Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Opinions about getting into this game only for Solo play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Maddux
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am looking to purchase Runebound (Third Edition) exclusively for solo play. I had read some of the earlier forums when the game was first released about people's experiences with solo play. It seems that a lot of people felt the Margath the Dragonlord scenario was perhaps too easy, and the Vorakesh scenario was pretty much impossible as it did not scale well for a solo play experience. Has anything changed? Has there been a new Hero or strategy or a perhaps good variant to make the Vorakesh scenario more balanced for solo play.

Now that there has been 2 new expansions adding new scenarios, what are your experiences with those scenarios in solo play? I understand the caught in a web scenario requires you to keep the 4 cities from being overtaken, forcing you to travel all over the board. That does not sound like it would scale well for a solo game. Also, the newest release requires a player vs. player combat to end the game, that is obviously not ideal for trying to play this game solo.

In your opinion will this game always require certain "adjustments" to the scenario or rules to make it a satisfactory solo gaming experience?

I'm still on the fence as to whether buy into this game as a solo gamer, just looking for some help on what direction I should go in.

Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no fundamental obstacle to creating good rules for solo play, but I don't think they currently exist; you would have to either create them yourself, or count on some fans to do it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy an Xbox myself.

That said, it's a fun game. It's ok to solo, but I'm not much into soloing board games. It's no less fun than 2e Runebound to solo, at least.

Eldritch Horror and Mansions of Madness would be better solo experiences. Descent might even edge this out too, as soon as Road to Legend adds another full campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game solo for a couple of times and it's very good and well playable. The latest official FAQ or Erata, clearly states that is possible to play solo, if you ignore Corbin co-op abilities and some other cards/effects.
However, you can buy and really enjoy the base game for many solo plays and just simply ignore the expansions, because they weren't designed for us, the solo players. Just pretend that this game has no expansions at all and play the base game only.
After Mage Knight, Dungeon Run and Legends of Andor, this is my next favorite solo board game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Autieri
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I say what's on my mind, that's why I'm silent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game three or four times as a solo player. I've only played the base game and then only the Margath scenario. I think the real fun of this game is in the journey and exploration, and not necessarily "winning" the scenario.

I've not tried playing two characters at once, but that would be easy to do. I've also played the game with other people and it's more of just a race to then end anyway, at least in the Margath scenario. The only "interference" another player created for me was grabbing exploration areas before I could get there.

If you are only going to play it solo, I think this game is still a solid purchase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Cumba Simal
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 2nd edition is better to be played solo (the combat dice is more easy than choising disks) and with a lot of material and characters. I have both of them and without doubts 3rd is better with friends and 2nd soloing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Maddux
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Everyone!

This gives me a lot to think about. I don't get to play a lot of the games I want to play with my gaming friends, so I'm always looking for good solo games. I'm leaning toward at least getting the base game as I'm sure it provides a lot of replay value by itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pttgc wrote:
I think 2nd edition is better to be played solo (the combat dice is more easy than choising disks) and with a lot of material and characters. I have both of them and without doubts 3rd is better with friends and 2nd soloing.


well just to give another opinion i think 3rd edition is better for solo if you are happy to play the combat tokens for both sides - i dont find it hard at all to work out the optimum enemy moves with the tokens.

the main reason i say 3rd edition is best is that with 2nd edition you just keep going building up your stats until you know you are going to win. 3rd edition is a tighter game with a track timing down that means every decision becomes more important. i just get no excitement from 2nd edition in that i knew i would win in the end if i played long enough.

finally the storylines feel so much more full and engaging in 3rd edition and are part of the game unfolding as you play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crusaderlord wrote:

the main reason i say 3rd edition is best is that with 2nd edition you just keep going building up your stats until you know you are going to win. 3rd edition is a tighter game with a track timing down that means every decision becomes more important. i just get no excitement from 2nd edition in that i knew i would win in the end if i played long enough.


That's not how people solo 2e, they use the threat track to implement a timer, same as in 3e in a general sense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Skeletor had an awesome variant for solo play in 2nd edition. That being said, I have really enjoyed the 3rd edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I always play games solo.
Runebound 3e works quite well for me, specifically the margath scenario. As said in an earlier post by someone, I more enjoy the journey even though I've only lost it once out of about 6 attempts. I think it's quite a fun game and the token combat system I find is quite easy after the first couple of goes in determining the best move for the AI.
Unfortunately, I don't have the expansions and I am also keen in obtaining some of them. I agree the fall of a dark star does not sound solo friendly but interested in the other 3 expansions. Hoping someone can explain here their thoughts on the expansions
Vorakesh yet to win solo, got close once playing as 2 characters so I think it is doable with 2.
Great game for me that seems to take an hour to hour and half. I tend to use a rule to refresh the shop after the first act if playing solo (also tried only flipping gems once an act aswell).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cranky_hobbit wrote:
I always play games solo.
Runebound 3e works quite well for me, specifically the margath scenario. As said in an earlier post by someone, I more enjoy the journey even though I've only lost it once out of about 6 attempts. I think it's quite a fun game and the token combat system I find is quite easy after the first couple of goes in determining the best move for the AI.
Unfortunately, I don't have the expansions and I am also keen in obtaining some of them. I agree the fall of a dark star does not sound solo friendly but interested in the other 3 expansions. Hoping someone can explain here their thoughts on the expansions
Vorakesh yet to win solo, got close once playing as 2 characters so I think it is doable with 2.
Great game for me that seems to take an hour to hour and half. I tend to use a rule to refresh the shop after the first act if playing solo (also tried only flipping gems once an act aswell).

Agreed! I play solo only for Runebound 3E, in fact I only play all my games solo, group play just isn't my thing so I can say this game is great solo only just need to setup some easy simulation rules for the enemy and you're done, I use this: Monster Decision System

Though I attempted to get 2E, but as I'm OCD and not living in the US, getting a full 2E collection was just too hard. Loving 3E so far though! Updated components, plus the tokens I like more than dice as each item adds a different token, would love for them to come out with a plastic version of them separate to the core game along with perhaps a 3E token app to simulate the enemy or another player perhaps meeple

As for expansions, I've got first 2, haven't played them but my impressions just from components is that the character packs add a little more content to the base game vs the scenario pack.

Scenario packs just adds content for that scenario + 1 hero
Character packs adds content to each of the adventure decks (social, combat & quest) that can be used in any scenario + 1 hero + more assets/skills
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
crusaderlord wrote:



That's not how people solo 2e, they use the threat track to implement a timer, same as in 3e in a general sense.


Yes i did have that 2nd edition threat track but it is now nicely integrated into the game board in the 3rd edition and it also triggers excellent story cards which change depending on the scenario and will pop out to pull you into the game. It is just much better designed. I sold my 2nd edition, but i didn't have loads of expansions so i understand why people may want to stick with it.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
AndrewAU wrote:
cranky_hobbit wrote:
I always play games solo.
Runebound 3e works quite well for me, specifically the margath scenario. As said in an earlier post by someone, I more enjoy the journey even though I've only lost it once out of about 6 attempts. I think it's quite a fun game and the token combat system I find is quite easy after the first couple of goes in determining the best move for the AI.
Unfortunately, I don't have the expansions and I am also keen in obtaining some of them. I agree the fall of a dark star does not sound solo friendly but interested in the other 3 expansions. Hoping someone can explain here their thoughts on the expansions
Vorakesh yet to win solo, got close once playing as 2 characters so I think it is doable with 2.
Great game for me that seems to take an hour to hour and half. I tend to use a rule to refresh the shop after the first act if playing solo (also tried only flipping gems once an act aswell).

Agreed! I play solo only for Runebound 3E, in fact I only play all my games solo, group play just isn't my thing so I can say this game is great solo only just need to setup some easy simulation rules for the enemy and you're done, I use this: Monster Decision System

Though I attempted to get 2E, but as I'm OCD and not living in the US, getting a full 2E collection was just too hard. Loving 3E so far though! Updated components, plus the tokens I like more than dice as each item adds a different token, would love for them to come out with a plastic version of them separate to the core game along with perhaps a 3E token app to simulate the enemy or another player perhaps meeple

As for expansions, I've got first 2, haven't played them but my impressions just from components is that the character packs add a little more content to the base game vs the scenario pack.

Scenario packs just adds content for that scenario + 1 hero
Character packs adds content to each of the adventure decks (social, combat & quest) that can be used in any scenario + 1 hero + more assets/skills


Hey Andrew! Just a quick one. for Australia where did you find the first 2 expansions - gilded blade and caught in a web?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cranky_hobbit wrote:
Hey Andrew! Just a quick one. for Australia where did you find the first 2 expansions - gilded blade and caught in a web?

Found them on a US trip to Las Vegas last week laugh I think Australia will be waiting the usual 2-3 months before they arrive here

Though if you intend to import them I'd suggest either using Shipito or Miniature Market has really good rates for small items, they haven't appeared on Amazon yet unfortunately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crusaderlord wrote:

Yes i did have that 2nd edition threat track but it is now nicely integrated into the game board in the 3rd edition and it also triggers excellent story cards which change depending on the scenario and will pop out to pull you into the game.


We'll have to agree to disagree that it adds much, I don't think the timer in 3e is any more thematic than the dice rolling threat track in 2e. I just find 2e to be better to solo in basically every respect.

crusaderlord wrote:

I sold my 2nd edition, but i didn't have loads of expansions so i understand why people may want to stick with it.


I have an almost complete set and am very happy I kept it for solo play, and I agree that having expansions makes a big difference in extending the life of 2e.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A better question is if this game supports more than one player. Because this game plays better solo. There is very little interaction between layers. I played this game multiple times solo. Loved it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this solo at least a half dozen times, split between playing two characters and three characters (and I may have done it once with four characters). When playing with other, real people, I prefer this as a two-player game, though I can be talked into three-player if everyone is enthusiastic. I shudder at the thought of a four-player game.


Playing the PVP scenario with multi-character solo play is no different (IMO) than running a combat between a single character and a monster. The only PVP part (I think) is at the end of the scenario, when there's a big free-for-all to see who's top dog.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.