Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I don't know what we're doing wrong, but we cannot beat the second mission in any form. Even knowing the "route" we never manage to even get near the ending because of the overwhelming Horror cards we get. We always end up with somebody going past insane and ends the game.

Can be that the app is bugged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app isn't bugged, not for this purpose anyway.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Have you tried splitting up? It helps speed up your progress through the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DDD Schramm
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also did you remember you can interrupt your move to take a second action and then finish your movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
The app isn't bugged, not for this purpose anyway.

Have you tried splitting up? It helps speed up your progress through the map.

This. It's a tough scenario to beat. It works best to do the above mentioned thing, otherwise time runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We split up. We calculated the most optimal route possible. We even had extra luck for the rolls a lot.

It just wont work, we all go insane2 by the time the boar arrives and cannot finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto de Gooijer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Maybe you only pick really hero type of characters with Low sanity 6 or less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
How many investigators are you using? I'd recommend at least four. (Yet I'm no fan of this scenario / in personally find it unfair/badly designed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a tougher scenario, but certainly doable. Without spoiling anything:

* Keep in mind the Objectives you're after. Once you've played the scenario, you know (more or less) where those objectives will be and what you need to do to complete them.

* Split up accordingly. This can be a very rough scenario for only 2 investigators because of the lack of ground you can cover. The game will take it a bit easier on you when there are only two investigators (in terms of monster spawns and mythos effects), but it is still quite the task cover the whole map.

* Be careful when choosing investigators with low Sanity thresholds. Rita is still nice because of how much ground she can cover. Taking an investigator that can help others remove horror is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are playing this one for the first time. It was son insane (yes, I went there) that I had to keep searching the rule book to see if I missed some key rule about a way to remove horror and damage like resting in Eldritch Horror. AFAICT, you can NOT remove horror or damage without being lucky and discovering an item that does it for you. Is that correct?

If so, this scenario is insanely hard because...

...each investigator WILL lose a MINIMUM of six sanity by the end of the third day. This eliminates three of the eight investigators from being chosen for the scenario right off the bat. It leaves two more investigators with only 1 sanity left after Day Three assuming they didn't fail any tests and gain one more random horror along the way. While we haven't finished yet, we are planning on failing and trying again with different investigators. Still, that is a TON of horror to suffer when you can't heal any of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
My wife and I are playing this one for the first time. It was son insane (yes, I went there) that I had to keep searching the rule book to see if I missed some key rule about a way to remove horror and damage like resting in Eldritch Horror. AFAICT, you can NOT remove horror or damage without being lucky and discovering an item that does it for you. Is that correct?

Some characters have abilities that remove Horror, and sometimes an effect in the app will allow you to remove Damage or Horror.

Quote:
If so, this scenario is insanely hard because...

...each investigator WILL lose a MINIMUM of six sanity by the end of the third day. This eliminates three of the eight investigators from being chosen for the scenario right off the bat. It leaves two more investigators with only 1 sanity left after Day Three assuming they didn't fail any tests and gain one more random horror along the way. While we haven't finished yet, we are planning on failing and trying again with different investigators. Still, that is a TON of horror to suffer when you can't heal any of it.

Based on the information in your spoiler, you're talking about the fourth scenario, Rising Tide.

I think it is a weak point in the scenario that a very long scenario has unusual requirements for you should bring. I wouldn't take a low Sanity character who can't heal his own Horror, but I wouldn't have known to do that unless I'd read spoilers or played before. (Also, since there are a lot of monsters in the scenario, you don't need as much in the way of physically strong but mentally weak characters.)

The good news is that there are a number of Search and Interact spots that let you remove Horror depending on your choices: being nice to minor NPCs is usually rewarded. I think I may have picked up Instill Bravery in one of my runs, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Some characters have abilities that remove Horror,

The only one is Preston and he only discards a face down horro when he happens to gain an item.

GregF wrote:
Based on the information in your spoiler, you're talking about the fourth scenario, Rising Tide.

Yes, but it is the second as far as difficulty rating goes.

GregF wrote:
The good news is that there are a number of Search and Interact spots that let you remove Horror depending on your choices: being nice to minor NPCs is usually rewarded. I think I may have picked up Instill Bravery in one of my runs, too.

That all feels like luck, at least on the first play through. I come from an Eldritch Horror background where you were given the opportunity to use a rest action to recover sanity and health, but it came at the cost of losing an action. It forces tough decisions which is a good thing. Here, though, you have no guaranteed way to remove horror and damage which makes it feel like one big dice roll that you are destined to lose.

I hope it gets better.

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Li
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I haven't beat this scenario completely yet, but here's a HUGE spoiler:
The investigation can be considered complete as far as the app is concerned even if a) you don't have enough evidence or b) Agent Craven gets devoured by the mob. As long as you get the boat to dock and board it, you can leave and the app will say the investigation is complete.

I've played this scenario 8 times and at least half the times were by myself. Yesterday night was the first time I was able to complete it (even though Agent Craven fell into the mob trying to reach the boat and Rita Young's insanity condition prevented her from winning. I just left Rita Young to die since Agatha Crane had all the evidence.

Tonight, I had the opposite happen. Rita Young's Insanity prevented her from winning unless she had two pieces of evidence, so I just had Agatha Crane hand them to her at the end before leaving. Agent Craven managed to reach the boat in time and both Rita Young and Agatha Crane left. However, I didn't have enough evidence, but it was still considered complete...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.