$20.00
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been a big fan of the design of the COIN games since I first saw Fire in the Lake a few years ago and have always wanted to add (at least) one to my collection. I picked up Liberty or Death earlier this year and have finally found the time to attempt a solo game.

Preamble
First, decide who to play as. Represent one faction or one side (two factions)?
My priority for this game is not to win but to learn and experience the game in a manageable fashion.
Therefore I'll be playing as a single faction, one perceived to be the most straightforward: the British. All other factions will be non-player controlled.
Game will be played at a slow pace with focus on understanding available actions and learning how to accurately execute those actions.
Because no importance is placed on finishing the scenario, I will start "at the beginning", with the 1775 Long Scenario: "A People Numerous and Armed".

First Event: "Frustrated Shawnee Warriors Attack" IBPF

1st Eligible: Indians
They elect to pass on the event even though it seems strong. The flowchart dictates Opposition must exceed Support. They are currently equal. Moving on they will instead execute a Command and Special Activity. Support (4) + 1d6 (3) = 7 > Support (4). One of the conditions for Gather (1d6 < Available War Parties (9)) is true so they'll select that.

Command: Gather
There are no provinces with 3+ War Parties, and no Villages, but Villages are available, thus place 1 War Party in spaces with room for Village first where exactly 2 War Parties already (Northwest). Gather cost is zero if first province is an Indian Province. Resources are zero so no further Gather can be paid for.

Result: 1 War Party from Available Indian Forces to Northwest.
No Special Activity is possible. (War Path and Trade are no possible)

My analysis: Net gain of only a single War Party on this turn seems weak. Reviewing the flowchart I see the logic of using the Gather Command to build the number of War Parties up to begin Village construction. Since those are prerequisites to being able to trade the Indians seem to begin the game with a chicken-and-egg problem.
I am assuming that since the Indians could not execute a Special Activity, their marker is places in the upper box in the Sequence of Play ("Command Only, No Special Activity"). Update! (2.3.4) seems to state the marker is placed in the box that represents what happened, not what was intended to happen.

2nd Eligible: British
Since the Indians executed a Command only, my options are to execute a Limited Command (2.3.5) or Pass.
Passing will earn me two resources and allow me to remain eligible for the next event ("Tryon Plot"). This event doesn't appear to be very strong at the moment so Limited Command may be better. I can chose from Muster, Garrison, March, and Battle. With so few forces on the board Muster seems a good option. Given the imporance of controlling cities I can use this as an opportunity to gain control of a new one.

Limited Command: Muster
Since this is a Limited Command I can select only one destination space. With all cities other than New York City being of equal value I will select the City of Norfolk nearly at random. I pay one resource and place six Regulars from Available British Forces (1.4.1) to Norfolk. I then move two Tories from Available to Norfolk. I now Control (1.7) Norfolk and mark it thus. Since there is no Support or Opposition here there is no change to Total Support.
I now have the option of either creating a Fort or Reward Loyalty. Support seems key so I pay one additional resource to move Norfolk one level to Passive Support. I adjust Total Support accordingly.

Result: 6 British Regulars and 2 Tories from Available British Forces to Norfolk. British Control of Norfolk. Passive Support in Norfolk. British resources decrease from 6 to 4. Total Support increases from 4 to 5.

My analysis: Seems a large effect considering it was only a Limited Command. Makes plain the British are capable of very large swings in troop numbers given ample resources. Selecting specific cities and provinces to focus on this early in the game is challenging. I'm also unsure what my income is going to be, so I'm apprehensive to spend more than the minimum amount of resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
logicallow wrote:
First Event: "Frustrated Shawnee Warriors Attack" IBPF

1st Eligible: Indians
They elect to pass on the event even though it seems strong. The flowchart dictates Opposition must exceed Support. They are currently equal.

Correct outcome, but for the wrong reason This Event doesn't shift either Support or Opposition, so the first "Event or Command?" bullet wouldn't apply even if Opposition did exceed Support.

Each of the "Event or Command?" bullets is independent of the others; if any of them applies, the bot will take the Event. However, in this case none of the "Event or Command?" bullets apply: the Event doesn't change Opposition or Support, doesn't place a Village or grant a free Gather, doesn't remove a Fort, and there are fewer than 4 Villages on the map; therefore the Event is ignored.

Quote:
Moving on they will instead execute a Command and Special Activity. Support (4) + 1d6 (3) = 7 > Support (4). One of the conditions for Gather (1d6 < Available War Parties (9)) is true so they'll select that.

Command: Gather
There are no provinces with 3+ War Parties, and no Villages, but Villages are available, thus place 1 War Party in spaces with room for Village first where exactly 2 War Parties already (Northwest). Gather cost is zero if first province is an Indian Province. Resources are zero so no further Gather can be paid for.

Result: 1 War Party from Available Indian Forces to Northwest.
No Special Activity is possible. (War Path and Trade are not possible.)

And since the Indians did not use any Special Activity, their cylinder goes into the "Command Only" box in the Sequence of Play so the 2nd Eligible Faction is restricted to a Limited Command (which becomes a full Command + Special Activity for the Non-players per 8.1.1).

Quote:
Command: French Agent Mobilization

Um... why are the French acting here? The Faction Order on this card is IBPF. All Factions start the game Eligible, and the Indians have just taken their action as 1st Eligible; that means that the British (i.e., you) are 2nd Eligible.

If the British choose to Pass (which could make sense depending on what card is next, since you as a player are currently restricted to a Limited Command), then the Patriots become 2nd Eligible instead.

The French only get to act on this card if both the British and the Patriots Pass, but in this situation the Patriots would take a Command in case the British Pass, so either way the French will have to wait until the next Event card to do anything.

Quote:
2nd Eligible: Patriots
Under normal circumstances the Patriots would be eligible for either the Event or a Limited Command.

No, they wouldn't; see above...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love how you're detailing your play! It makes it an excellent learning/teaching tool. However, after you name the card in play, you wrote, "IBPF", seeming to indicate the order of faction play on the card, but instead of playing British as second eligible, you played Patriot. Did I miss something or is the faction order (or your play of it) in error?

[Oerjan posted while I was typing mine.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

Um... why are the French acting here? The Faction Order on this card is IBPF. All Factions start the game Eligible, and the Indians have just taken their action as 1st Eligible; that means that the British (i.e., you) are 2nd Eligible.

Because the BGG forum apparently ate half of my text. I'm attempting to edit my original post to include it but it's not cooperating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edelrio wrote:
I really love how you're detailing your play! It makes it an excellent learning/teaching tool.

Thank you! That is certainly my intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Second Event: "Tryon Plot" BFIP

1st Eligible: French
British are listed first but are ineligible due to having completed a Limited Action last round. The French will pass on this event. French resources are > 0 (5) and ToA has not been played. Patriot resources (3) are not < 1d3 (3) so they select French Agent Mobilization.

Militia are available so 2 are moved to the first space of QC, NY, NH, or MA which will result in a net gain of control. New Hampshire fills this criteria.

Result: 2 Patriot Militia from Available Patriot Forces to New Hampshire. Patriot Control of New Hampshire. French resources decrease from 5 to 4.

My analysis: Logical play. There are a very large number of Patriot forces in Available, so it makes sense to want to get those into play.

Special Activity: Préparer la Guerre
Result: 1 French Squadron from Unavailable to the West Indies. French Prep increases from 0 to 1.

2nd Eligible: Patriots
NOTE: Under normal circumstances the Patriots would be eligible for either the Event or a Limited Command. However 8.1 dictate non-player faction Commands are never Limited.
Patriots seem to not be interested in this event, and there's not fights to pick with the Royalists. A Rally would not place a Fort (since no space contains >4 units) and the 1d6 (3) is !> Underground Militia (6) so they elect to use Rabble-Rousing to shift Support.

Command: Rabble-Rousing
Priority is given to spaces that are have Active Support. There are none of these, so all other spaces are equal in value. 8.2 instructs how to select spaces at random. Roll is 1d3=2, 1d6=6. Following the Random Space flowchart the first potential space is New York as it contains 1 or more Underground Militia. Per (8.1.1), resources remain, so we continue the action. Roll for next space is 1d3=3, 1d6=6. New Hampshire is selected due to presence of Rebellion Control and Patriot units. Next roll is 1d3=1, 1d6=4. Philadelphia is selected and opposition is raised. Patriot resources have reached zero so they immediately use the Persuasion Special Activity (permitted during the Command under 4.1). See outcome in Special Activity report below. Now with 3 resources Patriots continue with the Command. Virginia appears to be the only remaining space that can be actioned. Looking for rule that clarifies if a space is permitted to contain more than one Propaganda.

Result: New York to Passive Opposition and gains Propaganda. New Hampshire to Passive Opposition and gains Propaganda. Philadelphia to Passive Opposition and gains Propaganda. Virginia to Passive Opposition and gains Propaganda. Patriot resources decrease from 3 to 0 (from 0 to 3 during Special Activity, then 3 to 2 after Special Activity). Total Opposition increases from 4 to 10.

My analysis: Using the Underground Militia in New York to shift the population towards Opposition in the face of British Control is quite thematically fun. Huge turn overall. Underground Militia should be seen as a potential resource to be expended to gain Opposition (via Rabble-Rousing) and resources (via Persuasion).

Special Activity: Persuasion
(4.3.1) seems to indicate Underground Militia are a prerequisite for Persuasion. Patriots select Massachusetts (first with forts, and by random selection, Virginia (2,5) and New Hampshire (1,1).

Result: Massachusetts and Virginia gain Propaganda. 1 Underground Militia in Massachusetts, Virginia, and New Hampshire to Active. Patriot resources increases from 0 to 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Third Event: "Guy Carleton and Indians Negotiate" IBPF

1st Eligible: Indian
This event permits the placement of a Village, so the Indians elect to play the shaded part of the event based on the special rules indicated by the musket icon under the eligibility order icon.

Event: Quebec chaos
Of Quebec and Quebec City there appears to be no priority given to choose, so Quebec City is chosen at random (2, 1).

Result: 2 War Parties and 1 Village moved from Available to Quebec City.

2nd Eligible: British
There are few British Regulars left in Available, so Muster doesn't make much sense. Instead I will Garrison to attempt to seize control of another city. Primarily moving the previously Mustered units in Norfolk, then displacing the only Patriot troop in Philadelphia (and activating it).

Command: Garrison
Result: British resources decrease from 4 to 2. 1 British Regular from Norfolk to Savannah. Savannah under British Control. 1 British Regular from Norfolk to Charles Town. Charles Town under British Control. 3 British Regular from Norfolk to Philadelphia. Philadelphia under British Control. Activate 1 Patriot Militia in Philadelphia. 1 Patriot Militia from Philadelphia to New Jersey. New Jersey under Patriot Control.

Special Activity: Naval Pressure
Result: British resources increases from 2 to 4. (1d3 = 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
logicallow wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because the BGG forum apparently ate half of my text. I'm attempting to edit my original post to include it but it's not cooperating.

Alright I couldn't get it to work in one post, I must have been hitting some invisible character limit or something. I added each of the three turns I played as separate posts in this thread.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Weeks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had to clear the table to make room for a game of X-Wing but I very much enjoyed my first real introduction to Liberty or Death and COIN in general. I will definitely be playing another solo game in the near future to continue to familiarize myself with the non-player flowcharts and the mechanics of the commands. A friend has a copy of Fire in the Lake and I'm looking forward to playing that comparing them.

Solo game in progress:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.