Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Legendary (with most expansions) on and off again--always on Advanced Solo mode, and I use the Legendary Leagues Randomizer to generate scenarios.

Today I played a real booger: Mysterio (whom I never recall beating) led Deadlands and Ghost Riders to Search for the Fountain of Youth.

Nightcrawler (love that guy), Cyclops, and Iron Fist teamed up to save the day.

Ugh. I never got anywhere. In short order Mysterio had nine Tactics Cards, the city filled up with undead baddies, and every time I killed one, he instantly reappeared either through Scheme Twists or "Rise of the Living Dead" ambushes.

Early on I saw that I would have to focus on defeating Mysterio, but each time I did, that Tactic Card immediately returned to the game. I figured I would have to have several high-combat turns to whack him repeatedly in order to try to stay ahead of the resurrections. I leaned on Nightcrawler's teleportation to try to set it up. I was quickly overwhelmed. Three bad guys escaped the city, and I had zero in my Victory Pile.

So, my question for you veterans: Am I right in thinking that there are unwinnable scenarios? Or is there some combination of skill and luck that might somehow have prevailed against this onslaught?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least in Legendary Marvel Villains some are.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1318568/after-8-no-win-game...

Going for my fourth try against that Resurrect the Norns + Odin scenario.

Hey but its fun to try cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is a fact of life with Legendary. Some scenarios cannot be won. It comes from having seemingly unlimited combinations of setups, which makes it great for replayability but they can't all be playtested for balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Also keep in mind that expansions have a variety in difficulty levels. So taking a tough mastermind with tougher villains and a difficult scheme against base game heroes who don't synergies well could be a disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Baker
msg tools
My personal favorite is Advanced Solo, The Legacy Virus against Mephisto with Colossus, Hulk, and Human Torch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not impossible, played a tough setup last night. It was the Spider Queen trying to Replace Earth's Leaders With Killbots. SQ gets +1 fight for each bystander in the escape pile. You lose to the scheme when you have 5 or more Killbots escape. We treated the escaping bystanders as Killbots, and not bystanders so they didn't increase SQ's attack. However, the tactic where you reveal the top 8 cards of the villain deck and all bystanders escape, that stunk. We revealed 5 bystanders. My though was since they all came from the villain deck they would be considered Killbots as the scheme stated "all bystanders in the villain deck count as Killbot Villains." My friend thought that since the SQ card effect revealed them they should be considered normal bystanders. My thoughts: we lost. My friend's: SQ gets +5 attack. With the 3 bystanders that were escaped next to her, that was +3 attack to a total value of 16. Rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much any escape-based scheme against Hyperion becomes next to impossible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
Yes, Hyperion makes a lot of schemes very difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
Is there a thread anywhere on best scheme to mastermind difficulty levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:
While not impossible, played a tough setup last night. It was the Spider Queen trying to Replace Earth's Leaders With Killbots. SQ gets +1 fight for each bystander in the escape pile. You lose to the scheme when you have 5 or more Killbots escape. We treated the escaping bystanders as Killbots, and not bystanders so they didn't increase SQ's attack. However, the tactic where you reveal the top 8 cards of the villain deck and all bystanders escape, that stunk. We revealed 5 bystanders. My though was since they all came from the villain deck they would be considered Killbots as the scheme stated "all bystanders in the villain deck count as Killbot Villains." My friend thought that since the SQ card effect revealed them they should be considered normal bystanders. My thoughts: we lost. My friend's: SQ gets +5 attack. With the 3 bystanders that were escaped next to her, that was +3 attack to a total value of 16. Rough.

Bystanders that are kidnapped are bystanders. Bystanders in the villain deck are not bystanders, but killbot villains. This is a very important distinction to make as you play this scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.