Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm in the process of designing a solution for MOM and I was wondering how many of you have or plan to paint the black monster bases? I've designed a rail storage system that uses the black monster bases to stabilize/store the attached monsters. It's a great solution for pained minis, but not necessarily if the bases are painted or adorned with additions.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero interest here in painting the bases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a copy with painted monster bases. I didn't get mine painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen pictures here on the Geek with some spectacular painted bases. Like a Shoggoth that breaks through the floor, something like that. I personally have not even based a miniature yet myself, so I'd not touch that.
With MoM, I'll go the clear base route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the folks with the skill and inclination to paint just replace them entirely. The big square bases are not really suitable for painting.

Looking forward to your storage solution though. Any idea when it will be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Agreed. Those big bases seem to look even more out of place with paint. I'm not convinced I'll stick with them and might rebase. Still interested in seeing your storage solution as I plan to go that route as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
I think the folks with the skill and inclination to paint just replace them entirely. The big square bases are not really suitable for painting.

Just to prove you guys wrong

Edit:
Pictures by
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's amazing work.

My admittedly unscientific survey of painted mini images on BGG turned up a few examples of painted/adorned bases, so I was somewhat concerned. It sounds like my rail storage approach will be useful for the majority of painted minis (and unpainted minis).

As to when, the solution should be ready in 3-6 days. I will share a few images once I glue the finals.

Even more exciting, it looks like the first MOM expansions will be in the channel in a just a few more weeks. Based on what I see, I think the two expansions will collapse down into the base box and one expansion box, with some room left over for future expansions. Of course, I'm just speculating at this point based on images of the expansion boxes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anduin wrote:
Noahboa wrote:

Just to prove you guys wrong

Thats. Not. Paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and fellow investigator has adorned his bases with textured sand/grain and it looks great - much better than the default plain black bases. Personally, I scrapped the included bases altogether and used third-party clear acrylic bases instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Thats. Not. Paint.

I knew someone would say that
(though, the exact words should be "that's not ONLY paint)
But if that is your only comment to this amazingness, I can't help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for anyone who was subscribed to this thread. This product seems to be available from go7 now. I'm very tempted. It looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed. Our MOM-001 storage solution is now available. It certainly won't handle those beautiful adorned bases in the images above, but if you don't adorn your bases, I think you will be happy with what I have designed.

I'm a little bummed with the box quality of the expansions. I will need some time to consider insert options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgriggs wrote:
It is indeed. Our MOM-001 storage solution is now available. It certainly won't handle those beautiful adorned bases in the images above, but if you don't adorn your bases, I think you will be happy with what I have designed.

I'm a little bummed with the box quality of the expansions. I will need some time to consider insert options...

The new expansions wont fit in the insert on the website, for the base game? Damn.

Looks very nice, though. Still contemplating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stockton
msg tools
mb
I have Go7s for Imperial Assault (all three), Marvel Legendary (2), and Blood Rage. These are the best inserts made. Period.

I am close to buying the insert for MoM2 but i have both of expansions and see it will not fit everything.

Also, I plan on rebasing the medium and small monsters on clear circular bases. The large minis stand just fine on their own.

So I am at a bit of a crossroads on what to do. I don't want to just pile the figures into the boxes and omit the nice rail system Go7 is using. Plus they will be painted.

Yes Bobby... You cannot use these expansions boxes for your inserts. WAY too flimsy, which is a bummer given the price tag.

How about some kind of "crate" or /"chest"??

Cheers to you. Great product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was a bit unhappy when I read what FFG had done... Well, I will have the expansions in hand in a couple of days and will need to decide what to do.

This smells of mass market, which MOM is not. Worse, this could be a sign of things to come from the new FFG, which is not a good sign. Sure, I want sturdy hobby game boxes for selfish reasons, but the average purchaser does not paint and then use custom storage solutions. Flimsy boxes will not last. /rant off

I guess I should wait until I have the boxes in hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed two new storage solutions for the expansion boxes. Those boxes are a bit thin, so I designed solutions that can be stored in the boxes, but also have the potential to be used alone. Check them out and as always, feedback is welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Picked up the mini inserts for the expansions. Amazing quality as always, but I do have a question. Where am I supposed to store the Cthonians?

EDIT* I think I figured it out, there seems to be space in the main box insert where the haunting horror and riot minis are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Another question, there doesn't seem to be enough space for the investigators? The small box for investigators seems to hold 4 in each rail system. There are 16 total investigators only seems to hold 12 comfortably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
Another question, there doesn't seem to be enough space for the investigators? The small box for investigators seems to hold 4 in each rail system. There are 16 total investigators only seems to hold 12 comfortably.

Hey Glen,

There is room for 4 additional investigators in the MOM-001 insert. Also, there are two open slots in the MOM-001 for the 2x Cthonians.

Once you have everything built, everything will have a place (base + 2x expansions to date.)

-Bobby

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Ya I opened up the base game box to put some stuff away and found the extra spots! Love these inserts. They quality is outstanding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.