Subject: Previous Backer Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Potluck Games

Utah
msg tools
publisher
badge
Hi, this poll is for backers of the original Epic Dice campaign (run in 2015). Please only respond if you were an initial backer.

I have a semi-hypothetical question for previous backers. I want to find out why we have a relatively low return rate so far. Basically, if it's possible to get more return backers, it could greatly increase the success of this campaign.

Here's the question. If all stretch goals were unlocked for the base game, would you be likely to back? This includes all goals on the project page up to $112,000, which is basically a box bursting with goodies. You can check out the project page link below if you need a refresher. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

http://kck.st/2bW0khn

Poll
If all of the base game stretch goals were unlocked, would you back?
I'm already backing.
I would definitely back if all of the SGs were reached.
I would be much more likely to back if the SGs were reached.
Sorry, I'm not likely to back this time.
      115 answers
Poll created by Potluck Games

You're welcome to leave feedback below. I believe that satisfying customers and creating great games is the best thing for all of us. So if there's some frustration with the new project, I'd like to know it. Your opinions help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, I'm the first...

It seems most people prefer to pour their money in one of these 300$++ miniature games currently.

Maybe you should consider plastic castles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Nolte
United States
Battle Ground
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your poll answers are limited. I get so many Kickstarter emails that I long ago lost track of which Kickstarters I did/didn't back. While I currently have a $1 pledge on the new Kickstarter, I see that it's $10 higher than the original one--and like I said, so many Kickstarter emails means that I haven't had the time to figure out what the differences in the original and old ones are...$50 is an easier decision than $60. Also, you haven't waited very long--I'm not sure why you expected to have all of your old backers return and pledge to the new one in the first couple of days--again, at a $10 increase over the original. I'm sure you have justified that somewhere in all the walls of texts in the emails, but you should keep in mind that it's something that will take most people a couple of weeks to work out why and decide whether they'll pledge again. Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, after backing all-in for the second Dungeon Dice campaign... I was seriously underwhelmed with the gameplay. What seemed like it might be fun was more of an exercise in frustration, too expensive for a beer and pretzels game but offering no real tactical or strategic choice in most situations.

The dice were great quality, the playmats and bags all fantastic... but the game is incredibly light and brutal dice chucking.

Quarriors hit the right notes for my dice hand. Good mix of strategy instead of feeling like I'm stuck on the first stage of a roguelike with my L1 self perpetually blocked by an army of L10 Ogres and stuff.

I'd thought about developing an alternate rule set, but my patience wore out and I sold it off.

Still, best of luck with your campaign!

Edit: Didn't realize there was a difference between Epic and Dungeon Dice, but those below have pointed this out. Prejudices as noted above... never thought to give it a second look, just had my dollar pledged for support.

Might give it a glance now, but I'm a bit timid, since the cash I laid out versus the return on it when I didn't care for it was reeeaally bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
msg tools
mb
We're talking Epic Dice, not Dungeon Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
Honestly, after backing all-in for the second campaign... I was seriously underwhelmed with the gameplay. What seemed like it might be fun was more of an exercise in frustration, too expensive for a beer and pretzels game but offering no real tactical or strategic choice in most situations.

The dice were great quality, the playmats and bags all fantastic... but the game is incredibly light and brutal dice chucking.

I think i saw you made an abilities guide, which might help ease some of the pain, but I was constantly flipping through the three little booklets trying to guess which one held the die I just drew.

Quarriors hit the right notes for my dice hand. Good mix of strategy instead of feeling like I'm stuck on the first stage of a roguelike with my L1 self perpetually blocked by an army of L10 Ogres and stuff.

I'd thought about developing an alternate rule set, but my patience wore out and I sold it off.

Wrong game maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KhaosTheory wrote:
We're talking Epic Dice, not Dungeon Dice.

Quite right. Edited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potluck Games

Utah
msg tools
publisher
badge
NickDiesel wrote:
Your poll answers are limited. I get so many Kickstarter emails that I long ago lost track of which Kickstarters I did/didn't back. While I currently have a $1 pledge on the new Kickstarter, I see that it's $10 higher than the original one--and like I said, so many Kickstarter emails means that I haven't had the time to figure out what the differences in the original and old ones are...$50 is an easier decision than $60. Also, you haven't waited very long--I'm not sure why you expected to have all of your old backers return and pledge to the new one in the first couple of days--again, at a $10 increase over the original. I'm sure you have justified that somewhere in all the walls of texts in the emails, but you should keep in mind that it's something that will take most people a couple of weeks to work out why and decide whether they'll pledge again. Just my 2 cents.

Wishful thinking, I guess. On relaunches in the past, I have been surprised with how quickly people reback.

Regardless, I'm mostly interested in gathering information. The poll is designed exclusively to help me gauge how many backers are waiting for stretch goals to be hit. If I can estimate how many backers intend to back eventually, it will help me make some projections.

I tried to word it in a way that wouldn't make anyone feel pressured or judged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Funk
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the money at the time I backed the first one, this one hit when I am lacking funds. I still think this can be an entertaining game. Maybe by the end of the campaign I'll be able to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed again, but the shipping to Australia is killing it for me (I've never paid more that $20 to ship to Australia, as a rule i usually don't pay more that $15). That there is no real "combined shipping" (ie it is just as economical to back a second time as back together), and backing the expansion would cost even more in shipping than I pay for some expansions...

This game is expensive. I'm paying about $90US for a casual game with very little depth. I like the game, I've built my own set during the previous KS, and it's a good quick game. But the cost of shipping and the expansion means I won't be getting that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potluck Games

Utah
msg tools
publisher
badge
Extra games to Australia are $14 cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arber
United States
Depew
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the funding didn't go as fast because there were no Add-Ons without hitting a stretch goal. Having the witching hour, game mats and 2-player add-ons as stretch goal add-ons instead of just add-ons didn't allow for the backers to back more right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One attacked each other in this game too or not?

I don't really remember the difference of the games.

I've always found them adorable from a dice design perspective and I may have "backed" all of them but then withdrawn later. I haven't "backed" this one so far.

My problem with the games is that they seem very simplistic and random, at-least the one I've checked the most, and it's very expensive and now the USD is almost 8.6 SEK whereas it was 6.3 SEK for some time so that make it even more expensive for me. If I didn't back before .. Well. You get the point =P

I think the games are totally adorable though and they are the Kickstarters are so fun to follow with all the creatures and their effects!

I totally dig and appreciate your creativity and ideas! I don't know if the basic game design is good enough but all the content created are really amazing!

It's mostly just kinda expensive for a small "joke"/filler style game.

I'm very interested in the "One night werewolf" and "Ultimate werewolf" games but the situation is the same there - the whole package cost $350 + like $75 shipping + VAT + fee for handling the VAT. I totally like traitor games with roles and secrets and stuff and I would likely think Werewolf was very fun (I haven't played it) and maybe also One night werewolf (depending on if I thought the information was good enough or whatever it was too random. But like the 16 art packs will not contribute at all to the game content, neither will the wooden box, neither will the plastic tokens, and the expansions may not do that all that much either. I'm sure it become somewhat better (on the other hand if the expansions wasn't like four games but there was just one box with all the cards imagine how much cheaper it could had been!)
Is it an experience worth $400-500 for me? Cthulu wars at $700 starts to look like a bargain .. ;D

Guess I feel like $100 at most is the comfortable point for a complete set of Ultimate werewolf.. say maybe $250 for both (but do I need both experiences? Do I need one night ultimate .. ?), but almost 500?

Sadly he have no combined cheaper packages without all the swag. Either you buy separately or you get a discount but with lots of expensive stuff (like $200 of content) you don't really need.

Your game could be made with D6 dice and cards which told what each roll meant and what character you drew could instead had been shown with a card draw, that would had made it much cheaper to produce and still have the same game system. It would of course lose the iconography and it would likely had been less popular due to if compared with other card and dice games then maybe there wouldn't be much there / be a good game. The main attraction of the game _IS_ to have a whole lot of those adorable dice!! In this game the components kinda is the main attraction =P, what would be called "over produced" for some other games.

So yeah, it's totally adorable and you're bloody awesome for having made it and I totally want to roll those bags of dice but at-least the other one is kinda rich on the economical front and I don't know if the actual game-play hold up relative the price. But it's adorable and clever!!

Edit: Will I back? I don't know. I haven't checked what it cost and don't remember how this one differed from the other one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pedrofunke wrote:
I had the money at the time I backed the first one, this one hit when I am lacking funds. I still think this can be an entertaining game.

Ditto. I won't be backing this time around. It's not in the budget.

Also, I spent A LOT of time making the pnp for 2 players after the previous KS got cancelled. We have yet to try it. I'd be more inclined to purchase later after I actually get it to the table and if I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider it but shipping and price are very expensivr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm already backing, BUT...

I backed "nearly all in" (i pay $9 more than last time, but then i had 6 premium mats included, which i'll let slip this time) hoping for reaching as far as possible. I don't think i will keep my pledge if things aren't going well.

I don't know how many backers you had from overseas last time, but speaking for me here in Germany, it's not only that i pay some $$ more for the game, it's also that i get less $$ now for my €€ than last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to back, but I'm in a bit of a tight financial spot at the moment... yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey

Cartersville
Georgia
msg tools
Your issue I think, is timing, originally when you laubched, it was tax season. Now it's close to the holidays.

Try using that fact as an advantage, instruct your backers and remind them that the holidays are just around the corner.

Also September is the slowest month for most, retail and service businesses.

Your doing everything right, just at a harder time. Don't let that scare you off, it just means that you need to advertise a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashten Kawabe
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
Honestly, after backing all-in for the second Dungeon Dice campaign... I was seriously underwhelmed with the gameplay. What seemed like it might be fun was more of an exercise in frustration, too expensive for a beer and pretzels game but offering no real tactical or strategic choice in most situations.

Edit: Didn't realize there was a difference between Epic and Dungeon Dice, but those below have pointed this out. Prejudices as noted above... never thought to give it a second look, just had my dollar pledged for support.

Might give it a glance now, but I'm a bit timid, since the cash I laid out versus the return on it when I didn't care for it was reeeaally bad.

I have to kind of agree with eypyeash here. I got Dungeon dice (the original project) and I was a bit over whelmed. Honestly this is my thought I played the original game about 6-10 times. The first few times was fairly enjoyable with a lot of tense moments. As I progressed though the gaming sessions the law of dice averages kicked it and it became more tedious while drawing larger monsters at lower levels and failed dice rolls. The game then became what seemed very luck based and no real way to "catch up" to the lead. This is where in lies my hesitation with backing again.

Now for the issue I think is happening. As I go back to when this campaign was first released it was somewhere last year Marchish because it was canceled in March 4th 2015, I cant remember why at this point. BUT, I also look back at when I got my copy of Dungeon Dice Guilds which was in Mayish 2015, 2 months after the Epic Dice TowerD was canceled. I think it is possible that most people backed the original Epic Dice TowerD before they got their Dungeon Dice. When they got their Dungeon Dice they ran into the same issues that Eypyeash and myself ran into and were more timid about backing a 2nd time. This is my insight.

How to get people to back again? That I think you are going to have to do by changing the mechanics of the game. I looked the the first campaign and the 2nd at the game play video is the same. I have played many TowerDs in my life stemming from those on Star Craft mod games to most recently Clash Royal. I can tell you that at the time last year a towerD game sounded pretty cool, but when I go back and look at the rules this time around... sadly I feel this is lacking some depth. Why is there random dice rolling for tower levels? Where is my variable tower effects, that were a SG in the last run of the game? I dont know if having more monsters as SGs is very helpful. In the play video one troll dice instant killed 2 towers! Where is my troll proof tower? I think that maybe spending time to rework the mechanics instead of adding more into the game would help to bring backers back. I backed again this time, but wasnt able take a in depth look till now. I might back again but my main concern is the mechanics which offer mainly luck of the dice rolling as any mechanic. Try adding cards with variable powers or player powers. Dont make everyone the same. I hope this helps. Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Funk
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I am still unable to purchase Epic Dice Tower Defense at this time. :( Everyone who is getting it, I hope you have fun with it when it comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pedrofunke wrote:
Sadly I am still unable to purchase Epic Dice Tower Defense at this time. Everyone who is getting it, I hope you have fun with it when it comes.

The campaign page says that we can still add funds until November 29th and that they will still go to SGs (at least, to the Slimes). Maybe you can still get in a bit down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.