Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Is Scythe for me? (Ameritrash gamer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get away from this game at the moment and all I hear down my gaming shop is about Scythe. Now I saw it on KS and had no interest in it at the time, Euro games are not my thing and I much prefer games with a lot of story and theme. I get really bored with engine building games and anything with a farming theme or such just tends to send me to sleep. I guess you could say that I'm pretty much an Ameritrash gamer and I like co-op games more than anything. I do however enjoy Blood Rage and I've got Cry Havoc on the way. When it comes to taste I like my games fast paced or with lots of story or action (Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition or something like Dead of Winter).

Still people won't shut up about this game so I feel like I have to play it, i'm just not sure it's for me. I've tried time and time again to get into euros and even tried some heavy euros but found myself wanting to return to a thematic co-op or something with a faster pace. The heaviest game I own is probably Age of Conan with the expansion. Would you say as someone that doesn't like euros I should give it a shot or is there just not enough difference between this and other euros that I should give it a miss.

I'm not saying euros are bad or anything, just that they aren't my taste at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are providing yourself with your own replies XD. If you don't like euros, Scythe won't probably be your cup of tea. The game is beautiful and all, but it's mostly a brilliant engine building game. It's not even a full 4x (combat is not primordial and the map tiles are fixed, so exploration is limited to certain events and the Factory cards -this has been discussed a lot, and I would call it a "real 2.5x").

I would recommend you to at least try it or read the rules before taking the plunge, for it's not exactly cheap. On the other hand, If you grab it and dislike it, you will probably have the chance to sell it at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is definitely primarily an engine-building Euro. It has more interaction than a lot of the classic Euros like say Agricola, including of course the combat - but it's much better thought of in those terms than as a "thematic" or "story-telling" game.

Personally I much prefer Euros and don't care much for theme as an essential feature - so I'm pretty much the opposite of you. But while I could be wrong, I suspect you're not going to be too interested in Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the reason I was asking because I've heard some people say I should give it a try even if I'm not into euro games because of this change or that change to the game that makes it different to other euros, though that may just be people wanting to get it onto the table at my local store. How euro would you say Scythe is? When it comes to dudes on a map kind of games I like lots of brutal combat and such, though Blood Rage was a bit different with all the strategies and learning how to use different card combinations. (of course not as deep as something like Scythe of course.) I also like Cthulhu Wars and I'm really looking forward to Glorantha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to look over the rulebook but I think my gut feeling is that this game isn't for me. It's just hard not to get swept up in all the hype around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Csepregi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely give it a chance. I am the same kind of player as you, I like thematic, cooperative games the most. I do not like heavy euros or anything with cubes, really This game caught my eyes becaue of its graphic design and I backed it on KS as an impulse thing. But boy, is this a great game! It is quick, streamlined, and gives you a satisfying feeling from round to round. It won't turn me into a euro gamer for sure, but Scythe satisfies all my perverse little euro needs as an amerithrash gamer for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusionmonkey87 wrote:
Well the reason I was asking because I've heard some people say I should give it a try even if I'm not into euro games because of this change or that change to the game that makes it different to other euros, though that may just be people wanting to get it onto the table at my local store. How euro would you say Scythe is? When it comes to dudes on a map kind of games I like lots of brutal combat and such, though Blood Rage was a bit different with all the strategies and learning how to use different card combinations. (of course not as deep as something like Scythe of course.) I also like Cthulhu Wars and I'm really looking forward to Glorantha.

I'd say it's a hybrid that's coming from the Euro side of the aisle, myself - Maybe 70-80% Euro?

The combat? Really isn't brutal at all - It uses a streamlined version of the Dune system, while bribing you to try and accumulate more of the resource you're spending in combat meaning you don't always want to spend enough to guarantee a win if you can even if you have no reason to worry about future combats, but only sends stuff back to base (So is useful for taking a hex, and is useful for disrupting an engine at just the right time while stealing someone's resources, but the threat of combat is more present than combat in my experience, and I think Jamey indicated that in playtesting there are an average of N+1 combats where N is the player count, which seems to line up with my two player experience.

Now... It might be a Euro leaning hybrid you enjoy - some primarily Amerithrashers seem to, others detest it - but based on what you've said, be sure to try the game - at least heavy dive into play throughs and reviews - before you even think of putting any money down. (But you seem to be asking if it's worth you trying it? That's not really a question I understand conceptually; there are very few games I don't consider worth my time trying, but then I'm an omnigamer who likes to get a handle on how games tick under the hood and playing a wide variety of games helps for that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you say I certainly wouldn't buy it. I'm not convinced you ll like it either . I'm a themeaphile myself being a Wargamer but I enjoy ameritrash and play a lot of Euros and prefer heavier themed Euros .

This is fundamentally a pretty engine builder there is some conflict and area control but nothing like Blood Rage for example. The theme is fine and the production fantastic but you ll definitely be in the 'meh' camp for gameplay.

(Have to disagree with the lost poster , I'd put it 90%+ Euro !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusionmonkey87 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to look over the rulebook but I think my gut feeling is that this game isn't for me. It's just hard not to get swept up in all the hype around it.

Mark, is there no way you could play someone else's copy?. Game club or someone local?.
Where about in uk are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pereira
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
bluekingzog wrote:
From what you say I certainly wouldn't buy it. I'm not convinced you ll like it either . I'm a themeaphile myself being a Wargamer but I enjoy ameritrash and play a lot of Euros and prefer heavier themed Euros .

This is fundamentally a pretty engine builder there is some conflict and area control but nothing like Blood Rage for example. The theme is fine and the production fantastic but you ll definitely be in the 'meh' camp for gameplay.

(Have to disagree with the lost poster , I'd put it 90%+ Euro !)

My thoughts exactly.

All the people telling you otherwise are just wanting to play it and/or wearing their hype colored glasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCLAIMER: I work for Stonemaier Games and was lead on the included solo mode.

In my opinion Scythe is a Euro and while it has combat and in my opinion a lot of theme, then Jamey chose streamlined Euro mechanics over Ameritrashy theme heavy special rules and exception.

From your OP I think it likely that there are a lot of games out there that would be more to your liking than Scythe.

If you're willing to spend some time on it then watch a gameplay video or better yet follow the suggestion of others above me a play a game with someone else's copy. If you don't have the time or inclination to do that, then I'd advice you to spend your money or something else that has a better chance of being Your kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I work for Stonemaier Games and was lead on the included solo mode.

In my opinion Scythe is a Euro and while it has combat and in my opinion a lot of theme, then Jamey chose streamlined Euro mechanics over Ameritrashy theme heavy special rules and exception.

From your OP I think it likely that there are a lot of games out there that would be more to your liking than Scythe.

If you're willing to spend some time on it then watch a gameplay video or better yet follow the suggestion of others above me a play a game with someone else's copy. If you don't have the time or inclination to do that, then I'd advice you to spend your money or something else that has a better chance of being Your kind of game.

Morten nails it. Absolutely give it a play, but don't buy it.

If you have any Euro-fans in your life, you'd be doing them a huge favor in convincing them to get it (or gifting it if you really, really love them) and you'd they'd likely end up with a game that you can play together without being terribly disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I took the advice and had a look at the rules book before having a go on someone elses copy over Sunday. It's a well put together game but it's just not for me. I didn't want to write it off completely before trying it but yeah, Euros just don't seem to me my cup of tea. On a plus side I did really like the artwork and the theme behind the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.