11 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Redesigned Hero Dashboard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric B
msg tools
mbmb
So a few days ago CMON posted an update for Massive Darkness. They included a render of Chromatis, as well as an image of the re-designed hero dashboard that will accommodate story mode. While the new dashboard definitely looks better, I still think it is lacking in a few areas. I know a number of people have asked for the class sheets to be able to be used with the dashboard, so here is a quick mock up I came up with:

The class sheets would have holes where each ability is so you could mark them with a peg. The dashboard underneath would have dozens of holes to accommodate every class sheet. I moved the experience bar below everything to make it more like the Z:BP dashboards.

I think the biggest issue with this design is it's getting pretty big. The dashboard is literally twice the length it is now so it fits the class sheet. I think CMON could re-work the class sheets to condense them a bit and make the dash board much smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
deathleech wrote:
The class sheets would have holes where each ability is so you could mark them with a peg. The dashboard underneath would have dozens of holes to accommodate every class sheet.

How do you remember which ability you have acquired between two game sessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmb
You could leave the pegs in the dashboard, or mark them down on a separate piece of paper I suppose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would rather keep the current board. I'd rather not pay more for the extra plastic and extra weight for shipping for only a place to put the class sheet.

But if it wouldn't cost anything extra then this looks great besides the awkward numbering for health and xp. Seems like the tracks are reversed for these two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Rodda
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
You could leave the pegs in the dashboard, or mark them down on a separate piece of paper I suppose?

Like on some kind of class sheet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmb
deserteagle2525 wrote:
I would rather keep the current board. I'd rather not pay more for the extra plastic and extra weight for shipping for only a place to put the class sheet.

Ya, I understand that, especially with the game price already getting up there. I can't imagine the extra plastic would add a ton to the price though, especially if they took the time to minimize the character sheets. Plus it might be cheaper for us in the long run not having to print out our own sheets all the time or go laminate all the ones with the game.

zethnar wrote:
deathleech wrote:

Like on some kind of class sheet?

Funny, but no

I was thinking more like the stat sheets that come with other games such as Arcadia Quest. We know you are going to get equipment that crosses over and money, so these things will obviously need to be written down somewhere as well. I'd rather do this once at the end of every game than changing what abilities I have half dozen times during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
deathleech wrote:
We know you are going to get equipment that crosses over and money, so these things will obviously need to be written down somewhere as well.

I didn't see those rules yet, so not obvious to me (and if it happens, will only be for Story Mode, campaign mode has only xp to report on your class sheet).
deathleech wrote:
I'd rather do this once at the end of every game than changing what abilities I have half dozen times during the game.

You'll probably just have to check 3 or 4 boxes during the game (maybe 1 in Story Mode). And the class sheet is ready to play the next game session without setup required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmb
DummySphere wrote:
You'll probably just have to check 3 or 4 boxes during the game (maybe 1 in Story Mode). And the class sheet is ready to play the next game session without setup required.

Each class has 19 different abilities and levels, and 8 different paths. I seriously doubt you will only check 3 or 4 boxes most games. I am thinking more along the lines of 8-12 per game. Heck, just getting half of them puts you at 9.

Of course it depends on how many players are playing, how long the game lasts, and what abilities you choose, but ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Rodda
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in a non-story mode game the characters are supposed to persist across a number of adventures. You should only be getting three or four new abilities per game at most. Eight to Twelve is too fast and would completely negate the point of having persistent characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
deathleech wrote:

Ya, I understand that, especially with the game price already getting up there. I can't imagine the extra plastic would add a ton to the price though, especially if they took the time to minimize the character sheets. Plus it might be cheaper for us in the long run not having to print out our own sheets all the time or go laminate all the ones with the game.

What you mocked up would require a huge mold and probably a step up in press size to go with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.