$30.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Wishful thinking: "Scythe-like" player race mats as cube tray alternatives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I just got my copy of Scythe and I cannot help appreciating the quality of the player mats.

I think that there would be a market for player race mats done in such think cardboard with receded spots type of mats, in order to reduce cost a design of the cut for the top layer (the one with the holes) could be done that fits all races so same cut for all player mats.

I have my cube trays but the receded cardboard still feels much better, and if you can price the pack below 30€ it can compete very well with them.

If Lautapelit is not up for it, I don't know if it would even be legal for a third party to create those (I'm ok if they were "forced to change the art" as a 3rd party wouldn't have the rights...) I know that might even be a plus for some...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
I just ordered the acrylic resource trays:

https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Token-Eclipse-Resource-Trays/d...

I have used them with someones set and they work pretty well. They don't do the action disks, but you wind up moving them all the time anyway so it could just get in the way more than help if the disks were involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
As I said in my post, I have those and they work fine but the cardboard would be so much better...

I am aware that the mats are double sided which makes it harder but still... :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
You should live in the UK...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-Token-Eclipse-Resource-Botto...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Lol! 70 Quid for 3 trays... Thats crazy... For that money you get 6 of the bigger ones that include the discs plus 3 micro expansions directly from lautapelit with shipping.

3 micros = 15€
6 big trays = 27€
Shipping to the UK = 25€
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
M0ebius wrote:
If Lautapelit is not up for it, I don't know if it would even be legal for a third party to create those

If Lautapelit doesn't want to produce them themselves, a third party could ask for a licence.

I don't know if I would be waiting in line to buy these player mats. My cube trays are also used to store the cubes in-between games, so that set-up becomes a matter of placing the tray on the mat. I really like that, and don't think that a thick player mat with recessed places is better for me.

Plus, the box, containing the base game plus two big expansions, hardly closes as it is. Thicker player mats for - how much now? Twelve? - races will make raise the lid further.

And then there are the fan-created races. At the moment you can print play mats for them that look like having the same quality as the official ones. With thicker, official playmate that will be more difficult. A question of aesthetics, but for me a reason to stay with the current mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I have to agree with that, the current setup makes it easier for custom races...

Also it would be bulkier to keep but in the end it might be just a matter of personal preference. The cardboard would also allow to use dials instead of the hexagonal meeples to keep track of material totals in the bank so it could offer some other values...

Maybe it could be stuff for that deluxe edition that will never be made...

Btw what trays do you use that you can also store the cubes in?

Mine are the most basic ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Double layered cardboard player mats. I like it.

Also, the main issue I have with the player mats for Eclipse, is the resource markers. It's very easy to knock a player mat, and have the resource markers move, and then the player doesn't know where the marker has moved from. Anyone else notice this problem, any solutions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
cosmic4z wrote:

Also, the main issue I have with the player mats for Eclipse, is the resource markers. It's very easy to knock a player mat, and have the resource markers move, and then the player doesn't know where the marker has moved from. Anyone else notice this problem, any solutions?

Happens to me too... Ideal solution would be dials... (Like in bs galactic a or scythe battle dials) Maybe there is something else that could be repurposed that has 3 (now 4) different markers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought the same thing when I played Scythe. Seems like it should be pretty easy to do for Eclipse as well.

Would be nice to have a cheaper solution rather than the acrylic trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Yegiazaryan
Russia
Yekaterinburg
Sverdlovsk region
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colored clips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
M0ebius wrote:
Btw what trays do you use that you can also store the cubes in?

Mine are the most basic ones...

Two-layered acrylic. Top layer has holes for the cubes, bottom layer prevents them from failing through.
I bundle them in packs of three in my box, with an extra top layer and held together by rubber bands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M0ebius wrote:
cosmic4z wrote:

Happens to me too... Ideal solution would be dials... (Like in bs galactic a or scythe battle dials) Maybe there is something else that could be repurposed that has 3 (now 4) different markers...

Dials just like those in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Gamewould be fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wiant
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M0ebius wrote:

I think dials are a great idea!

I just finished making some for Shadows of Brimstone. I'll have to see about making some Eclipse-specific ones....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I would love to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.