Subject: Concentrating on Midway tickets fails miserably rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, Gary and Trevor had played a three player game before I arrived, and they quickly explained the rules to me. They said something about the first player having an advantage, and I was randomly drawn to go first. So would I be able to continue the streak of the first player winning?

In the first round, I focused on volume, and that got me many Midway tickets. I collected something like 5 of them, and got the lead and scored 7 pts in the first round with them. So I thought now that I was down this path, I would continue since I had more VPs than anyone else.

Unfortunately, the long term part of the game, getting approved exhibits and leader medals is the better play. Gary and Don were the ones winning the most of the majorities. This allowed them to convert cards to approved exhibits and score many points that way. I was trying to stay close with the approved exhibits. When my turn came along, I would try to see which color I was missing and try to tie for second or first so I could convert at the scoring. This line of thinking didn’t appear to work as I did not score many majorities. Gary and Don in particular were able to use the personalities to manipulate cubes on the board, which I rarely did

In the second round, I did lead in the Midway tickets, but fell behind everyone for approved exhibits.

We could see that it was going to be close between Gary and Don. But Gary had one more leader medal than Don for the win

Scores:
Gary 63 (6 midway tickets, 26 leader medals, 31 approved exhibits),
Don 58 (5 midway tickets, 22 leader medals, 31 approved exhibits),
Trevor 53 (15 midway tickets, 8 leader medals, 30 approved exhibits), Norbert 49 (19 midway tickets, 12 leader medal tickets, 18 approved exhibits).

Game end: Gary is yellow, has 2 outright majorities and tied for the lead in another area. Don is blue, Trevor is purple and I am white. Gary's medals are at the bottom left.

It was a fun game to play. There are meaningful decisions to be made, and there are lots to think about, particularly where to play your supporter cube and which cards to collect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My overall strategy is to get two full sets of approved exhibits. Midway tickets are like a short-term indulgence, if none of the other options really move me towards my goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.