Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Making my own version of Coup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal Robin
msg tools
Hi, I'm willing to do my own version of coup, it will be in deffrient language, deffrient design and names, but I have a question, is it okay to use the same numbers or not, and if i use deffrient artwork and language will I get copyrighted or not.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask Rikki Tahta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilgamer wrote:
Hi, I'm willing to do my own version of coup, it will be in deffrient language, deffrient design and names, but I have a question, is it okay to use the same numbers or not, and if i use deffrient artwork and language will I get copyrighted or not.

Thank you.

Is it just for personal use or are you planning on selling it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What numbers?

(And if for personal use there is no chance of copyright claim coming against you. If you were trying to publish a clone, chances are they couldn't stop you assuming no copywritten artwork, but people would look down on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Robin
msg tools
For selling, And by numbers I mean 1 coins every round as income for example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stedman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fire of Eidolon Pre-Orders available at MagicMeepleGames.com
badge
Magic Meeple...the boardgame people! MagicMeepleGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilgamer wrote:

Thank you.

I made a custom version of Coup for my wife a couple years ago. As long as you're not selling it, it isn't in anyone's best interest to bother you about it.

I don't personally feel there is anything morally wrong about modding/re-skinning/pimping out games you bought and own for your own personal enjoyment. If you're looking to localize and sell the game for a language-specific region, then you would definitely need to talk it over with the license holders first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilgamer wrote:
Hi, I'm willing to do my own version of coup, it will be in deffrient language, deffrient design and names, but I have a question, is it okay to use the same numbers or not, and if i use deffrient artwork and language will I get copyrighted or not...

Evilgamer wrote:
For selling, And by numbers I mean 1 coins every round as income for example

Even if you can legally get away with it, you shouldn't do it because it's wrong and your parents would expect better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endymian wrote:
As long as you're not selling it, it isn't in anyone's best interest to bother you about it.

Considering some of the problems we've seen, I'd be more cautious and change that to: As long as you are not distributing it, it isn't in anyone's best interest to bother you about it.

Kwanchai's Ogre remake was publicly removed from much of the internet because the rules for Ogre itself was in there and SJ Games forced him to pull the files from all of the distribution spots they could find, much to the anger of fans of the redesign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Evilgamer wrote:

Thank you.

why would you make a copy of a game? as a player i wouldnt buy it if i knew it is a copy, and as designer the idea is bad, for not saying worse words that would describe it better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.