Hide
7 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sewers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King Benno
msg tools

So heroes pop down one trap door, open another and magically pop up on other side of the map? I think not.

I bought a department 56 cobblestone street for around $15 off of amazon (now going for under $10.... Bastards lol) and cut it up into about a Dozen squares. These you can rearrange into any arrangement you see fit.

-Make a connection between vaults and if you want you can even place doors for underground zombie surprises. I also add in a sewer spawn point which is active only when a hero in underground during zombie spawn phase.

-Heroes still can't search underground, but zombies can hear underground, allowing to to travel beneath the city streets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I'll be using Massive Darkness tiles for. Good idea for a quick fix you have though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Benno
msg tools
Yeah, I think massive darkness will open the options up for variables incredibly. Too bad we have to wait for a a year or so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbenno wrote:

-Heroes still can't search underground, but zombies can hear underground, allowing to to travel beneath the city streets.

I enjoy seeing people's underground ideas, but you do know that the above is true of vaults as they are, right? Zombies can hear you down there and travel via the same vaults just fine.

If the vaults were survivor-only, I'd agree that they are problematical. As it is, making them longer actually dilutes their threat factor. I see vaults as a double-edged sword in that they allow you to basically teleport across the map...while allowing your foes to do the same. Opening both trap doors to a vault suddenly effects all the enemy routing and usually means foes are going to get to you faster. They essentially make the map smaller for you and your foes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also hanging out for Massive Darkness to use the tiles for the underground passages between the vault doors.

Couple of questions...

If all your heroes are in the vault and you are spawning zombies underground are you going to continue to spawn above ground? Could be 3-4 turns to move between vault doors, so 9-12 spawns and very likely that multiple necromancers could spawn and escape.

You could lose while being underground.

I am looking at spawning Massive Darkness mobs underground so was intending to cease spawning zombies above ground if the heroes were all below. Rationale being you spawn at the highest level, and if there is no one above ground then you need to spawn at 0 level.

But what if the party splits and half go under ground and the others remain topside?

You would still spawn at the highest level both above and below, but you would be over run fairly quickly if you had the same number of spawns but half the heroes.

Reducing the number of spawn points in line with the scaling guidelines might help but how to chose which points to spawn at and which to leave?

I am looking for a nice simple way which reduces the number of zombies spawning above ground, reduces the number of necromancers which can spawn and end the game, spawn an appropriate number of times below ground and not add an extra hour to the game.

I also want some objectives and unique underground equipment items to be found but that is for another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, nice tile solution for expanding the Vault concept KingBeano. I have been toying with using tiles from the D&D adventure board games myself, and with variable results. Meaning, some of the points raised by JisLizard are still being tweaked.

@JisLizard,

As we have discussed previously, I too fully intend to incorporate MD tiles and Critters when the time comes.

As to your observations above:

I agree that a system to mitigate how many and what sorts of spawns occur and where, is one of our challenges. As you say, when the party is below ground, the simplest method is to "Turn off" above ground spawns. But, that solution I have found to be clumsy, as this can lead to the party hiding down stairs until the entire board has been funneled down through chokepoints.

One method I have been experimenting with, but have not tested thoroughly as my group meets infrequently and does not want to waste time test-playing variants... Is to continue to draw Spawns up top, but ignore anything that is NOT a necromancer (They wander off?).

However, when a Necromancer Spawns, any additional spawn points that turn spawn normally. Which is to say that; once a Necromancer hits the table, any further spawn points that turn will spawn whatever is on their card. But only for that turn.

This makes it important that the party deals with Necromancers when they show up, and forces them to keep an eye on what's happening above ground, but does limit the opportunities for the board to get overwhelmed.

As to the party splitting... It has not happened yet in the couple games I've attempted this. Probably because I have mentioned that spawns will happen normally so long as anyone is above ground... Which naturally scares everyone into sticking together...*Chuckle*... But it's a legitimate question.

As stated, a lot more testing is needed.

@KingBeano,

Apologies for derailing your thread, I too am interested in hearing more about how your own testing goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer S
msg tools
I really like the idea by expanding the "underground" part of the game.
I ordered the "Sewers" from Battle Systems for this (http://shop.battlesystems.co.uk/sewers-21-p.asp).

But I have to figure out the balancing of the game with a bigger underground vault part:
the heroes still have to have a reason to go down in such a (big) section without finding a safe spot to cover distances on the board.
The idea placing additional spawn points down there is nice, but you have to keep in mind only one hero goes down there and don't has to risk to be overrun by a mob.
What about whenever a hero is in a vault section, a spawn point becomes active but you have to roll a dice to decide if it spawns or not: if the result is lower or equal to the number of heroes down there, it spawns?
In addition to that, what about the idea to place two instead of one treasure chest in the vault (limited to one chest to each survivor)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.