10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Feedback on inital card designs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Dowhaniuk
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys! I am in the early stages of designing my first card game, mostly as a side hobby. I've decided on a card design and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The layout of the card is easy to read. The two things I don't like are how far the banner at the top with the cards name sticks out and the font.
The banner covers up too much of the artwork and the font is a little boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
The layout of the card is easy to read. The two things I don't like are how far the banner at the top with the cards name sticks out and the font.
The banner covers up too much of the artwork and the font is a little boring.

Agreed on both counts. The banner could be a tad smaller and higher up the card, to save the artwork.
Boring is the right word for the font.

Will the cards be on the table or always in your hand?

Love the artwork, btw !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OK Ediciones: Juegos de autor en Argentina - facebook.com/okediciones
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the styles don't fully match, too modern design on too epic artwork. Maybe try a not so neutral font?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Artwork is great but I'm not feeling the layout design. I'd probably go in a different direction. Some general tips:

- The aspect and framing doesn't look printable. You should decide what size the cards will be (ie. 2.5 x 3.5 inch poker) and design allowing full "bleeds" and "safe zones."

- Putting text directly on a variable color like that is a bad idea because it will seriously limit the shades of factions/elements you can use.

- Allow for more gametext room. Or you may find you need to shred your design or drastically shrink font-size.

Decipher's Lord of the Rings TCG had great functional and thematic template designs. You may not need as much detail but the way they did different factions, layout, and the game text box is worth studying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Twu
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
If the cards are standard size, some of the text may be too small to read easily. I actually kind of like the modern design - it looks like it could be a textbook illustration and makes me think of a magic university that operates in a present day setting... "office hours for Ignition 110A will be held in the sorcery quad on Thursdays from 11pm to 1am"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Malone
Ireland
flag msg tools
I like it as a first pass, but I have a few issues. As said before the font is a little boring. For a fantasy game I would lean towards a serif font, and maybe vary the weight a little for titles etc. I would also add a black border as mentioned above. The design as it currently stands would be very difficult to print correctly.

Perhaps reduce the opacity of the frame to allow more of the art to show underneath?

Definitely has potential, just needs a few more passes. Keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree about the font being boring. But the modern style overlays are sort of a refreshing departure from the usual fantasy-game fare. And I dig the side arch.

But definitely set up a template before doing anything. TheGameCrafter has a whole bunch of useful templates, like the ones on this page (top right, where it says Templates)

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/PokerDeck

It's also good practice to print out a copy to test your text legibility. Generally speaking you won't want text that's smaller than 9 point (at 300 dpi) But fonts can actually vary wildly in size: always best to do a hardcopy check.

Good luck with it!

(And make sure you get permission to use the artwork from the artists, Stefana Tserk and Perla Marina!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the design, its very easy to read. The art work looks awesome. My only criticism are that the text could be a little bigger and have you thought about bleed areas for when you get the game printed? But on the whole i love it! Very modern and refreshing card design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with much of what has been said so far. Check your bleed zones. I'm sure you'll discover that some of your text will be chopped off. The layout compared to the artwork, well, it takes away from it. A more dynamic font would really help you here. The square around the title does cut in too much. I can see you don't want to go with typical square layouts, but there is a reason so many designers use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.