Subject: Are colonies limited? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a large two player scenario. There are over ten AP planets in such scenario and one of us also had the racial ability, which allows to colonize asteroids. Eventually one of us ran out of colonies, i.e. colony 5 tokens. We agreed that the player can still colonize and capture colonies with ground troops but the extra colonies cannot grow over size 3.

Are the number colonies limited by design? I would say no because it is an issue only for large two player scenarios under specific circumstances, that is I guess that the number of colony counters is limited to save production cost of the game. Besides, limited colonies would mean that at certain point you can no longer capture enemy colonies with ground troops, which would be weird and gamey and potential trap for inexperienced players. (Note that on large maps you want to capture colonies not so much for the income but for free intelligence and tech.)

Note also that rule 7.5.4. does not apply to colony ships which are not represented by group counters. Also, unlike miners colony ships are dismantled after colonization.

So, what is the correct way to play? Have I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played with unlimited colonies myself.
Especially on the 2 player full map scenarios that's just necessary. In those we've generally used all non-combat tokens (COs/colonies, miners, pipelines) from two colours per faction. I think that's even an official set up instruction for at least one scenario.
With the extra miners from CE doubling up on them isn't really necessary anymore though and after one game were one player got a lot of nebulae and lots of money from mining them we've started limiting them back to 4 per side again.

In the scenario you mentioned it sounds like the advantage would have lost quite a bit of its strength by capping colonies, so I'd definitely allow using tokens from a different colour to get more 5 cp colonies.

Not sure what the official ruling on it is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.