GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,704 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: A few newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ara Bulbulian
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just started playing this game and I'm very excited about learning combat mechanics and other cool aspects of the game. Haven't done much more than the Poland attack, but it's given me a good grasp on the operational phase. For the main event campaign I'm curious on what the Germans should focus on after a successful conquering of Poland in Sept 39? Do they try and attack other minors.. Yug, Denmark, and Norway? The weather seems like it might make these a tough go until spring? A few other questions:

- after the conquest of Poland since east Poland is still considered part of Poland the Axis can put a pro-faction marker in Hungary or Romania?

- when do Axis players try and take Norway and a Sept conquest of Poland?

- if you use your Axis surprise event again Norway in early 1940 do players try and get it back before attacking the Soviets? It would seem hard to get it back in time for France (20pp and 4 turn delay)?

- if the Axis player doesn't want to use a convoy to supply a unit in say Oslo, does that mean it can stay in low supply each turn, since there's a factory in Oslo? Low supply units never suffer anything more than a combat DRM (and can't be replaced/upgraded)?

- air and naval units never are never actually destroyed (removed from the map), just stay ineffective if at 6 sorties? Excluding a collapse or conquest process.

Know I will have more questions as I play on in the campaign. Any other relevant Axis campaign tips are much appreciated!!

Thanks
AB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abulbulian wrote:
- after the conquest of Poland since east Poland is still considered part of Poland the Axis can put a pro-faction marker in Hungary or Romania?

Correct.

Quote:
- when do Axis players try and take Norway and a Sept conquest of Poland?

I've been ignoring Norway for my last few games and trying to keep my conquered countries count down. Otherwise, Norway when the weather permits.

Quote:
- if you use your Axis surprise event again Norway in early 1940 do players try and get it back before attacking the Soviets? It would seem hard to get it back in time for France (20pp and 4 turn delay)?

I'm usually frantically rebuilding air units and spending for diplomatic chits, so I won't rebuy the surprise chit until I can afford to (usually during a really crappy Winter).

Quote:
- if the Axis player doesn't want to use a convoy to supply a unit in say Oslo, does that mean it can stay in low supply each turn, since there's a factory in Oslo? Low supply units never suffer anything more than a combat DRM (and can't be replaced/upgraded)?

That has been my strategy. Limited supply is just fine... until it's not.

Quote:
- air and naval units never are never actually destroyed (removed from the map), just stay ineffective if at 6 sorties? Excluding a collapse or conquest process.

Yes, but keeping them at low sorties is critical, especially for the Germans (and the western allies as well).

Quote:
Know I will have more questions as I play on in the campaign. Any other relevant Axis campaign tips are much appreciated!!

Enjoy... I really love the system, especially as it works amazingly well as a solitaire game.

Regards,
Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far. I hope you continue to do so.

abulbulian wrote:

They are not eliminated from combat. Besides collapse, they can be voluntarily eliminated in the No Supply Phase. They can also be eliminated if they are forced to move due to Air/Naval Displacement and have nowhere they can legally move to.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

many of your questions have no one right answer, but here's my two cents.

abulbulian wrote:
what the Germans should focus on after a successful conquering of Poland in Sept 39?

The game is pretty good about leaving the large-scale strategy up to you. Here are a few things to consider from a gamey perspective:

-Most minors can quite easily be conquered during the winter months. The strat war penalty against Soviets is very important, so it's a balance between diplomatic bonuses gained from conquest and that penalty. Decide if you want 6 or 9 conquered countries (I guess 3 is also possible, but haven't tried that) and stick with the plan. If 9, make them count. One such plan is to go for Bulgaria to try and ally with Turkey, which has a huge influence, but it's a bit risky.

-Instead of the historical plan, the game also supports going straight to Russia or going to France already in '39 and Russia '40, trying to ally with Poland, and probably other strategy variants.

-Italy is naturally quite important. Conquering a minor lets you remove any random Pro-Allied chit there, so keep a minor or two ready to be conquered in the beginning. Don't activate Italy too much before France falls though, or their navy will wreck Italy's.

-For me the strat bonus from Norway is usually pretty much the best thing to do before France. Keeping the plane there is not usually a huge cost since it counts for home defence so it would be idle anyway. You can also rotate planes so that those that have a lot of sorties go to Norway until they are repaired. This means you need to use the convoy to keep it supplied there, but usually it has nothing else to do anyway. Any army you leave to Norway can be kept in low supply unless the Allies try to help Norway.

-It's often worth delaying West invaded and East invaded as much as possible, so it's typical to attack France/Russia on the first good weather turn of a year. Some players have reported success with attacking France already in '39 and fighting through the winter, though.

-I would definitely try to buy back the surprise attack before Russia during some otherwise silent winter month. Probably too late for you, but it's also possible to take Denmark on the first turn and Norway on the second, and you get the surprise attack back in time for France.

Quote:
after the conquest of Poland since east Poland is still considered part of Poland the Axis can put a pro-faction marker in Hungary or Romania?

Yes, they can.

Quote:
air and naval units never are never actually destroyed (removed from the map), just stay ineffective if at 6 sorties? Excluding a collapse or conquest process.

You can almost consider a 6 sortie unit as good as/worse than destroyed, since building a new one at 4 sorties costs the same as repairing it, but you can often build it in a better position. It's not uncommon to voluntarily eliminate 6 sortie units in a bad position and build them back elsewhere. Otherwise the enemy can even hold them locked there by air striking them every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemou wrote:
You can almost consider a 6 sortie unit as good as/worse than destroyed, since building a new one at 4 sorties costs the same as repairing it, but you can often build it in a better position. It's not uncommon to voluntarily eliminate 6 sortie units in a bad position and build them back elsewhere. Otherwise the enemy can even hold them locked there by air striking them every turn.

Good point. I'd not considered that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.