Popular Tags: [View All]
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the instructions for the Roman bot's quarter phase it seems that they will not move pieces during the Quarters phase unless they can make it back to Provincia.

In my most recent solo game the situation came up where a sizable Roman force was in a devastated region and cut off from supply by the Arverni (me).
They could have moved to an adjacent, non-devastated region controlled by the Aedui bot, but I didn't see any instructions to do so. As far as I can tell the Roman bot's quarter section doesn't talk about devastated regions at all.

Also, the bot seemed quite happy moving Caesar back to Provincia to get the free auxilia (only 3 in this situation) even though there were quite a few Arverni warbands sitting there (to cut off the supply line)

Did I miss something or is this the intent of the bot instructions?

To add insult to injury, the Roman's had the Winter Quarters capability, so moving the army to an adjacent non-devastated region would have made wintering free...
Since the Roman's were doing quite well at that point I decided not to deviate from the instructions and the dice were kind to them; Only 1 legion and 2 auxilia out of 5 and 9 respectively were lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
From 8.8.7 Quarters:
Quote:
The Roman Leader, all Legions, and all other Auxilia that are able to reach Provincia—including by first moving to an adjacent Supply Line Region—move to Provincia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
From 8.8.7 Quarters:
Quote:
The Roman Leader, all Legions, and all other Auxilia that are able to reach Provincia—including by first moving to an adjacent Supply Line Region—move to Provincia.
In my example they could not reach the supply line but could have reached a non-devastated space.
The section you highlighted only applies if they can make it ultimately back to Provincia, which is what I wrote above.

Why not move the pieces to a region where the cost to quarter them is lower than the current region (if possible) even if they can't reach a supply line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Niko. That makes total sense. The omission was just to keep the instruction as short and simple as reasonable in the typical case, rather than attempting to cover all possible cases optimally.

Your suggestion is a good refinement to the bot!

Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Hi Niko. That makes total sense. The omission was just to keep the instruction as short and simple as reasonable in the typical case, rather than attempting to cover all possible cases optimally.

Your suggestion is a good refinement to the bot!

Best, Volko
I'm glad to make a great game ever so slightly better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.