Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Need some help picking a Klingon ship to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone, how’s it going? I’m going to apologise in advance because I’ve got a long post here that asks a bit of a weird question that requires some in-depth knowledge of certain Attack Wing ships. I posted this in the strategy section because it's mostly a strategy question, seeing as I'm asking about the power level of a set of ships compared to each other.

At the end of next month my store is going to be running The Search for Spock OP, which means that we’ll soon be doing The Voyage Home OP. I really want to win a copy of the HMS Bounty, but I have a slight problem in that if I do so I don’t currently own a single Klingon B’Rel, K’Vort, or Bird-of-Prey model, one of which I’d need to run the Bounty. Thus, if I do manage to acquire an HMS Bounty then I’m going to need to buy such a model and I’m know I’m putting the cart before the horse but I’d like advice on which one to buy since I don’t have a lot of experience with Klingon ships and I’d rather know what I should buy before I get to the situation where I need to buy it, should that situation actually happen. I’d like to get one that gives me the most power, whilst bearing in mind certain restrictions.

To begin with, it’s probably worth mentioning that my store runs penalty pure, so you can run any ships in your fleet but you can only run captains, admirals, and upgrades on them that don’t cause you to have to pay faction penalties (with a handful of exceptions). That means that any Klingon ship I buy would only be able to run any other Klingon upgrades I own, and vice versa. At this point in time, I only own four Klingon ships, and I’m not really planning on buying any more, as I already have a fairly large Federation fleet, a large Romulan fleet, and am looking to expand my Borg and Xindi fleets as I get the chance, and I don’t particularly want to start a fifth faction fleet. I currently own 2 copies of the IKS Maht-H’a (from the Starter set), 1 of the IKS Gr’oth, and 1 of the IKS Somraw.

As mentioned, my store runs penalty pure with a few exceptions. Those exceptions tend to be to allow story-related effects to happen that couldn’t otherwise under penalty pure rules. Things like allowing Khan Singh (from the retail USS Reliant) on the Federation USS Reliant (since he’d otherwise pay a penalty, making him invalid), running Rekar on the USS Prometheus with Romulan Hijackers, and letting a Klingon Worf be captain of the USS Defiant (seeing as there aren’t any Federation Worf captain cards). As a result of that last one, I would be very interested in picking up a Klingon ship that had a Worf captain card. I know that there are two that qualify, along with a crew Worf that can take over as the captain, so those are ones that I’m especially interested in.

Our store is also gearing up to do the Klingon Civil War when it releases, and due to having a large Romulan fleet I’m considering throwing in my lot with Duras, so the IKS Buruk with its Duras captain card is something I might be interested in as well.

So, with all that in mind, I’ve done some research into all of the ships I could buy that fulfil my criteria.

The IKS Ch’tang, Assimilated Vessel 80279/Korok’s Bird of Prey, the IKS Pagh, and the IKS Korinar are all OP ships, making it harder (and likely more expensive) for me to acquire. Having said that, the Assimilated Vessel could also be included in my Borg fleet, making it a more valuable acquisition for me than either of the others, but the model is also “borgified” making it a little less thematically useful for being the Bounty. The Pagh does come with a William T. Riker that I get to use in my Federation fleet, but I don’t think that’s a good enough reason alone to pick the Pagh over any of the others.

Chang’s Bird-of-Prey comes with its wings in a different position than the other models, which seems pretty cool, as well as being Chang’s “fire-while-cloaked” Bird of Prey, with a Chang captain card and the Prototype Cloaking Device. If I had to pick a ship because I felt it was the “coolest” (regardless of its tabletop usefulness) it would probably be this one.

The IKS Buruk comes with Duras, which is nice (even if I’m not a huge fan of his ability). I’m also not really sure how good the other cards in the pack are. It’s a blind booster, which means that its availability and cost will fluctuate, but it hopefully won’t be too bad compared to the earlier OP ships.

The IKS Koraga, the IKS Ning’tao, and the IKS Rotarran are all retail ships and all come with a Worf captain card (or a crew card that can also become a captain). The Rotarran also comes with a Federation Jadzia Dax, which is a nice little pick up for my Federation fleet. Of the two Worf captain cards, I’m not sure which one is generally considered better, but I do know that the Koraga’s Alexander crew card is pretty useful

tl;dr: So, all in all, I’m looking for advice on buying a single Klingon ship that is a Klingon B’Rel, K’Vort, or Bird-of-Prey class ship, works well with the IKS Maht-H’a, the IKS Gr’oth, and the IKS Somraw (and the cards that come with them) without buying further Klingon ships, and preferably has a Klingon Worf captain card or Duras captain card in it.

Can anyone help me out?

Regards,
MT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I don't think you can go wrong with Chang's BoP. I'm not sureit is the best, but it's extremely solid on its own, and works well with other Klingon ships and upgrades.

If you have better torpedoes(i.e. time token) you can shoot them off and remain cloaked, even from your rear arc, which means that Torpedoes are going to be more useful on that ship than most others—the trade-off in power will be mitigated by the continued access to cloak..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would totally have suggested the IKS Drovana, as it is an amazing ship and one of the best the Klingon's have (in my opinion), but it doesn't fit your requirements as it is a Vor'Cha class (like the Maht-H'a).

Another really nice ship is the IKS Ch'Tang (which you mentioned). Sadly it was a prize ship from the second month of the very first OP event (which makes it very difficult to come by these days). It came with some great upgrades though. Same goes for the Assimilated Vessel that you mentioned. It comes with less useful upgrades for Klingons, but nice that it can be used in both your Borg and Klingon fleets.

Of the easier to get ships that are out there, besides the IKS Drovana mentioned above, I would say that Chang's BoP is probably the best buy. You can't go wrong with the upgrades that come with it and, as you mentioned, the variation of the model makes it unique.

Check out my YouTube channel (Trueflights) I have a section for attack wing, where I unbox and review ever single ship that has come out fo rthe game and give my thoughts on their upgrades and how they will work in a faction pure environment (since that is what we play here). I have done videos for all of the ships that you are considering. They will at least tell you my thoughts on those ship[s and their upgrades in a similar meta environment to what you are planning on using them for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I D
Wales
flag msg tools
As above, Chang's Bird of Prey is a lovely little addition although long-term, the Drovana is a fantastic ship with some excellent cards.

Admiral Gowron and Detonation codes to name a couple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koraga - good ship, BoP model, Worf captain (amazing ability), good upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the Koraga or the Ning'Tao. Koraga comes with captain Worf who is a solid Klingon captain. Worf lets you reroll your blanks when attacking and does NOT cost an action to do. The Koraga is also a K'Vort class BoP, which isn't flashy but a solid 5 hull ship for 24-26 points.

Kor is the reason to get the Ning'Tao. Kor 8 is great for quality attacks, especially when paired with Drex or Nagaren. The Klingons also have plenty of cheap crew to pair with his ability. Kor 6 is better for defensive builds. Between the two of them you have some good options. There is also an admiral Martok and another Worf captian card in the pack. The Worf in this pack is not as good as the one from the Koraga, but it is a Worf captain if you wanted to be more economical with your purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Top picks:
- Ning'Tao (fun ship, the two copies of Kor are top Klingon captains)
- Chang's BoP (fun ship, Chang7 is a blast, unique model)

Special Mention:
- Rotarran (Worf and Leskit crew are pretty awesome).

Do not bother:
- Koraga (meh ship, Captain Worf is good but inferior to NuDaq, N'garen is a good crew)

Buruk and Pagh are worth getting, but will be more expensive as was mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Well, this is quite interesting. I posted this question on both Facebook and Reddit as well as here and the general consensus in both of those places is that the IKS Koraga was probably my best choice.

Dracomax wrote:
I don't think you can go wrong with Chang's BoP. I'm not sureit is the best, but it's extremely solid on its own, and works well with other Klingon ships and upgrades.

If you have better torpedoes(i.e. time token) you can shoot them off and remain cloaked, even from your rear arc, which means that Torpedoes are going to be more useful on that ship than most others—the trade-off in power will be mitigated by the continued access to cloak..

I'm a big fan of Chang's Bird-of-Prey. It does seem to come with some pretty powerful upgrades and I love the position of the model's wings. It's just a shame it doesn't come with a Worf...

Sadly, I don't have any other Klingon torpedo cards, other than the 3-cost, 4-dice ones in the Gr'oth and Somraw, and the 5-cost, 5-dice one in the Starter, so that's not really an option. I'd need to get the IKS T'Ong, the IKS Rotarran, or the IKS Amar for the Torpedoes you're talking about.

Ender02 wrote:
I would totally have suggested the IKS Drovana, as it is an amazing ship and one of the best the Klingon's have (in my opinion), but it doesn't fit your requirements as it is a Vor'Cha class (like the Maht-H'a).

Another really nice ship is the IKS Ch'Tang (which you mentioned). Sadly it was a prize ship from the second month of the very first OP event (which makes it very difficult to come by these days). It came with some great upgrades though. Same goes for the Assimilated Vessel that you mentioned. It comes with less useful upgrades for Klingons, but nice that it can be used in both your Borg and Klingon fleets.

Of the easier to get ships that are out there, besides the IKS Drovana mentioned above, I would say that Chang's BoP is probably the best buy. You can't go wrong with the upgrades that come with it and, as you mentioned, the variation of the model makes it unique.

Check out my YouTube channel (Trueflights) I have a section for attack wing, where I unbox and review ever single ship that has come out fo rthe game and give my thoughts on their upgrades and how they will work in a faction pure environment (since that is what we play here). I have done videos for all of the ships that you are considering. They will at least tell you my thoughts on those ship[s and their upgrades in a similar meta environment to what you are planning on using them for.

Yeah, unfortunately the Drovana is the wrong class, otherwise I would have loved to pick one up. It does seem like a pretty good ship.

I'd actually kind of written off the Ch'tang, because it's an early OP ship, but your comments made me go back and take a look at it and you're completely right: it's got some really good cards with it. The Assimilated Vessel would be really nice for my Borg fleet, but I reckon it'll be hard for me to get one at a reasonable price nowadays.

And, that's another vote for Chang's BOP. Thank you.

isd_blues wrote:
As above, Chang's Bird of Prey is a lovely little addition although long-term, the Drovana is a fantastic ship with some excellent cards.

Admiral Gowron and Detonation codes to name a couple.

If I ever decide to expand my Klingon fleet, the IKS Drovana will be my first choice.

And that's three votes for Chang

SMDMadCow wrote:
Koraga - good ship, BoP model, Worf captain (amazing ability), good upgrades.

The dissenting voice of reason (perhaps?). As mentioned, Facebook and Reddit suggest the Koraga for all of these reasons. Up until coming here, I'd been pretty set on getting the Koraga, but now I'm not so sure.

Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I would recommend the Koraga or the Ning'Tao. Koraga comes with captain Worf who is a solid Klingon captain. Worf lets you reroll your blanks when attacking and does NOT cost an action to do. The Koraga is also a K'Vort class BoP, which isn't flashy but a solid 5 hull ship for 24-26 points.

Kor is the reason to get the Ning'Tao. Kor 8 is great for quality attacks, especially when paired with Drex or Nagaren. The Klingons also have plenty of cheap crew to pair with his ability. Kor 6 is better for defensive builds. Between the two of them you have some good options. There is also an admiral Martok and another Worf captian card in the pack. The Worf in this pack is not as good as the one from the Koraga, but it is a Worf captain if you wanted to be more economical with your purchases.

This is one of the reasons why I fancied going for the Koraga: the Worf captain that comes in it gives a passive attack bonus, which seems to be quite a bit better than the Ning'tao's Worf captain's passive defence bonus (since that one also adds Auxiliary Power Tokens). The Ning'tao does seem like it's got a lot of power in it, so if I decide to expand my Klingons then it'll probably be my first or second ship (either before or after the Drovana).

Church14 wrote:
Top picks:
- Ning'Tao (fun ship, the two copies of Kor are top Klingon captains)
- Chang's BoP (fun ship, Chang7 is a blast, unique model)

Special Mention:
- Rotarran (Worf and Leskit crew are pretty awesome).

Do not bother:
- Koraga (meh ship, Captain Worf is good but inferior to NuDaq, N'garen is a good crew)

Buruk and Pagh are worth getting, but will be more expensive as was mentioned.

Interesting reviews. You're the first person to actually say that the Koraga Worf captain card isn't that good, and I really don't think that your comparison of that Worf to Nu'Daq is all that accurate (seeing as Worf gives a slightly less-than-Target Lock effect whereas Nu'Daq is the equivalent of a Battle Stations token that only works for one die), but I appreciate the thought.

Thanks everyone. You've... actually made things harder for me modest I was planning on getting the Koraga, but now I'm seriously rethinking that decision. Nonetheless, I really am grateful for everyone's response as any extra information and opinions I can gather will help me make a better informed decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and remember... jagh yIbuStaH
devil

We need a Klingon emoticon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koraga with captain Worf and Nagaren is a pretty solid ship for 33 points. The 5 hull of the K'Vort class plus Work and Ngaren usually lead to 3 hits an a crit. Makes for a decent 2nd or 3rd ship right out of the box.

On Chang's BoP, it comes with 2 five die torpedoes. With its ability you can stay cloaked and fire them 2 turns in a row with out having to recloak. If your venue doesn't retire resources High Yield Photons is a nice addition to it. Out of the box Prototype Cloaking Device is a good way to get rerolls on the torps, but if you can borrow one Standby Torpedoes from the Amar lets you use your TL for rerolls.

I wouldn't spend big $$ on the Pagh. Kargan is the biggest reason to gst it. He is good for Klingon action economy but the rest of the cards are on the meh side. Check around your local venue, you might find someone who has two and is willing to trade just the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Worf is not a TL, he rerolls blanks. If he rerolled BS results, he would be superior to Nudaq.

1 in 4 dice will be blank. 1/2 will be rerolled into a hit/crit. Works out to adding .125 damage per die. Nudaq will reliably add 1 one damage once you hit 4 dice.

Given other a erages and extreme rolls. Worf isn't better until you are throwing 7+.

If you toss out Worf, the only reason to buy Koraga is for Drex/Ngaren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Worf is not a TL, he rerolls blanks. If he rerolled BS results, he would be superior to Nudaq.

1 in 4 dice will be blank. 1/2 will be rerolled into a hit/crit. Works out to adding .125 damage per die. Nudaq will reliably add 1 one damage once you hit 4 dice.

Given other a erages and extreme rolls. Worf isn't better until you are throwing 7+.

Statistics don't always work out on the table top. Just as Worf only pays off when you roll blanks, Nudaq only pays off when you roll a BS, Neither is a guarantee. Worf + Nagaren is a larger investment but will land more damage. Plus it id more fun than the guy who thought he could headbutt Data

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
Koraga with captain Worf and Nagaren is a pretty solid ship for 33 points. The 5 hull of the K'Vort class plus Work and Ngaren usually lead to 3 hits an a crit. Makes for a decent 2nd or 3rd ship right out of the box.

On Chang's BoP, it comes with 2 five die torpedoes. With its ability you can stay cloaked and fire them 2 turns in a row with out having to recloak. If your venue doesn't retire resources High Yield Photons is a nice addition to it. Out of the box Prototype Cloaking Device is a good way to get rerolls on the torps, but if you can borrow one Standby Torpedoes from the Amar lets you use your TL for rerolls.

I wouldn't spend big $$ on the Pagh. Kargan is the biggest reason to gst it. He is good for Klingon action economy but the rest of the cards are on the meh side. Check around your local venue, you might find someone who has two and is willing to trade just the cards.

Thank you. Those are all useful insights.

Church14 wrote:

Please note that I never said he was a Target Lock, I said he was a "slightly-less-than-Target Lock". Also, whilst you are correct that Nu'Daq's Battle Stations conversion adds more damage in the long run (as opposed to whilst throwing exactly 4 dice, as that's a common misconception about probability), the fact that I want/need a Worf captain card kind of overrules that in my situation. It doesn't matter if Nu'Daq is superior to Koraga Worf, since if Koraga Worf is the best Worf of the three available (and I am of the opinion that he is) then that's what I'll be getting.

But I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you're coming down to Chang's BoP vs Koraga.

My take on Chang's is that while it can be fun to fly, it's an expensive as hell B'Rel with red 3 turns. If you're going to tie up that many points in one ship, just upgrade to a Vorcha - 3 hull with cloak is VERY prone to fickle green dice. I've seen one dance around 5 dice attacks like they weren't there, then die in 1 shot to a 3 dice attack at range 3. Also, it can't engage cloaked fleets well, if at all.

Koraga has Worf5, and with N'Garen on the attack you've got one of the best combos in the game. You can put them on any Klingon ship and just hit people like a truck. They also cut through cloaks very effectively.

As to Nu'Daq, he doesn't play well with other Klingon upgrades. While he may be better than Worf if they're alone, the second you add BS quality Worf leaves him in the dust. The only way Nu'Daq gets back to being close is with the Tactical Officer from the T'Ong and even then can only convert the 1 BS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
If you want a Worf card as a captain, Worf5 off the Koraga is the best version. I do actually think his crew version (+3 to Klingon captain skill) is the best Worf card in game.

I do acknowledge Drex/Worf as an awesome combo, but then you are comparing a 7SP investment to a 3

Last, I will admit Worf feels better to play. It is more satisfying to grab bad dice results and reroll them than to just flip a die to a hit. I'm a numbers guy though, so Nudaq is my preference (especially on the Ch'tang).

Either way, buy the expansion that will give you the most fun and mileage. The Koraga may be what works for you. I bought all the Klingon the expansions, so this question was never an issue for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.