Hide
4 Posts

Memoir '44: Pacific Theater» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused about Special Rules for Victory Medals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawson Deming
msg tools
Pacific Theater scenarios include some rules like this example from Scenario 53 Guam, Japanese Counterattack

"A Japanese unit that captures a HQ-Suppply tent or Hospital hex counts as one Victory Medal. Place a Japanese Objective Medal on each of the hexes. The medal once gained, continues to count toward the Japanese victory, even if the unit moves off the hex or is eliminated"

This is in contrast to the standard rules for objectives, which state something along the lines of "If the unit moves or is eliminated, it no longer counts."

What the rules don't explain, and which I haven't been able to find in a FAQ or Errata anywhere, is whether or not such spaces can be re-captured. There is a big difference between a unit occupying a hex being eliminated, leaving a hex empty, and the original owner of that hex moving a unit into it after it is vacated.

While I'm assuming the rules basically mean that once the objective is taken it counts forever as a victory point for the taker, its kind of infuriating that that information could have been conveyed much more clearly in fewer words in the rules, which sort of makes me wonder why they chose to phrase it the way they did. Its literally the first question that popped into both my wife's and my head while reading it.

Thoughts? Is there any rule anywhere for re-taking objectives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A victory medal that continues to count after the hex is vacated is a "Permanent Medal Objective."

A victory medal that does NOT count after the hex is vacated is a "Temporary Medal Objective."

A temporary medal can be recaptured.

The rules for objective medals are on page 11 of the Mediterranean Theater expansion rule book.

There is another explanation of more objective medal types on page 4 of the Winter Wars expansion rule book.

Both of these rule books are available for free download at the DoW Memoir 44 website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson Deming
msg tools
So, to clarify based on your answer to my question...

Looking at the rules of Pacific Theater, there is no mention of unique objective types except for what I've mentioned in the wording of some scenarios. It seems like when this expansion came out in 2006, the idea of different medal objective types hadn't been codified yet in the game system.

Temporary and Permanent Medal Objective types are defined in Mediterranean (2008) and referenced as such in the scenarios associated with it. Likewise, Winter Wars (2010) specifically defines objectives and references them by type in scenarios.

It sounds like the more vague objective description referred to in Pacific would eventually come to be called "Permanent Objectives" even though they weren't at the time. That may explain why they were eventually clarified in future expansions.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.