Hide
8 Posts

Millennium Blades» Forums » General

Subject: How Worthwhile are the Promos? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon A.
msg tools
I was too late to the latest kickstarter when it was possible to acquire the five promos for $40. Now it costs $60 ($12 each) on the developer's website. That's a bit steep for my wallet.

So how worthwhile are the promos? I'm going to pick up the game soon and I really want to pick up the expansion, but I'm not sure about the rest. How interesting are the cards relative to the base game? How much do they enrich the game? I understand that the base game + exp will have plenty of content, but I'm hesitant to pass on the rest because of their limited availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they add significant value. It is of course more variety which is always fun, but you certainly won't miss out by passing on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo sets are not a major part of the game in general. I haven't even used the promo sets from the promo packs yet.

My favorite part of the promo packs are the Dragon Punch cards. They have base set backs and are in the store deck like super-rare chase cards. The fun of pulling an unexpected power card is the value it brings in my opinion, though the effects aren't game-changing compared to other 6* cards.

If you can buy them individually, that's the one I'd suggest (promo pack #2?). Otherwise, don't lose sleep over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the new promo pack that adds two new characters. I think that would be a good one to get. Always nice to have new payers to choose from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two mini-expansions add a fair amount to the game-- not just more variety in promo cards, which is nice, but also MORE INTERESTING promos. I'd recommend getting at least one of them if you're looking to expand the game at all.

(They renamed the promo packs to "mini-expansions" at some point, because it was confusing that the first ones were all promos-- like, in-game promos distributed by "Shamans Of The Midwest" to champion Millennium Blades players, as well as being real-world promos in the sense that Level 99 Games gave them to KS backers as a treat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree with the post above. The promos are not a huge part of the game, but the promos in the promo packs are much more varied and fun than most of the ones in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon A.
msg tools
Does anyone know if the Rotation expansion will come to general distribution? I could possibly justify spending the money on some of the mini-expansions if I get the base game and rotation expansion from cardhaus or coolstuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course Set Rotation is going to be available at retail. Why would you expect otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.