The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION : Wednesday September 7, 2016.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fun night at the Legion. Things got busier as the Darts league started its fall season.

Nick, Charles, Bill and I started out with Saint Petersburg (second edition). Nick was able to obtain some higher value workers and some buildings that earned him cash early in the game and this helped him generate lots of income. Bill and Charles both went for large tableaus of nobles. I had a decent stack of buildings and workers but I really screwed up my nobles, with my exchange nobles replacing non-duplicated nobles in my tableau. In the end Nick won and both Bill and Charles outpaced me.

Next, Bill taught Charles and I Talat, a beautiful abstract game in which each player plays the other players simultaneously on separate boards. The movement rules are simple as are the hierarchy of pieces and rules for taking opponents pieces. The tricks come from in placing pieces on the boards - there are nine pieces to place and 10 possible starting spaces), your strongest piece can be beaten by your weakest piece and you are trying to balance between the two boards you will be playing on - and from trying to respond and push on two boards. I'm not an abstract player and it showed as both Charles and Bill (who can both look several moves ahead) ran roughshod over me with Charles getting the victory. The pieces are amazing and the board, while nice, didn't come close to them in quality.

Finally, Charles, Bill and I finished out with The King Is Dead. I had played another version of it König von Siam once before and much of it is the same except the hierarchy of winning (I think). In this game you are placing coloured cubes on the board, moving cubes around the board, changing the resolution order of provinces, and, with each card played,taking cubes from the board. Cubes on the board will determine how a province resolves when it's resolution comes up (resolving in favour of one of the three factions or being invaded). Cubes in hand are your "followers" and will help determine the victor. Its a very interesting mechanism that you can strengthen your position with followers of a particular faction while simultaneously weakening the position of the faction on the board. To take actions you play one of 8 cards (you can only take 8 actions over the 8 rounds and once you've played your last card you are watching from the sideline). In my two plays of this game (and its sister) it has always been tight and gone down to the last round. Ties (of which there are many) are resolved by order of card play. This point escapes me but, at some point, I will get it. Both Charles and Bill could look several moves ahead while I felt I was looking several moves back. This brain burner of a game is lots of fun and, on his last move there was nothing Charles could do to prevent Bill from winning due to invasion. We all had the 3 sets of three different factions but Bill would play the last card to win. Fun stuff.

Other games I saw played were Above and Below and Wizard.

See you all next week.

Don't forget KanataKon next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.