Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Bring Back Artifacts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Would you guys like it if they brought back a new version of the artifact keyword from the GotG expansion, but this time, using the many infamous artifacts, weapons, gear, and technology from the Marvel Universe?

I am talking things ranging from Moon Knight's crescent darts to Juggernaut's helmet to Mjolnir to Pym Particles to The Eye of Agamatto, etc. etc....

Maybe they can be recruitable "special" artifacts, all with their own special ability that each player can only own 2 of in a game and have one in play at a time.

Maybe some "artifacts" can have side effects like they do in the Marvel Universe like the symbiote, Nuke's pills, gamma rays, etc...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Being Back Artifacts?
I wouldn't mind if they added a new deck of "Artifact" cards by the sidekicks and the SHIELD officers. A Villain group full of recruitable artifacts would be fun too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Being Back Artifacts?
Dbriner31 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they added a new deck of "Artifact" cards by the sidekicks and the SHIELD officers. A Villain group full of recruitable artifacts would be fun too.


I was actually thinking of making artifacts their own pseudo "hero" in the hero stack. I would not mind the way you suggested if UD finally made a rule on limiting the number of decks we can recruit from on that side of the board.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Re: Being Back Artifacts?
I absolutely think artifacts need to be a thing again, both permanent and thrown, with more effects that could remove them like you see in Ascension.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe put them in the facedown sidekick deck?

I could see a cap shield or Thor hammer giving you a constant class symbol while it's in play and then you can choose to throw it to the bottom of your deck for a recruit or attack. Nothing super powerful but very useful for synergys.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Oh please, no. I don't want yet another evergreen stack, much less a face-down one. Just make heroes that use artifacts the way they've already done. Make villains that interact with artifacts. I'll tolerate extra artifacts being thrown into the villain deck that play the next card, so you can defeat the villain to gain the artifact.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Organous wrote:
Oh please, no. I don't want yet another evergreen stack, much less a face-down one. Just make heroes that use artifacts the way they've already done. Make villains that interact with artifacts. I'll tolerate extra artifacts being thrown into the villain deck that play the next card, so you can defeat the villain to gain the artifact.


Isn't there already a facedown sidekicks deck with Civil War? I think that'd be a perfect spot for a few artifacts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor poo wrote:
Organous wrote:
Oh please, no. I don't want yet another evergreen stack, much less a face-down one. Just make heroes that use artifacts the way they've already done. Make villains that interact with artifacts. I'll tolerate extra artifacts being thrown into the villain deck that play the next card, so you can defeat the villain to gain the artifact.


Isn't there already a facedown sidekicks deck with Civil War? I think that'd be a perfect spot for a few artifacts.


The downside is that you start getting into the same silliness the DC game has, where Batman is using the Golden Lasso of Truth or Superman is arming himself with Nth Metal and the Batmobile. While I'm sure someone can post an image of Hulk using Cap's Shield and maybe even Thor's Hammer, I'm not particularly clamoring for it to be something that occurs in-game.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm kind of there with you. Like I said, I'd tolerate it being just included generally, but I'd prefer them be lumped with their characters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Dbriner31 wrote:
A Villain group full of recruitable artifacts would be fun too.

You mean like the Infinity Stones, right?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funny you should bring this up ....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to more artifacts. UD did a poll about what key word people wanted to return, and I think artifacts was the most popular. I would say no to an artifact deck though, just have them with hero cards. I wouldn't mind the artifact villains showing up again, like the infinity stones.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Big Trouble in Little China has a new hero deck system where a few characters have three different common sets that you pick two of to include in the deck.

UD could make an expansion that adds a five card common set to the original box's heroes, giving each of them (or at least the appropriate ones) an artifact or other keywords.

That could be fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
doctor poo wrote:
Legendary Big Trouble in Little China has a new hero deck system where a few characters have three different common sets that you pick two of to include in the deck.

UD could make an expansion that adds a five card common set to the original box's heroes, giving each of them (or at least the appropriate ones) an artifact or other keywords.

That could be fun.


This is the best idea I've heard yet. It does mean a little more effort would be needed to make good card sets for characters that might want to theme on their artifacts without actually needing them, but this is a very good solution. I am all up for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the extra common makes setup a little longer in Big Trouble, but I like this solution because it means I'd get Cap's thrown shield artifact without needing a 23rd version of Cap.

It would also let Upper Deck add some of the complexity of the expansions to the original character decks and maybe breathe new life into some characters that don't see as much play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Urbanek
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
I'm considering going through and adding a single artifact card to every Hero deck, making each 15 cards. For many heroes, the artifact would be clear, but others might take some thinking. I don't think increasing the hero deck by 5 cards will throw off balance too much.

If I did this, I'd have to come up with some way to add artifact hate to the villain deck...a card that destroys artifacts in play, or sends them to the discard, etc. Then "play the next card from the villain deck" to ensure that the game isn't slowed by this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see more artifacts in the game but I would opt more for them to be like the Infinity Stones - villain decks that you defeat to gain control of them (for things like the Ultimate Nulifier or Cosmic Cube) or Hero decks you can recruit to your own deck provided you have a certain character (must have Captain America to get his shield, Thor (or Lady Thor) to get Mjolnir etc).

I would not want another separate deck of cards (or even ones included in the Sidekicks deck) of artifacts. There are plenty of options already for that stuff, imo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor poo wrote:
It would also let Upper Deck add some of the complexity of the expansions to the original character decks and maybe breathe new life into some characters that don't see as much play.


And yet nobody would use the Artifact card for Black Widow, unless it was even more broken than her original base set cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any keyword in this game should ever be retired. As soon as they introduce one in a set, all future sets should have some cards that feature them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I wouldn't go so far as to require it. Keep in mind, every set should be designed so that they are playable with just the basic game. If a mechanic returns, it should return with some force, and this game is bloated enough as it is. I do think that artifacts deserve to be an evergreen mechanic, though. They deserve to be in the foundation of this game's core.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just saying that I don't think there should be someone at Upper Deck saying, "Focus? That was just for Fantastic Four. We're never bringing that back again even if there's a Hero called Focus Man." I hate it when companies introduce new keywords in expansions and then never revisit them again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Agreed. Fortunately, UD has shown they're willing to reintroduce old mechanics. Wall-Crawl and Bribe have both made recent appearances outside their introduction.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:
doctor poo wrote:
It would also let Upper Deck add some of the complexity of the expansions to the original character decks and maybe breathe new life into some characters that don't see as much play.


And yet nobody would use the Artifact card for Black Widow, unless it was even more broken than her original base set cards.

Or they'll deliberately use it to bring BW back in line with the rest of the heroes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.