Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To help avoid any confusion with
(i) Radio operators not hearing the opponent Captains headings
And
(ii) Engineers and First Mates losing track of whether they have taken their action for every movement.

I recommend that the Captain precede each heading with a sequence number starting at 1.

For example, "1 Head North", "2 Head West" etc.
The Engineer and First Mate then write 1 on their sheets and each confirm "OK 1" before the Captain continues.

It can help clarify a number of mistakes in the middle of the chase.

A radio operator knows immediately if they have missed a heading from the other team's Captain, and can correct that before it seriously affects the game.

The engineer also has an audit trail of the directions the Captain has stated. This can help clarify any errors in the direction that the Captain commanded if they differ to what Captain wrote down. This is especially useful for the directionally challenged who have to rely on "Never Eat Shredded Wheat".

All in all, it's a good checking mechanism that hardly demands any extra effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hammer
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great idea! I'm going to suggest it tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. To me the difficulty in following what the other team's captain is saying is an essential part of the game. Things DO get pretty tricky when you're not sure if you missed a move or not. I wouldn't want to take that out of the game. It would dumb it down imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Bolinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A house rule we have implemented at our game nights is as follows:

- Every time a "STOP" action is called
- Both Captains must say their last heading and how many times that heading was said consecutively.
- Example: North - 3 or East - 1 or East - 8

This allows the radio operator, engineer and first mate know what heading was last transmitted and executed.

This has helped reduce confusion.

-Clinton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbolinger wrote:
A house rule we have implemented at our game nights is as follows:

- Every time a "STOP" action is called
- Both Captains must say their last heading and how many times that heading was said consecutively.
- Example: North - 3 or East - 1 or East - 8

This allows the radio operator, engineer and first mate know what heading was last transmitted and executed.

This has helped reduce confusion.

-Clinton

Awesome rule!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's part of the fun of the game as the radio operator though.

An impatient captain calling out an order too soon seems to be the mistake I see happen the most. That does confuse the radio operator since he may not know that was a mistake.

I would suggest to keep that from happening to create a piece of paper with two check boxes and laminate it. The captain calls a heading and hands that to the first mate. The first mate sets it down between him and the engineer. They both do their thing. When done they check off the box. Once both boxes have been checked off the first mate gives it back to the captain. The captain erases and gives out another order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
That's part of the fun of the game as the radio operator though.

An impatient captain calling out an order too soon seems to be the mistake I see happen the most. That does confuse the radio operator since he may not know that was a mistake.

I would suggest to keep that from happening to create a piece of paper with two check boxes and laminate it. The captain calls a heading and hands that to the first mate. The first mate sets it down between him and the engineer. They both do their thing. When done they check off the box. Once both boxes have been checked off the first mate gives it back to the captain. The captain erases and gives out another order.

After playing a few times last night we were trying to find a solution for quiet or impatient captains. It's tense and you tend to want to just yell NORTH NORTH EAST without waiting for ok's from your crew.
This idea (of having a memo style checklist for the 1st mate and Engineer) is PERFECT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee K.
msg tools
No, No, and a thousand times no! The possibility and probability that the Radio Operator is going to miss something is an inherent part of the simulation, as much as running silent and surfacing are tools for evasion and vulnerability.

As for the interaction between the Captain, First Mate, and Engineer, the Captain may not issue a new order until he has verified that his other officers have completed their tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lmkedm wrote:
No, No, and a thousand times no! The possibility and probability that the Radio Operator is going to miss something is an inherent part of the simulation, as much as running silent and surfacing are tools for evasion and vulnerability.

As for the interaction between the Captain, First Mate, and Engineer, the Captain may not issue a new order until he has verified that his other officers have completed their tasks.

..you seem to forget that if the captain messed up it has the same consequences (but for the opposing team). If the captain shouts out an order just as the opposing team pauses, you really need to know if that one "went through" or not. If the captain says north north, you really need to know if this was intended or a mistake saying it twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.