full of his wonderful work from calendars to book illustrations to game art: Portfolio
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

Don't get the current silverline edition (smaller, bad design choices and not compatible with the great expansions),


Is it incompatible? Why?

I have the silverline edition and was looking for the Friends&Foes expansion.


FFG changed the symbols used in the Silverline edition as well as the size of the game boards. There wouldn't be any room to add the stickers from F&F and it would be really difficult to do a translation of symbols between the games. The cards wouldn't match either.

I suspect FFG never intended to integrate the expansions, which is a shame as F&F seems like it should have always been part of the base game.

Ditch the Silverline and get the original version.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, Nick.

I might try to look for a good priced first edition AND Friends&Foes.

There's always room for one-more-LotR game in my shelf
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moria board is one of the best pieces of Middle Earth artwork you can get your hands on. I loved the game when I first bought it just from looking at that.

Definitely early coop, but enjoyable. Had never seen anything like it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.