Subject: Crystalline entity... Both shields and weapons or both rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
What destroys the system? Does they need an upgrade in both our just one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
tierdal wrote:
What destroys the system? Does they need an upgrade in both our just one?

The crystalline entity is what destroyed them. And both have to be upgraded at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Roy
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I would understand it that way myself, but the card text could be read the other way as well. There's a (currently) 111 reply thread arguing about this card on Facebook BGG group currently. I'm hoping an official FAQ will comment on it, or one of the authors would chime in on the forum to give a definitive clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it to be only one needs upgrading. And that Facebook thread is well over 400 comments and nowhere near resolution. I don't even play the game, I just want to know what the designers say about this card now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suran Boragan
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting here, hopefully it will get the attention of someone from GF9! My phone has blown up since posting that question on the Facebook page.

I was certain that both would be required when I posted that to silence the debate with my wife lol....but it seems to not be so clear, and I am now more confused lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
"If both your Weapons and Shields have not been upgraded, destroy all Ships in this System and destroy this System. Otherwise, discard this card. Tholians may ignore this card."

On first read I thought yeah thats clear that both have to be upgraded. But then trying to find what was unclear, I switched my opinion to you just need one of them upgraded. It's clearer to read it as, "If both your Weapons and Shields are at base values, then...." There's something about the negative that makes it seem the other way.

It's confusing enough though, that perhaps they intended both even though it doesn't actually say that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the text of the card says (in quite poor english) that both the weapons and the shield systems need to be in their unupgraded state for the bad thing to happen.

if gf9 means for the card to mean that both systems must be upgraded to avoid the bad thing, then they need to rephrase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davogotland wrote:
the text of the card says (in quite poor english) that both the weapons and the shield systems need to be in their unupgraded state for the bad thing to happen.

if gf9 means for the card to mean that both systems must be upgraded to avoid the bad thing, then they need to rephrase it.

actually, they should probably rephrase it either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timo rietzler
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
It's actually such a bad wording I guess it's for vulcans or androids on purpose.

The real problem is that you can't negate both nots and get the same outcome.

(A)
Let's say your 2 persons if your both 16 or under years you are forbidden to ride the rollercoaster.

So you got 4 combos:
16 and 16 = Forbidden
16 and 17 = Allowed
17 and 16 = Allowed
17 and 17 = Allowed

If you negate both, you don't get the same outcome.

(B)
If your both over 16, you ARE not forbidden to ride the rollercoaster:
16 and 16 = Forbidden
16 and 17 = Forbidden
17 and 16 = Forbidden
17 and 17 = allowed.

Some people read it like (A) and see 3 possibilities for the destruction event.

Other poeple see it like (B) where there is only 1 possibility. It's quite clear, it's like b.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one slider on your Command Console needs to be upgraded to prevent the Crystalline Entity from destroying all of the Ships and the System Disc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Roy
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Gale Force Nine wrote:
Only one slider on your Command Console needs to be upgraded to prevent the Crystalline Entity from destroying all of the Ships and the System Disc.

Thank you for an official answer! I do recommend this go into the FAQ if one ever comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the clarification.

Clearer (and equivalent) wording would have been

If neither your Weapons and Shields have been upgraded, destroy all Ships in this System and destroy this System. Otherwise, discard this card. Tholians may ignore this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.