BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Not collectible game with warships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paweł Stępniak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
I'm looking for not collectible game about naval battles in 17th/18th century. It will be best, if it has hex board and some miniatures.

I found Wooden ships and iron men on BGG and I like this mechanics, but it doesn't have any miniatures and it's probably unavailable. From new games Seafall looks great,but it's 4X legacy game and in the manual is no information about battles (more rules will be unlocked during campaign). Sails of glory is awesome, but it's typical wargame and I will have to find one friend to play it with me and it will be great if he have some miniatures too, so it is a little difficult option. Moreover it is collectible so i have to pay 100-120$ to have more options to play. Of course we have Dreadfleet, but it is also typical wargame but with 10 ships only and if i have to pay 60$ I would buy Sails of glory starter instead, because of better mechanics in my opinion.

Do you have any other recomendations?
Maybe PnP or KS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
No minis, but Flying Colors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one I can think of is Naval War of 1812.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Might want to reconsider "Sails of Glory". You do get 4 ships with base game. Consider it more of an expandable game than a collectible game. After getting your feet wet, add 2-4 ships and ship data placemats and you can do some interesting battles with small fleet actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done wooden ships and iron men on a 1" hex map using the ships from Pirates constructable card game. For me it was a cheap solution. Bought a "parts" copy of the game for the rules, already had the map from D&D, got the ships as a bulk lot on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Wooden Ships & Iron Men is easy to find, and cheap. Have a look around, It's a great game and easy to learn.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few historical miniatures lines readably available.

They also tend be a bit cheaper then fantasy and sci-fi lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you more interested in controlling one ship, or in fleet commands? Are you going to primarily play 2 player or multiplayer?

Sails of Glory isn't really collectible like X-Wing. Many people with Wings of War seem to just play the base game, sometimes with one expansion, and some buy the mini's. Sails of Glory comes with the mini's, but I would assume many are happy to just enjoy the base game, where X-Wing really encourages "gotta get them all" or even buying duplicates.

From what I understand of the other top Age of Sail games, in chronological order:
WS&IM is the classic, good level of complexity, probably best when running 1 to a few ships per player.
Close Assault is heavier than WS&IM, focuses on managing just one ship per player, and easily allows for high player counts
Flying Colors is lighter, focused on fleet level, allowing each player to control many ships

I know nothing about it, but Admiralty has downloadable rules, so perhaps you could PnP your own version with mini's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stępniak
msg tools
mbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
Only one I can think of is Naval War of 1812.

This is what i meant - complete game with divided board, but mechanics are uninteresting.

Sagrilarus wrote:

Wooden Ships & Iron Men is easy to find, and cheap. Have a look around, It's a great game and easy to learn.

S.

On ebay it's 30$ + 22$ shipment. If I can have Sails of glory for 80$ without shipping, I have 28$ to buy miniatures. Shipping cost for miniatures is 15$ and 9-12$/unpainted ship, which I found on ebay, on amazon I found 3pack of painted ships for 25$ + 5$ or more shipment.
Is a better way to buy miniatures in Europe? Because shipping costs from US kill my wallet.

Ryan Keane wrote:
Are you more interested in controlling one ship, or in fleet commands? Are you going to primarily play 2 player or multiplayer?

I'm interested in controlling from 1 to 4 ships/player. The second question is quite difficult, because rarely I play 2 player games, so it will be best if would be 2-4 player game. In more persons any two-sided game would be messy.

How long it takes to explain rules to sails of glory and can I play it with people who don't play much? Can we call it board game or it's more like typical wargame e.g. warhammer fantasy battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmarpriest wrote:

Ryan Keane wrote:

I'm interested in controlling from 1 to 4 ships/player. The second question is quite difficult, because rarely I play 2 player games, so it will be best if would be 2-4 player game. In more persons any two-sided game would be messy.

How long it takes to explain rules to sails of glory and can I play it with people who don't play much? Can we call it board game or it's more like typical wargame e.g. warhammer fantasy battle?

Yeah, it sounds like Sails of Glory is the game you want, based on the player count you want, coming with nice pre-painted mini's, and ease of teaching. 2-4 players, 1-2 ships per player. You can play teams or free-for-all.

In the scheme of things, min/maxing how much money one game will cost over another is not important - buy the game you want first. If you fall in love with Age of Sails games, you may eventually purchase the older games anyway.

SoG is a miniatures game but it doesn't feel like a typical miniatures game like Warhammer (Warhammer is not an example of a typical wargame). It's all maneuver and fire. It is mechanically an indirect descendant of older dogfight games like Blue Max and a direct descendant of Wings of Glory/Wings of War, and very similar to the other modern off-shoots X-Wing/Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stępniak
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree in general, but 80$ for 4 ships and some cards is quite a lot. I can buy Scythe or Cry Havoc at this price. I'm just affraid that I will not play much in SoW, because of specific gameplay and I lose money. Moreover in Poland I have only one shop with only few additional ships and as I said before shipping from UK cost a lot too. Of course I probably would enjoy playing starter set, but have in mind, that I can buy next ships would be soothing.
I will try to test game somehow, because buying it sight unseen is risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a steampunk setting so not exactly your criteria, but Leviathans may suite you very well, awesome minis, hexes, and there's a finite amount of stuff, 1 core box, two expansion fleet boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stępniak
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have seen Leviathans, I like steampunk theme, but the general problem in it and all Star Wars games is same- no wind. I love sailing and the feeling when You outmaneuvered someone is just incomparable.

I found a news about new wave of miniatures from SoG on facebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good source of free rules for naval wargaming http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/rulesonline.html

There are a number of manufacturers of 1/1200 scale ships, try Navwar, they cost around £3 a ship, although they would require some assembly and painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.